Drum Corps at the Rose Bowl (June 25, 2022)

I’d say there’s still a lot more question marks for SCV than BD at this point. Regardless of score, I think it’s safe to say that Santa Clara Vanguard has a lot more to tweak and add to than BD. Devils have a complete package to work with. And it’s phenomenal.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

With bluecoats Crown Boston cavaliers waiting  in the wings  you’re calling it already? 
The season just started my friend 😊

Yes.  No one's going to touch them. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Boy do the Blue Devils command the field. While I love this SCV show (and I get that some will not this year) the big difference between BD and SCV is how fresh the Blue Devils look and sound, even when they do things similar to previous years. Everyone does, of course. Nobody completely reinvents the wheel every year. But the Blue Devils have this way of presenting their show that is just incredible. 

The body movement in this show is outstanding and fresh. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the uniforms. This alone may put BD over SCV. I don't hate the all-white look on the corps proper with SCV, but they may have to make some adjustments. BD just looks fresh, bright, and professional. The brass book is wonderful and what a warn baritone sound they are achieving this year. SCV brass is really very good too but aside from some nice licks and I do like the music, the BD brass has to produce more in all ranges and at all volumes, not just safe MF volumes. BD Percussion is written so well this year, and I LOVE the pit writing and performing. 

The scary thing is that this show is likely only 50 to 60% of what they still have to add. When this thing cleans...YIKES! Definitely a contender no doubt. If I went off of performance levels in 2019 I'd say only Bluecoats can maybe challenge this. But that is not how it works of course. None of us know how the season will progress, but I think we can say for certain that when this Blue Devils show cleans we are in for a treat and they will DEFINITELY contend. 

I agree.....but SCV percussion is better and BDs body movement always feels the same to me. 

I am a known BD hater, but BD is heads and shoulders above the rest so far. Lets see how the East Coast comes out. 

Absolutely love Boston’s guard but one place BD has the edge is in the dance writing… Moon River stuff is just gorgeous. Love that part when the hornline gets quiet and you can hear the snap of them all catching the poles in unison. Very effective! 

All of my other qualms about BD are moot because they change so much by finals. Gut’s telling me this is going to be quite a show. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Yes.  No one's going to touch them. 

Even though they’re doing quite well right now, many people would be right to say at least wait ‘till you see them on the field one time first😂. I most definitely am not counting bloo or Crown out

• Like 1

I can’t wait to see BD live!