Bonfiglio/27th dispute

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

That’s what killed the United Way type fundraising they used to have where I worked. Used to get a booklet with all the groups. Then one year they added percentage that went to “administrative costs” and some of the groups were 😳

I worked a job briefly many years ago where they (the UW) came in and did a "hard-sell" presentation and then pushed for folks to sign on the dotted line for direct payroll deduction...I simply said, "I give to my church and the Salvation Army" and left it at that.  Around one year later was a large national "scandal", when it was disclosed that the CEO of the United Way at that time was getting "rock star" level pay in the millions.......I will say that since that, they have cleaned up a bit, as have others.....sadly, the "law" still allows BS....."The United States Supreme Court has ruled that solicitation of contributions is a form of speech and, therefore, no government entity can limit how much an organization may spend on fundraising, administrative fees, etc.".........this "loophole" has created a world of very "unethical" behavior, but those involved are usually adept at avoiding any criminal prosecution.  Still, non-profit "grading/rating" throws a total red flag at any entity where administrative costs/etc. are listed as over 25% of funds taken in, and many really good charities earnestly try to keep that number even under 10%.  Also, they have to make their 990's public, so that can expose them.

• Like 2

This situation has gotten so complicated over the years and it is too bad. If you followed the old 27th FB page, you may recall heated posts around 2011 or so when a 2012 reunion was in the works which turned out to be a disaster. If you know people who attended and they shared stories, you wouldn’t believe them. 

We’re talking about four good people, two of whom have one vision of their father’s legacy, and two of whom have a different perspective. Two of the four who battled in court are not exactly shrinking violets either. Both sets of siblings view their parents as saints, but in the case of their father both see a very different man and very different opinions of the legacy of 27th. 

Many people commenting know at least by reputation one of the individuals involved, people in the Boston area involved with drum corps in the late 60’s-80’s may know three or all four personally. They are good people and all of this could have been settled out of court. Unfortunately it was not and it’s probably not over. However, if you know 27th Lancers and it’s history, one minute they are a big happy family, the next it’s a world war. It was often described by alums as “political” and there were always factions, alumni from one era would not associate with alumni from other times. Some years the corps was concerned about the good of the activity, other years they were fierce competitors with no regard to anyone else. Some believed George B should have stepped aside to let someone direct the corps rather than disband it. Some folks wanted to restart the corps which also went to court and there was an attempt to start an aiumni corps called Light Brigade. There are some who still believe the rise of Garfield Cadets killed 27th and there could be some truth to that and one daughter directing Cadets, though more recent has not helped, especially when she is compared to her father as a director with a heart like her mother. 

All of this is a long intro to something we need to be keeping in mind. This is at its core a family dispute. Over the years too many people involved with 27th got into family matters because George B and Patsy were surrogate parents for so many. Being father like is one thing, but it is not the same as actually being the parent. Too many people have put their noses in this situation who should have stayed out of it. Just because he shook your hand one day does not mean you knew the man. Just because you marched with 27th does not make you a Bonfiglio. I would also be careful about making too many snap judgments about especially about Denise or Patte. This is probably not over.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, Tim K said:

This situation has gotten so complicated over the years and it is too bad. If you followed the old 27th FB page, you may recall heated posts around 2011 or so when a 2012 reunion was in the works which turned out to be a disaster. If you know people who attended and they shared stories, you wouldn’t believe them. 

We’re talking about four good people, two of whom have one vision of their father’s legacy, and two of whom have a different perspective. Two of the four who battled in court are not exactly shrinking violets either. Both sets of siblings view their parents as saints, but in the case of their father both see a very different man and very different opinions of the legacy of 27th. 

Many people commenting know at least by reputation one of the individuals involved, people in the Boston area involved with drum corps in the late 60’s-80’s may know three or all four personally. They are good people and all of this could have been settled out of court. Unfortunately it was not and it’s probably not over. However, if you know 27th Lancers and it’s history, one minute they are a big happy family, the next it’s a world war. It was often described by alums as “political” and there were always factions, alumni from one era would not associate with alumni from other times. Some years the corps was concerned about the good of the activity, other years they were fierce competitors with no regard to anyone else. Some believed George B should have stepped aside to let someone direct the corps rather than disband it. Some folks wanted to restart the corps which also went to court and there was an attempt to start an aiumni corps called Light Brigade. There are some who still believe the rise of Garfield Cadets killed 27th and there could be some truth to that and one daughter directing Cadets, though more recent has not helped, especially when she is compared to her father as a director with a heart like her mother. 

All of this is a long intro to something we need to be keeping in mind. This is at its core a family dispute. Over the years too many people involved with 27th got into family matters because George B and Patsy were surrogate parents for so many. Being father like is one thing, but it is not the same as actually being the parent. Too many people have put their noses in this situation who should have stayed out of it. Just because he shook your hand one day does not mean you knew the man. Just because you marched with 27th does not make you a Bonfiglio. I would also be careful about making too many snap judgments about especially about Denise or Patte. This is probably not over.

