Drum Corps at the Rose Bowl (June 25, 2022)

3 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

With bluecoats Crown Boston cavaliers waiting  in the wings  you’re calling it already? 
The season just started my friend 😊

Definitely a mistake to sleep on Crown, at the very least. It's incredibly joyous and pretty different. Exciting season!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

The Academy has my vote  most enjoyable Tonight

Yes, that is the way I saw and Felt it also! They Looked (in Their Royal Purple Brilliantly detailed Uniforms the very definition of 'Classy." Fruhauf Uniforms continues to outfit THE ACADEMY in a very Unique Classic Style that is all their own. Their music book is Familiar, Fun, hummable destined to become a Fan, Friendly Favorite.  The Academy Tubas intro to the "Oompa-Loompas" Song WILL become a "Corps Moment" that will evoke a broad smile of familiarity from the "Child" within us all at every show. For me, this 71 Year Old "DrumCorpsRelic",  following the development of "A World Of My Creation" throughout every Corps stop thru FloMarching streaming, is going to be like another visit, to my local penny candy store as a kid. ENJOY! I Know I Will!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, dcsnare93 said:

The all white looks sharp in person, but feeling they may need to rethink the color of the guard costumes. Still lose them at times.

yes,  they need to add some lighter color to the guard costumes.  They tend to fade into the background, compared with the bright white of the rest of the corps.   Scott got it right with the splashes of light blue in the BD  guard costumes.

• Like 2

Academy shocked me the  most, with their sound. 
SCV had some neat visual moments, and a wicked killer percussion (as to be expected) but the brass writing didn't hook me.  Props = eh. I don't feel qualified to comment on guard.

BD was quite killer. I don't usually like their choreo (no exceptions here) but they had some cool drill moves. I thought their musical selections were totally on point. That brass sound was MASSIVE. Dunno how much of it was bolstered by synth but it was well mixed so I didn't care. I'm convinced most fans of "Cowboy Bebop" only ever watched it while they were falling asleep as teenagers, but their rendition of the theme felt inspired, a perfect choice for the corps. And their unis were pretty spiffy too. 

Dunno why SCV thinks they can just dress the corps in all white with absolutely zero distinct features that can be seen from a distance. Big "mormon underwear" vibes (not to be crass).

I have many more thoughts but I will save them for later in the season. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

On the positive side and again my amateur opinion, Mandarins seem much stronger visually than I remember. I found my eyes going everywhere watching them perform tonight. To repeat myself, that percussion battery is the most improved part of that corps. I hope they can add another snare and tenor. 

In the lot, the snares seemed pretty dirty.  But only saw a few minutes of them of them. Will try to catch more of them in the Sunday lot.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Absolutely love Boston’s guard but one place BD has the edge is in the dance writing… Moon River stuff is just gorgeous. Love that part when the hornline gets quiet and you can hear the snap of them all catching the poles in unison. Very effective! 

All of my other qualms about BD are moot because they change so much by finals. Gut’s telling me this is going to be quite a show. 

100% on the dancing 

17 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I fell asleep at 10pm.  I’ll watch the replay today.  This time difference is killing me.  I thought it was bad in Chicago…

Took me two years of retirement to get out of the wake up at 6am routine. 10pm east coast bed time was very much hardwired into me

Ok, just watched BD.  If they play 6.5 minutes ensemble out of 13 minutes I would be shocked.  It's like a throwback show in the 70's with props and amps (actually a LOT more park and blow).  Enjoyable show.  So MUCH park and blow.  Sorry guys if this wins it won't be on demand.  Hard to tell if the horn line is loud or it's just that much amping.  Guard and drumline are working it.  Hornline meh at best visually.  Seriously, if they get demand and composition credit over other corps for this, something is wrong IMHO.  I liked it, I just don't see it winning unless a lot more (more difficult) judgeable content is added. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 4