Drum Corps at the Rose Bowl (June 25, 2022)

15 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Boy do the Blue Devils command the field. While I love this SCV show (and I get that some will not this year) the big difference between BD and SCV is how fresh the Blue Devils look and sound, even when they do things similar to previous years. Everyone does, of course. Nobody completely reinvents the wheel every year. But the Blue Devils have this way of presenting their show that is just incredible. 

The body movement in this show is outstanding and fresh. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the uniforms. This alone may put BD over SCV. I don't hate the all-white look on the corps proper with SCV, but they may have to make some adjustments. BD just looks fresh, bright, and professional. The brass book is wonderful and what a warn baritone sound they are achieving this year. SCV brass is really very good too but aside from some nice licks and I do like the music, the BD brass has to produce more in all ranges and at all volumes, not just safe MF volumes. BD Percussion is written so well this year, and I LOVE the pit writing and performing. 

As with 2019 I think the props in this show look so good and they are incredibly well used. This is another major difference between BD and SCV. Santa Clara props just look cheap and pointless compared to BD. I am afraid someone is going to fall with SCV where I feel BD can use their props so much more artistically. 

The scary thing is that this show is likely only 50 to 60% of what they still have to add. When this thing cleans...YIKES! Definitely a contender no doubt. If I went off of performance levels in 2019 I'd say only Bluecoats can maybe challenge this. But that is not how it works of course. None of us know how the season will progress, but I think we can say for certain that when this Blue Devils show cleans we are in for a treat and they will DEFINITELY contend. 

Bingo, BD looks like they have lost a step in the last 1049 days since they're last show. They were out there playing music, not notes... Music. They did what they've been doing for the past several years... Owning the stage.  If there's more to come, oh baby...

• Like 6

1 minute ago, NorCalDad said:

BD performs at a level no corps can really match. But I think of Drum Coros as an art. Because something is perfect doesn't make it art for me. I really don't want hear Moon River or maybe Simple Gifts being played by yet another corps. Congratulations to the Blue Devils on preforming what will be a technically perfect show come finals with performers that other corps can only dream of. I, however, will be following shows that maybe will take me the whole season to fully understand.

If your ultimate goal when you watch a show is to understand it, then I’m afraid you’re going to have an unsavory time watching modern drum corps 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vdad76 said:

I agree, but I will say that BD has the understanding of what to add/subtract during the season and especially heading into and in finals week.  The staff and kids have been able to find the extra notch to to turn up.  I am not a huge BD fan, I am a very big Midwest and East Coast Corps fan because that is where I grew up (Michigan) went to clinics to see their staffs, etc, and taught with people who were groomed in those cultures.  I love Madison, Bloo, Cavies, Crown, Blue Stars and Crossmen, but the factory that BD has put together (who else has three competing levels of corps), alumni that closely connect with the corp after aging out and a system that seems to bring them to brink of winning year after year.  They have become the “New England Patriots” of Drum Corps.  Putting a show on tonight like the one they performed, after two years of absence, could only be done by an organization like this.  I look forward to see the Detroit show on Tuesday, and you may be very right by the end of the year that several corps will be right with them, but for now, despite the score tonight (adjudication is cruel mistress sometimes), this is a hot show.

Thanks for all the info in the background. Because of that I will go full transparency with you and that is I was a diehard blue devil  fan for a long time and I have not been a Consistent blur devil  fan for a long time.  I think for the amount of success they have had in recent years they should definitely be taking more risks with their show choices and design.  

these opinions don’t change the fact that is only night two of a long season and already you had a surprise by the fact the scores landed where they did tonight (spread wise)

If BD is undefeated after the second major regional with all the cores and attendance one can say they will probably ‘only probably’  win

• Confused 3

I’ve never, ever been a BD homer- having marched in BD’s organization even- but after tonight- it’s clear as daylight who is more entertaining between SCV and BD.  BD is leaps and bounds more fun to watch.  I usually cheer for other Coprs to beat BD just for no other reason because I feel it’s better for DCI- and I know that’s irrational.  Sorry been drinking…

SCV change your Uni’s please 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

I’ll be rooting for either the Giants or Eagles of the drum corps world(not a perfect comparison, but ya know) to take them down as I usually do, but yeah, for everyone it’d be good to wait a sec ‘till everyone’s been on the field👌

A lot of people don’t like the Patriots, including me.  But consistent teaching over time  gives an edge to someone.

Just now, KPinCAL said:

I’ve never, ever been a BD homer- having marched in BD’s organization even- but after tonight- it’s clear as daylight who is more entertaining between SCV and BD.  BD is leaps and bounds more fun to watch.  I usually cheer for other Coprs to beat BD just for no other reason because I feel it’s better for DCI- and I know that’s irrational.  Sorry been drinking…

SCV change your Uni’s please 

As a general BD hater besides a few select years (should've won in 08) I agree. I'm not saying I'm a big fan of BDs show this year, but it's a lot better than everything else I watched tonight.

• Like 1

BD is so essential to DCI because they raise the bar for everyone else 

• Like 4

It’s June. The right corps won tonight. Hard to win with no closer

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

It’s June. The right corps won tonight. Hard to win with no closer

Jeff you’re a smart dude- you know BD wins if SCV has a full show.   History alone shows it

Edited by KPinCAL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1