San Antonio Schedule Released

1. I do believe performance order matters, a few tenths here and there which adds up. This will negatively impact Crown and Boston at Broken Arrow. 
2. I’m a hypocrite because I do think cavies should get a chance to show if they are still in that zone or not. They didn’t chose not to compete, they literally couldn’t compete. It does impact other corps and I get it. Just how I feel about it. If they never started the season they would go last. But they were doing ok before they stopped. 
Tricky stuff!! But remember this is just corps performance order and not curing cancer or anything truly important! 

Edited by Den8uml
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Liahona said:

So I just read this...on press article about SA Show

" Corps not competing in any of those events were placed into the drawing order based on projected score to date."

Would this be a true statement? If so, was this in place before the season was underway or recently decided.  I don't recall seeing that part before.

This had to have been decided on within the past week. In the past, when DCI would use the old “last score” rule, it was usually in the event of performances getting rained out (which happened with the Denver show a few years back) or a corps’ one-time withdrawal from a show. The Cavaliers’ COVID woes that have lasted over a week are obviously much more serious.

The only other World Class corps going to SA that didn’t compete yesterday was Pacific Crest, but they were well behind their west coast peers anyway, so it makes no difference.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

7 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

1. I do believe performance order matters, a few tenths here and there which adds up. This will negatively impact Crown and Boston at Broken Arrow. 
2. I’m a hypocrite because I do think cavies should get a chance to show if they are still in that zone or not. They didn’t chose not to compete, they literally couldn’t compete. It does impact other corps and I get it. Just how I feel about it. If they never started the season they would go last. But they were doing ok before they stopped. 
Tricky stuff!! But remember this is just corps performance order and not curing cancer or anything truly important! 

And there it is 🙂 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Liahona said:

So I just read this...on press article about SA Show

" Corps not competing in any of those events were placed into the drawing order based on projected score to date."

Would this be a true statement? If so, was this in place before the season was underway or recently decided.  I don't recall seeing that part before.

That was definitely an improvised decision. Here’s the original article DCI posted at the end of May regarding performance order: https://www.dci.org/news/explainer-how-performance-order-is-set-for-2022-dci-tour

In the article it states: “Order for the DCI Southwestern Championship in San Antonio, Texas (July 23), will be based on reverse order of placement from July 16 events in Denver, Memphis and Whitewater and drawn at random in groups of threes. Corps not appearing in any of those events will be placed in the order based on their last score received.”

I’m not at all mad about Cavies being shown some mercy here, but I just wish it wasn’t being disguised as if no special accommodation was actually given. And I’m sure affected corps directors were part of the conversation about this and gave their blessings. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It's not like we don't have a ton of shows for the Cavies to show they belong in that band or Phantom et al to show they should be above them.  

If this were setting up the finals order, then it might be more something to talk about.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, brassboy said:

That was definitely an improvised decision. Here’s the original article DCI posted at the end of May regarding performance order: https://www.dci.org/news/explainer-how-performance-order-is-set-for-2022-dci-tour

In the article it states: “Order for the DCI Southwestern Championship in San Antonio, Texas (July 23), will be based on reverse order of placement from July 16 events in Denver, Memphis and Whitewater and drawn at random in groups of threes. Corps not appearing in any of those events will be placed in the order based on their last score received.”

I’m not at all mad about Cavies being shown some mercy here, but I just wish it wasn’t being disguised as if no special accommodation was actually given. And I’m sure affected corps directors were part of the conversation about this and gave their blessings. 

I don't think it is even special accommodation. DCI was actively involved in the decision to not have them compete as long as they had a certain percentage of positive cases, and wanted to ensure they didn't spread anything to anyone else. It would seem reasonable that it had already been agreed the absences wouldn't tank their regional performance order to ensure they really got healthy before restarting. The right thing to do and a win for all concerned. 

This is probably a trial run for the process, in case it is needed again this season. Hopefully it won't, but if they all do that customary free day on the River Walk in San Antonio the day after....😬😬😬

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

u1L2maO.jpeg

😆

Classic show. And look at them now 😈

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

You can count on that. Performance order does not matter right now when judges have so much room to work with. Once Finals rolls around, judges have that peak of 20 points to worry about, and that's when performance order can make a difference due to the need for numbers management. 

The numbers change all the way until the last corps performs. Scores are not finalized until the judges see all the corps. The new electronic scoring system allows them to finalize numbers for all corps at the same time 

I'm pretty confident that this decision to accommodate the Cavaliers based upon circumstances beyond their control that were of health and safety concern nature ( their decision to pull out of scored competitions ) was discussed with the other Corps to see if they were ok with this performance order accommodation for the Cavaliers... and likely the other corps were onboard with it .  One or two people at DCI Hq, likely did not unilaterally decide to bend the rules to effectuate this change. Its far more likely this was discussed among the Corps, and most, if not all, agreed to it. If thats the case, then I dont see why its of much concern to us that a " mercy rule " accommodation was made to a Corps, given the highly unfortunate and regrettable nature of the illness that beset their Corps.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 2