Interesting read.......I can tell you that Mr. B was not a happy camper after 1981 when he lost Mr. Z, Miss Twigs, and Mr. Sylvester to Garfield....and when the Cadets won the title in 1983, he rushed his corps to the buses with not a handshake....still, this isn't about Mr. B......nor is it about the family squabble over the corps name, alumni events, etc.........what I DO think is a HUGE concern (and the main concern) is that a charity was founded by DB for the supposed main purpose of providing scholarships for young people to march, and perhaps at the onset, things were genuine.  However,   when you take in over 14K in a calendar year, but only provide 2K in scholarships and the rest is "expenses"......thus over 76% administrative costs, and those being "questionable"....there are red flags all over the place.  Also, info from the plaintiffs indicate that they tried everything to reason with DB, to no avail....she was "running the show", and "FU"....even though Mr. B in his will directives gave control to the plaintiffs....a civil court ruling stands, and DB is liable for a large sum of money....she is the CEO of a major corps with a $2 million+ budget, and has the checkbook.......also, with 17 other Cadet board members, many new, and the final verdict just being a few weeks ago, I would not be surprised if Cadets board members know nothing of this......from an outsider's perspective, looking at the suit, the judge's remarks, and especially the 990's for the foundation, it would have taken me 5 minutes to reach my verdict (the same as the judges), and I would be wanting to take a serious look at Schedule O attachments for 7 years, and would also want to see verified bank balance and transactions for the foundation (as there is over 21K that is supposed to be currently in there....maybe it is...maybe it's not....it may sound "paltry" in today's terms, but that's 20 more $1K scholarships that could be awarded.......)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Wow what a wonderful culture and community drum corps is……. 🙄

You really need to get out with other groups more to see what they are like behind the scenes….

• Like 3

From the IRS Website:

"A section 501(c)(3) organization must not be organized or operated for the benefit of private interests, such as the creator or the creator's family, shareholders of the organization, other designated individuals, or persons controlled directly or indirectly by such private interests. No part of the net earnings of a section 501(c)(3) organization may inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual. A private shareholder or individual is a person having a personal and private interest in the activities of the organization."

Drum Corps, like any other exempt organization, are given the privilege of tax exemption, provided that they serve a public purpose. The cult of personality is poisonous in any charitable organization, and there are many unfortunate examples, particularly in our activity. There is another organization in the same region, which has seen the best of times and the worst of times. It has resisted the strong man form of governance, including surviving a nearly fatal period of upheaval, by using a board or directors, and casting the full light of day on its operations. No man is an island. No one is irreplaceable. No one owns a Drum and Bugle Corps.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, OldMrBoston said:

From the IRS Website:

"A section 501(c)(3) organization must not be organized or operated for the benefit of private interests, such as the creator or the creator's family, shareholders of the organization, other designated individuals, or persons controlled directly or indirectly by such private interests. No part of the net earnings of a section 501(c)(3) organization may inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual. A private shareholder or individual is a person having a personal and private interest in the activities of the organization."

Drum Corps, like any other exempt organization, are given the privilege of tax exemption, provided that they serve a public purpose. The cult of personality is poisonous in any charitable organization, and there are many unfortunate examples, particularly in our activity. There is another organization in the same region, which has seen the best of times and the worst of times. It has resisted the strong man form of governance, including surviving a nearly fatal period of upheaval, by using a board or directors, and casting the full light of day on its operations. No man is an island. No one is irreplaceable. No one owns a Drum and Bugle Corps.

Totally agree. with all that you say.  The Cadets have 17 on the board not including DB, with many new people.  They very well may not be aware of any of this or have had time to thoroughly examine things or to meet/discuss.  I am hopeful that they will deliberate and take appropriate actions.

1 hour ago, Bob984 said:

Interesting read.......I can tell you that Mr. B was not a happy camper after 1981 when he lost Mr. Z, Miss Twigs, and Mr. Sylvester to Garfield....and when the Cadets won the title in 1983, he rushed his corps to the buses with not a handshake....still, this isn't about Mr. B......nor is it about the family squabble over the corps name, alumni events, etc.........what I DO think is a HUGE concern (and the main concern) is that a charity was founded by DB for the supposed main purpose of providing scholarships for young people to march, and perhaps at the onset, things were genuine.  However,   when you take in over 14K in a calendar year, but only provide 2K in scholarships and the rest is "expenses"......thus over 76% administrative costs, and those being "questionable"....there are red flags all over the place.  Also, info from the plaintiffs indicate that they tried everything to reason with DB, to no avail....she was "running the show", and "FU"....even though Mr. B in his will directives gave control to the plaintiffs....a civil court ruling stands, and DB is liable for a large sum of money....she is the CEO of a major corps with a $2 million+ budget, and has the checkbook.......also, with 17 other Cadet board members, many new, and the final verdict just being a few weeks ago, I would not be surprised if Cadets board members know nothing of this......from an outsider's perspective, looking at the suit, the judge's remarks, and especially the 990's for the foundation, it would have taken me 5 minutes to reach my verdict (the same as the judges), and I would be wanting to take a serious look at Schedule O attachments for 7 years, and would also want to see verified bank balance and transactions for the foundation (as there is over 21K that is supposed to be currently in there....maybe it is...maybe it's not....it may sound "paltry" in today's terms, but that's 20 more $1K scholarships that could be awarded.......)

Are you suggesting that somehow Cadets will pay legal bills & judgement against DB, or, alternatively that DB will use Cadets funds for this purpose?