Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

12 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

I thought this was the dumbest thing when I first learnt about it and thought I would never download the app. After seeing this, I have rethought my position. This is really cool and I would participate at a show. Hopefully, by Saturday in Indy more and more people will do this so we can see a huge light up on finals night.

That is pretty cool. I didn't know that was going on, so thanks to charlie for sharing that.. A little cheesy and corny? Yeah, maybe. Innovative, creative and gets you talking about their show? Absofrigginlutely. 

Edited by OldSnareDrummer

Just now, OldSnareDrummer said:

That is pretty cool. I didn't know what was going on, so thanks to charlie for sharing that.. A little cheesy and corny? Yeah, maybe. Innovative, creative and gets you talking about their show? Absofrigginlutely. 

While I think plenty in Crown’s show is cheesy and corny, I don’t think this is. I think it’s really cool. It would be great if most fans would do it, but we’ll have to see. I know my mom wouldn’t know how to download it if she was in the stands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, henry7184 said:

I would have responded to this earlier but DCP put me in a time out. Obviously, I need to work on expressing myself better, and communicating in a more thoughtful and kind way. I will try. I’m not always going to succeed but I will try.

Coming to the Crown thread and laughing at several comments (I’ll get to that below) does not make one a BD fan. I’m not sure why you, and possibly others, associate that with BD and think I’m a BD fan because of it. How does laughing at comments or being critical of Crown automatically make one a BD fan? I’ve never said I was a fan of BD, I’ve never said I like their show (although I believe it is the seasons best it’s not one of my favorites), and I don’t think I’ve even visited or posted in the 2022 BD thread. The only things I’ve ever said about BD this year are:

1. They have deserved everything they’ve gotten. This is true.
  2. Unless you (any corps) beat BD head-to-head you ain’t the leader. This is also true.
  3. They are the best corps in DCI. Yet another truth and it will be true as long as the path to the championship goes through Concord, which it has done every year since 2006.
  4. I believe they are going to win out this year.

Just because I believe all the above does not mean I am a BD fan. Classical music is my passion and BD doesn’t generally fit that mold. Even though I am more a fan of the activity than specific corps these days, I still consider my favorite corps to be Vanguard, Regiment, Cadets and believe it or not Crown. I know that’s hard to believe, because in all fairness I haven’t said anything positive about Crown this year (I’ll work to change that), and anytime one is critical of Crown they are seemingly deemed a hater by Crown fans. I understand why you all would think I’m a hater, as I admit I have done a very poor job in expressing my opinions in a non-nasty way (nasty to many of you, and nasty to Crown). But, why can’t one like something and be critical of it? I’m highly critical because I am massively frustrated that their design staff just doesn’t get what it takes to design a championship show and that frustration leads me to focus only on the negative and ignore the positive. They have the talent to win it all, but since 2015 they haven’t put out a design worthy of winning. I also get extremely frustrated when people try to diminish the success of a person or group of people (in this case BD) by claiming they win for any other reason than they are the best. Now, on to why I laugh at comments.

If one says something ridiculous, like “Brass & Guard judge lost their mind” I’m going to laugh at that, and when you said “here come the BD fans” I laughed because I’m not a BD fan and you are making inaccurate assumptions. However, I should not have laughed at your comment and I apologize for that. Now, back to judging. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again:

1. No one on this forum is qualified to judge all captions simultaneously. 
  2. 99+% of people on here aren’t even qualified to judge one caption, although many think they are. Marching for years doesn’t give one the experience, knowledge and expertise necessary to judge. Playing trumpet for 15 years and judging an entire brass line are two completely different things. Participating in drum corps does not make one qualified to judge it.
  3. Not even a qualified judge can judge all captions. For example, a brass judge may possibly be able to judge musical analysis and GE (from the music angle) in a pinch, but they certainly can’t judge percussion, guard, GE (from the visual angle), visual analysis, or visual proficiency (unless they have additional expertise), yet many posters here think they themselves can judge all captions, simultaneously. It’s absurd.
  4. No one, whether a qualified judge or not, can judge a performance from a stream. Saying the brass judge lost their mind based on a streaming performance makes no sense. The person saying that is not qualified to judge and even if they were we are not hearing the performance as we would were we in the stadium or down on the field. We’re hearing it streamed over the internet by a service that controls what we hear and how we hear it, and has frequent technical issues that impact the sound.
  5. I won’t even go into bias, but we all have bias and that certainly impacts our perception. It took me years to get over my anti-BD bias.

As long as people continue to be armchair judges, make outlandish comments regarding judging, and try to diminish BDs success by making comments like “Brass and Guard judge lost their mind” you will find me laughing. At this point, that is the best response.

Please don’t associate comments or laughs with a specific corps or fans of that corps, because you can be wrong, and in this case you are. It’s possible to not care for something and recognize its greatness (BD), and to also like something and recognize its shortcomings (Crown).

