Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

Just now, skevinp said:

Maybe they care more about entertaining the fans than placement.  Even after years of designing these kinds of shows (people seem to be saying) they keep getting kids who are, as you say, amazingly talented, and I’m sure those kids aren’t stupid, and know what to expect.

So maybe they aren’t really suffering.  Maybe they are even having a blast.  

I hope that is the case!  They certainly are successful in that regard, and have been for a long, long time. One if my all time favorite drum corps shows was Rach Star!  I hope their corps careers are filled with achievement and great memories that last a life time.  But that makes the excuses, the accusations, and the deflections from the posters here even more unnecessary!  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

Truth (since you asked)?  My intent is to share my opinion.  I accept that people may feel differently.  As a viewer of the show, (and a donor), i feel i have that right. I generally read multiple threads, but don’t comment often except for the Devils thread, and the show thread for whichever show we are all watching.  the Crown thread is one i follow because it fascinates me every year.  Why?  Because some of you (NOT most of you) refuse to admit that maybe your corps just isn’t getting it done. Every season it starts with “this is THE year. This show is a beast!”  Now, EVERY corps starts the year with high hopes, so that, in itself is NOT unique. What IS unique is that your comments follow a very specific path: show is going to win, then show is unbeatable. Then once you don’t win you start with the judges being biased, corps playing to the sheets, order of appearance, ad nauseum.  I RARELY see that kind of stuff on the other threads.  I usually see stuff like “hey, we have a great show but so do they and they beat us today!”  THIS year someone here added allegations that other corps must be marching sick kids because they don’t have as many (or any) holes.  Likely the truth is that they did a better job keeping their kids well.

You see conspiracy everywhere, where there is none. Maybe look within. And accept that your show is great, but a GREATER show exists. It doesn’t diminish Crown to put in their best effort and not come in first. 

i never said anything one way or the other about the app. But you raised it in response to my reply.  

This. Exactly. Bwise is the one who is trying to illicit a reaction out of people. I come to the Crown thread for the reasons you state (it's fascinating, Crown is so polarizing) and also because I just love Crown. I love them for what they are. After 2016, I never expect them to win. But, when discussions start up and Crownies start making these bold statements about how they're going to win, I'm going to chime in and say why I think they aren't going to win. But, you're right - at Broken Arrow it was performance order. Then when that was proven incorrect, it was judges being biased against them or the brass and guard judge losing their mind. Then when Bluecoats pass them up, it's because Crown is suffering from Covid. A lot of these Crownies would actually save themselves some grief if they just listened to those of us who know what we are talking about from the beginning. Then they would learn something, perhaps, and see those of us critical of Crown are for a reason and we're not haters.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Maybe they care more about entertaining the fans than placement.  Even after years of designing these kinds of shows (people seem to be saying) they keep getting kids who are, as you say, amazingly talented, and I’m sure those kids aren’t stupid, and know what to expect.

I can say with certainty that Crown would like to medal.  But I can also confirm with certainty your statement that Crown prefers first to design a show that fans love and kids want to perform.  I can say this with certainty because they’ve stated this.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, skevinp said:

It's still a competitive activity. People (not all) join corps like Crown to win. When I marched we were always told not to worry about the scores, we don't care about scores, that's not why we're here and blah, blah, blah, but everyone cared about the scores, and when we were getting beat by our rivals no one was happy about it.

The crowd reaction is definitely some type of consolation and I knew that great crowd at Murfs was going to go berserk for them, but there's no way those kids weren't disappointed when they got 4th last night. Been there, done that myself. It's great when you're the crowd favorite (or one of them) but it's not great when multiple corps start passing you up.  

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DWW11 said:

Truth (since you asked)?  My intent is to share my opinion.  I accept that people may feel differently.  As a viewer of the show, (and a donor), i feel i have that right. I generally read multiple threads, but don’t comment often except for the Devils thread, and the show thread for whichever show we are all watching.  the Crown thread is one i follow because it fascinates me every year.  Why?  Because some of you (NOT most of you) refuse to admit that maybe your corps just isn’t getting it done. Every season it starts with “this is THE year. This show is a beast!”  Now, EVERY corps starts the year with high hopes, so that, in itself is NOT unique. What IS unique is that your comments follow a very specific path: show is going to win, then show is unbeatable. Then once you don’t win you start with the judges being biased, corps playing to the sheets, order of appearance, ad nauseum.  I RARELY see that kind of stuff on the other threads.  I usually see stuff like “hey, we have a great show but so do they and they beat us today!”  THIS year someone here added allegations that other corps must be marching sick kids because they don’t have as many (or any) holes.  Likely the truth is that they did a better job keeping their kids well.

