2022 Season Predictions

2 hours ago, radiosteele said:

I do not know enough to offer a knee-jerk prediction by ranks, but I want to offer some things to consider. 

1) Crown, BD and SCV - Performative stagnation and age-outs. With two years without significant on-the-field MIM activity, that is enough to provide experience continuity with younger members, I firmly believe this will impact these three corps who chose to not field for a full season last year. With corps rising to the challenge last year and maintaining (in some cases improving) their level of excellence, those others will get a jump on the usual favorites. Which leads me to my second point.....

2) Boston, PR, Bluecoats, BK, Cavies - STEADY GROWTH. The 2021 season was wisely utilized by some corps to not only maintain their performative standards, but to push their ensemble to progress. I feel Boston's 2021 show would be very competitive in a normal year. If Phantom's reprisal of Harmonic Journey proved anything last year is that they have vastly improved their performance proficiency. Watch and listen to 2021 again not for nostalgia, but excellence. IF they continue on that track this year, Phantom will finish no lower than 7th. Of any sure bets I make this season, that is a hill I will die on. Less certain, but possible is either a Bluecoats or Boston victory. Finals has 12 corps for a reason, so I can't leave out......

3) Trends of the lower tier. Troopers, Colts, Pacific Crest, Crossmen and Madison Scouts. I feel the edgelord attitudes of folks dumping on Madison is based a lot more on them recently going co-ed than how they have grown in proficiency. The 2021 exhibition show was light-years beyond what was offered from the other 4 corps I have in this group. Crossmen truly struggled in their visual caption last year, I do not know how they can bounce back from it. Madison performed with swagger, polish, cleanliness and excellence. As much as the Troopers affect me sentimentally, the visual execution was not up to other finalist corps, although their musical captions were beastly. Colts and Pacific Crest will make the hunt for finals very interesting this year, but they will not pass Madison to accomplish that feat. I feel Crossmen will be the finalist corps to fall off this year IF they show no improvement in visual. If they do, well, the who the hell knows!?

4) Drum corps is finally back. I went ahead and subscribed to Flomarching with the recent announcement of new staff who actually understand staging and recording for the activity, and also that it will be the first time in three seasons we have had the activity back as it should be. The hunger and competitiveness of these groups to reestablish their identities will be savage. I expect some of the most captivating, aggressive, technical and entertaining shows in many years this summer. 

I know this is long, but I hardly post much anymore. I was a lot more mouthy back in the Y2K days 🙂

What's your take on Mandarins?

16 hours ago, radiosteele said:

I do not know enough to offer a knee-jerk prediction by ranks, but I want to offer some things to consider. 

1) Crown, BD and SCV - Performative stagnation and age-outs. With two years without significant on-the-field MIM activity, that is enough to provide experience continuity with younger members, I firmly believe this will impact these three corps who chose to not field for a full season last year. With corps rising to the challenge last year and maintaining (in some cases improving) their level of excellence, those others will get a jump on the usual favorites. Which leads me to my second point.....

2) Boston, PR, Bluecoats, BK, Cavies - STEADY GROWTH. The 2021 season was wisely utilized by some corps to not only maintain their performative standards, but to push their ensemble to progress. I feel Boston's 2021 show would be very competitive in a normal year. If Phantom's reprisal of Harmonic Journey proved anything last year is that they have vastly improved their performance proficiency. Watch and listen to 2021 again not for nostalgia, but excellence. IF they continue on that track this year, Phantom will finish no lower than 7th. Of any sure bets I make this season, that is a hill I will die on. Less certain, but possible is either a Bluecoats or Boston victory. Finals has 12 corps for a reason, so I can't leave out......

3) Trends of the lower tier. Troopers, Colts, Pacific Crest, Crossmen and Madison Scouts. I feel the edgelord attitudes of folks dumping on Madison is based a lot more on them recently going co-ed than how they have grown in proficiency. The 2021 exhibition show was light-years beyond what was offered from the other 4 corps I have in this group. Crossmen truly struggled in their visual caption last year, I do not know how they can bounce back from it. Madison performed with swagger, polish, cleanliness and excellence. As much as the Troopers affect me sentimentally, the visual execution was not up to other finalist corps, although their musical captions were beastly. Colts and Pacific Crest will make the hunt for finals very interesting this year, but they will not pass Madison to accomplish that feat. I feel Crossmen will be the finalist corps to fall off this year IF they show no improvement in visual. If they do, well, the who the hell knows!?