Lastly, I am truly sorry if I have contributed to you leaving this site. If you’re still here, please try not to take it all so seriously. Pot calling kettle black, I know, but I’m a work in progress. We all are. I take things so seriously that I just shoot off with the mouth before really taking the time to edit. Due to my time out and jetleg, I have had a while to work on this and edit it, and I think it’s better than what I’d normally shoot off with.

Props if you read all of this. I know it’s a lot, but I had a lot to say.

That was my comment and yes I am a judge in my circuit and no this comment had nothing to do with BD because I enjoy their show. 

I for one could careless what anyone thinks because thats my own opinion that many in my circle agrees and yes many of them are also judges. No one knows what that comment meant and everyone thinks they know but no one bothered to ask me personally what I meant by it. 

I was not bothered by the laugh emojis.

On 7/26/2022 at 12:10 AM, KVG_DC said:

it was a cleaner run visually for sure.  

I was watching for the snares movement mentioned earlier and didn't really notice it.  I'm convinced the issue is largely the pit book being not as on par as some of the other pits. It's a crazy tight year with top percussion lines and I'd pay more attention to the scoring gaps that the ordinals when gauging the impact of percussion on final placement.  But even there, if judges are using .1 to separate their ordinals, the 5th place line is gonna be nearly a half point back in percussion which has an impact of course.  

Can't be happy with a .7 spread in percussion between 1st and 2nd place. This is not a good sign. Not sure what they are down so much as I have not followed closely so you may be right about the book. 

1 hour ago, Flguardman said:

That was my comment and yes I am a judge in my circuit and no this comment had nothing to do with BD because I enjoy their show. 

I for one could careless what anyone thinks because thats my own opinion that many in my circle agrees and yes many of them are also judges. No one knows what that comment meant and everyone thinks they know but no one bothered to ask me personally what I meant by it. 

I was not bothered by the laugh emojis.

Well I think part of the problem is:

1. People say one line statements without any context, like “Brass and guard judge lost their mind.” If context had been added and an explanation given as to why you believe that, rather than a blanket statement, it would have been helpful. Of course, you don’t have to explain yourself, but if you don’t people are going to make assumptions. Like, I’m thinking how does this have nothing to do with BD when BD beat Crown in brass and guard. Saying they lost their mind is saying Crown should have scored better, which means they should have be closer to BD, so it is partially about BD, whether that was your intent or not.

2. You can say you’re a judge and maybe you are, maybe you aren’t. But, we’re all faceless and nameless on here, so I could say I’m the Queen of England and maybe I am and maybe I’m not.

3. I doubt you’re a brass AND guard judge. Therefore, if you’re a brass judge, you really can’t comment on guard, and visa versa.

4. Unless you or any other judge were there, in person, you really can’t make such an assertion. One cannot judge a performance from a video. 

5. I’m sure a lot of people agree with you, but I’m also sure a lot of people don’t, including judges who I know for a fact are judges and were there, in person, judging from the field or the box.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Well I think part of the problem is:

1. People say one line statements without any context, like “Brass and guard judge lost their mind.” If context had been added and an explanation given as to why you believe that, rather than a blanket statement, it would have been helpful. Of course, you don’t have to explain yourself, but if you don’t people are going to make assumptions.

2. You can say you’re a judge and maybe you are, maybe you aren’t. But, we’re all faceless and nameless on here, so I could say I’m the Queen of England and maybe I am and maybe I’m not.

3. I doubt you’re a brass AND guard judge. Therefore, if you’re a brass judge, you really can’t comment on guard, and visa versa.

4. Unless you or any other judge was there, in person, you really can’t make such an assertion. One cannot judge a performance from a video. 

5. I’m sure a lot of people agree with you, but I’m also sure a lot of people don’t, including judges who I know for a fact are judges and were there, in person, judging from the field or the box.

I do think everybody has the ability to comment on a section. Doesn’t mean I or anyone should put any weight on the substance of the comments. 

• Like 1

Just now, jaylogan said:

I don’t know what you said to get the moderators to put you in “time-out” but I agree with everything you’ve said in your post. If a laugh reaction is enough for people to report you, maybe we should all lighten up a bit!

No, it wasn’t the laugh reaction that got me reported. I’m not sure what it was but they said “abusive behavior” in this thread. I think it was maybe when I told Incognito I didn’t like him. I’m not sure. I am glad they did put me in a time out. I want to be here and be part of this community. I am thankful they didn’t ban me.

I am sometimes a nice person. I am sometimes a kind person. I am sometimes a thoughtful person. I am sometimes a generous person. I am also sometimes a complete jerk. Unfortunately, that side of me is mostly what I’ve shown on here, so the time out was a nice reminder of that. To think before I respond and to edit to get my point across without being nasty.

I appreciate the support. I stand by every single thing I have said about Crown this season, but I do not like how I delivered those thoughts. I was wrong in how I approached these conversations.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, henry7184 said:

I would have responded to this earlier but DCP put me in a time out. Obviously, I need to work on expressing myself better, and communicating in a more thoughtful and kind way. I will try. I’m not always going to succeed but I will try.