You see conspiracy everywhere, where there is none. Maybe look within. And accept that your show is great, but a GREATER show exists. It doesn’t diminish Crown to put in their best effort and not come in first. 

i never said anything one way or the other about the app. But you raised it in response to my reply.  

I just honestly ask .. what is the point of coming here to say “your corps” just isn’t getting it done. There have been far better shows than Crown many years. This IS the place to be a homer if there is any place to be one. So why can’t you let it be … as if your opinion is more valid than any one else’s.  I guess you’re claiming your right to come post your theories just like anyone else .. duly noted but I don’t think you can really expect this thread to agree and say yeah Crown ain’t getting there this year. And even if they don’t so what?  What’s the harm in positively supporting them? 

post script 

A lot of the reaction you see in this thread is directly to folks trying to provoke. Which you can only ignore so much. Crown was barely on the field at preview and the hen house was already going. 

Edited by BWise

58 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

Every season it starts with “this is THE year. This show is a beast!”

Actually, 2018 was—LITERALLY—a BEAST.

If in name only…

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BWise said:

I just honestly ask .. what is the point of coming here to say “your corps” just isn’t getting it done. There have been far better shows than Crown many years. This IS the place to be a homer if there is any place to be one. So why can’t you let it be … as if your opinion is more valid than any one else’s.  I guess you’re claiming your right to come post your theories just like anyone else .. duly noted but I don’t think you can really expect this thread to agree and say yeah Crown ain’t getting there this year. And even if they don’t so what?  What’s the harm in positively supporting them? 

post script 

A lot of the reaction you see in this thread is directly to folks trying to provoke. Which you can only ignore so much. 

I never expected everyone or ANYONE to agree with me, but my opinion is worth as much as anyone else’s. You do someone a disservice by puffing them up just to make them feel better. That’s how people get on American Idol, thinking they are the next big thing because Mom said they have the best voice in the world, when they don’t. These are kids, but mostly older kids, who, by the very act of auditioning, have decided they are old enough to hear the truth. And did you ever think that THEY may feel they have disappointed YOU because they haven’t placed as well as YOU think they should?  How much pressure is that?

As for provoking….  A few on this thread seem to want to set the rules for this thread, and that seems unreasonable to me. As long as our posts meet the rules of the overall site, we should feel free to comment anywhere.  

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

I never expected everyone or ANYONE to agree with me, but my opinion is worth as much as anyone else’s. You do someone a disservice by puffing them up just to make them feel better. That’s how people get on American Idol, thinking they are the next big thing because Mom said they have the best voice in the world, when they don’t. These are kids, but mostly older kids, who, by the very act of auditioning, have decided they are old enough to hear the truth. And did you ever think that THEY may feel they have disappointed YOU because they haven’t placed as well as YOU think they should?  How much pressure is that?

As for provoking….  A few on this thread seem to want to set the rules for this thread, and that seems unreasonable to me. As long as our posts meet the rules of the overall site, we should feel free to comment anywhere.  

You should ignore this person. Seriously, not worth it. He is being so condescending to you. 

This is the Carolina Crown 2022 thread, not the Friends of Carolina Crown 2022 thread. The whole point of this forum is for us to discuss the activity and join the discussions we want to join. The Crownies just can't handle the truth, so anytime anyone is critical of the show they can't handle it. What they can't handle even more is when our "theories" are proven to be correct and they are proven wrong. 

Bwise bashed me in the Broken Arrow thread (a day or two before the show) after one Crownie said BD and Crown are definitely in the top 2 and that won't change all season. I said we don't know that - Crown hadn't seen BD or SCV and they saw Bluecoats once, for all we know Crown could be 4th or 5th. I was basically called stupid and he told me to call him after the show, as he was going to be right and I was going to be wrong.

They speak in absolutes, we speak in possibilities. I never hear the words "maybe," "could," "might." That would be completely different and I wouldn't have to come for them if they didn't speak in absolutes.

Supporting your corps is one thing, but trashing other corps and the judges when your corps doesn't win is another thing all together. I only see this on the Crown thread.

Edited by henry7184
  • Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

I can’t help but wonder, as I’m watching BD, how this season doesn’t impact recruiting for Crown in a negative way. Or the past several seasons for that matter. 

Well especially with the increased membership numbers. More spots in BD means more people are going there.

• Like 1