4) Drum corps is finally back. I went ahead and subscribed to Flomarching with the recent announcement of new staff who actually understand staging and recording for the activity, and also that it will be the first time in three seasons we have had the activity back as it should be. The hunger and competitiveness of these groups to reestablish their identities will be savage. I expect some of the most captivating, aggressive, technical and entertaining shows in many years this summer. 

I know this is long, but I hardly post much anymore. I was a lot more mouthy back in the Y2K days 🙂

I was hardly dumping on Madison.   My kid marched under the Madison umbrella for nine seasons.  It could go either way for them.  In or really close to making the cut.  I do agree about Crossmen, though. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

As much of a Cavies fan I am... at the end of the day I'm excited to have DCI back and I plan on standing and clapping for every single corps I see in Tomball (but Cavies even louder and prouder). Frankly, I'm happy to see all the fans taking pride in their favorite corps. Ahhhh I love it! 

The show is coming up.... omg, this is great! 

• Like 4

so Let’s try this again…

1 BD - it’s hard to believe they won’t come back hungry to defend their title.

2. Boston - I thought the corps took an extra step forward last season and would have been ultra competitive. If they’re going to make a move, I feel like this is the year to do it. 

3. Bluecoats - just becuase.

4. SCV - I really struggle with these next two, because I think both will contend the entire year. JD Shaw leaving for Regiment is a huge hole to fill. Jones will be on fire as always.

5. Crown - y’all know I’m a Crown homer, and I’m really excited about this season’s show. That said, I see them struggling with visual and GE this season. I haven’t been impressed with their work ethic on the visual side. Some sloppy feet mixed in. Yeah, it’s early, but winning championships starts in May. Horns are powerful as always, an outstanding line, but it looks like a younger group and something feels off right now.  Let’s hope they prove me wrong. 

6. Phantom Regiment - JD Shaw writing your book alone is worth about 5 spots. 

7. Cavaliers - if Phantom goes up, someone comes down. Sorry Cavies

8. Cadets - I really feel like this is their make it or break it year. This is probably a safe pick for me, but I do think they have the ability to surprise everyone and make a run at the top 5.

9. Blue Knights - got’em in this time, YES!

10. Mandarins - if there is one corps that could completely blow this prediction out of the water, it’s Mandarins. I believe they have the ability to be so much better than a 10th place corps, but this is where I have them for now.

11. Blue Stars - haven’t been the same since they changed music design team in 2018. 

12. Crossmen

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Radiosteele: What about the Cadets?...or did I miss something?

9 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

so Let’s try this again…

1 BD - it’s hard to believe they won’t coke back hungry to defend their title.

2. Boston - I thought the corps took an extra step forward last season and would have been ultra competitive. If they’re going to make a move, I feel like this is the year to do it. 

3. Bluecoats - just becuase.

4. SCV - I really struggle with these next two, because I think both will contend the entire year. JD Shaw leaving for Regiment is a huge hole.

5. Crown - y’all know I’m a Crown homer, and I’m really excited about this season’s show. That said, I see them struggling with visual and GE this season. I haven’t been impressed with their work ethic on the visual side. Some sloppy feet mixed in. Yeah, it’s early, but winning championships starts in May. Horns are powerful as always, an outstanding line, but it looks like a younger group and Something feels off right now.  Let’s hope they prove me wrong. 

6. Phantom Regiment - JD Shaw alone is worth about 5 spots. 

7. Cavaliers - if Phantom goes up, someone comes down. Sorry Cavies

8. Cadets - I really feel like this is their make it or break it year. This is probably a safe pick for me, but I do think they have the ability to surprise everyone and make a run at the top 5.

9. Blue Knights - got’em in this time, YES!

10. Mandarins

11. Blue Stars

12. Crossmen

Please define "coke back"

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, waliman4444 said:

Please define "coke back"

I think the poster meant "come back" as the K and M are close keys on keyboard...

• Thanks 1