Coming to the Crown thread and laughing at several comments (I’ll get to that below) does not make one a BD fan. I’m not sure why you, and possibly others, associate that with BD and think I’m a BD fan because of it. How does laughing at comments or being critical of Crown automatically make one a BD fan? I’ve never said I was a fan of BD, I’ve never said I like their show (although I believe it is the seasons best it’s not one of my favorites), and I don’t think I’ve even visited or posted in the 2022 BD thread. The only things I’ve ever said about BD this year are:

1. They have deserved everything they’ve gotten. This is true.
  2. Unless you (any corps) beat BD head-to-head you ain’t the leader. This is also true.
  3. They are the best corps in DCI. Yet another truth and it will be true as long as the path to the championship goes through Concord, which it has done every year since 2006.
  4. I believe they are going to win out this year.

Just because I believe all the above does not mean I am a BD fan. Classical music is my passion and BD doesn’t generally fit that mold. Even though I am more a fan of the activity than specific corps these days, I still consider my favorite corps to be Vanguard, Regiment, Cadets and believe it or not Crown. I know that’s hard to believe, because in all fairness I haven’t said anything positive about Crown this year (I’ll work to change that), and anytime one is critical of Crown they are seemingly deemed a hater by Crown fans. I understand why you all would think I’m a hater, as I admit I have done a very poor job in expressing my opinions in a non-nasty way (nasty to many of you, and nasty to Crown). But, why can’t one like something and be critical of it? I’m highly critical because I am massively frustrated that their design staff just doesn’t get what it takes to design a championship show and that frustration leads me to focus only on the negative and ignore the positive. They have the talent to win it all, but since 2015 they haven’t put out a design worthy of winning. I also get extremely frustrated when people try to diminish the success of a person or group of people (in this case BD) by claiming they win for any other reason than they are the best. Now, on to why I laugh at comments.

If one says something ridiculous, like “Brass & Guard judge lost their mind” I’m going to laugh at that, and when you said “here come the BD fans” I laughed because I’m not a BD fan and you are making inaccurate assumptions. However, I should not have laughed at your comment and I apologize for that. Now, back to judging. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again:

1. No one on this forum is qualified to judge all captions simultaneously. 
  2. 99+% of people on here aren’t even qualified to judge one caption, although many think they are. Marching for years doesn’t give one the experience, knowledge and expertise necessary to judge. Playing trumpet for 15 years and judging an entire brass line are two completely different things. Participating in drum corps does not make one qualified to judge it.
  3. Not even a qualified judge can judge all captions. For example, a brass judge may possibly be able to judge musical analysis and GE (from the music angle) in a pinch, but they certainly can’t judge percussion, guard, GE (from the visual angle), visual analysis, or visual proficiency (unless they have additional expertise), yet many posters here think they themselves can judge all captions, simultaneously. It’s absurd.
  4. No one, whether a qualified judge or not, can judge a performance from a stream. Saying the brass judge lost their mind based on a streaming performance makes no sense. The person saying that is not qualified to judge and even if they were we are not hearing the performance as we would were we in the stadium or down on the field. We’re hearing it streamed over the internet by a service that controls what we hear and how we hear it, and has frequent technical issues that impact the sound.
  5. I won’t even go into bias, but we all have bias and that certainly impacts our perception. It took me years to get over my anti-BD bias.

As long as people continue to be armchair judges, make outlandish comments regarding judging, and try to diminish BDs success by making comments like “Brass and Guard judge lost their mind” you will find me laughing. At this point, that is the best response.

Please don’t associate comments or laughs with a specific corps or fans of that corps, because you can be wrong, and in this case you are. It’s possible to not care for something and recognize its greatness (BD), and to also like something and recognize its shortcomings (Crown).

Lastly, I am truly sorry if I have contributed to you leaving this site. If you’re still here, please try not to take it all so seriously. Pot calling kettle black, I know, but I’m a work in progress. We all are. I take things so seriously that I just shoot off with the mouth before really taking the time to edit. Due to my time out and jetleg, I have had a while to work on this and edit it, and I think it’s better than what I’d normally shoot off with.

Props if you read all of this. I know it’s a lot, but I had a lot to say.

I’m not sure what this is all about, I never saw the “laugh” comment.   But I think everyone needs to grow thicker skins and not get offended so easily by little comments here and there.  

• Like 3

Just now, wigwam said:

I’m not sure what this is all about, I never saw the “laugh” comment.   But I think everyone needs to grow thicker skins and not get offended so easily by little comments here and there.  

No, no, no. I was sent to DCP purgatory before I made the laugh comment. I’m not sure why, like I said, but I think I know.  

On 7/23/2022 at 1:10 PM, chris ncsu said:

I have an extra Nightbeat ticket, DM if interested. Section 5 Row AA.

Bump. I think this is a good seat, can talk price.