A Commentary on Narration

11 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

True, but they are individual, short musical thoughts, all punctuated by narration.  Would be nice to hear musical transitions from that hornline instead.

No argument from me there 

11 hours ago, 1956OPR said:

The Blue coat's design team's use of narration is an insult to Drum & Bugle Corps.  

11 hours ago, 1956OPR said:

What do you want?

What I want is for @Michael Boo to still be around to reply that Bluecoats is one word.

• Sad 4

The existence of Narration is fine. That doesn’t mean that it can’t have pitfalls. I actually prefer Bluecoats use of narration vs Cadets because Cadets are too heady and poetic vs Bluecoats more conversational tone and common word choice. I literally lose track of what Cadets are saying in their longer monologues. But Bluecoats is telling a more clear story (to me) not trying to conveying “abstract emotions” and when what the narrator is saying is portrayed visually that’s a good use of narration.

• Like 1

Narration is not something we the fan can control. The activity is an art form and show designers may decide to use it. In some cases they may use a little or a lot. In some cases it may help tell the story or just set the mood. The Blue Devils use a little at the onset of the show to set the mood. Carolina uses some to bring in crowd support. Bluecoats are telling the story of a dream in which the music helps to set the mood for and visually show those ideas. The Cadets is more Beatnik Poetry that sets both place and mood. Beginning in Times Square and moving across the country while adhering to the emotion of the poet to move from the East of his youth to the West of his future. 

I like it all to some extent. But I realize this is up to the individual. The biggest mistake we can make is to assume everyone thinks like YOU do. An even bigger mistake is to demand rules for narration based on YOUR thoughts because somehow you KNOW that those thoughts are the thoughts of everyone else and that DCI is better with people who only think like YOU. I am not pointing fingers at anyone but merely suggesting we try to not tell every corps and design team what they can or cannot do. Hey, if the show fails due to the narration, of if it does not score well, then that is the design team's issue; but I don't think we make a lot of general rules that force a design team's hand. 

I mean, DCI could just ban it, but I think that can of worms has been opened along with electronics and more. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cappybara said:

To me the Bluecoats narration is worse than Cadets. The Bluecoats narration runs longer and the source music itself isn’t particularly melodic. The Cadets are still completing full musical thoughts 

^This^

If it's done in right, it works really well. For you old schoolers, this is not your 80s drum and bugle corps anymore. It's art and theater on a football field. It has allowed corps to be more creative and artistic in ways they could not before, and I'm not so sure this activity would've survived if it didn't allow this to happen. So it's time to get out of your own way and just appreciate and enjoy it. Or... 🤷🏻‍♂️

15 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

I'm not so sure this activity would've survived if it didn't allow this to happen.

Citation needed.

• Haha 1