Tuesday, July 19th “DCI Broken Arrow” …. Tiger Stadium Broken Arrow High School … Broken Arrow, OKLAHOMA

2 minutes ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

I love that their guard has most membership back. And they’ve been pretty solid too! It’s so encouraging to see them. I think this show is starting to grow on me overall. It to me is no more formulaic than a lot of BD’s shows yet the phrase they get is “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” so if doing these style of shows keeps them in the top 4 range, does it seem like such a bad thing?

I've never found a formula to be a bad thing. Crown had a formula with their old design team. BD has a formula. Bloo now has a formula. If it works and looks and sounds good, then why not? 

• Like 4

Another BIG Wow for me! Santa Clara really brought it tonight. I still want the guard to pop more with color, and I am hoping they have a color change or two coming for the base white uniforms. But this corps can march, play and drum extremely well. That is one tough brass book and it goes without saying how good that percussion section is. This is still a very dangerous show if they add the right layers and clean. What an excellent performance ensemble for sure and I am loving the music more and more each time I see them. Way to Vanguard!!!!

• Like 2

Not SCV’s best run for me. But they have a great show IMO. I do think BAC drums ate SCV’s lunch tonight — but tonight is just one night. 

2 minutes ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

SCV

Love that opening set and really unique props! Great soundscape! Adore the musicality of that front ensemble! Man, that dissonance comes out of nowhere after all those flowy white forms!

Brass sounds great. Handling those technical lines well across all sections. Love the aggressiveness in their sound. Yeah baritone!! Man, all of the corps this year can really articulate well! 

This guard is underrated. They won’t win this year, but they’re really talented and not talked about enough. I love the way SCV’s hot line moves, 2nd only to BD. There hasn’t been a ton of choreo for them, but they perform it well and it’s written even better. Cool visual highlight of the soloist on those props!

I like the 2nd half of the ballad and how it slowly builds, especially visually. That long sustained dissonance is great! As we move to the next movement, I really like the percussion writing, which I rarely comment on (not my forte). I think of the percussion features I’ve seen tonight, this one has my favorite writing and musical support.

Anxiously awaiting that Vanguard yell! Can’t wait for it. Always love the SCV mellos! Closing drill is ferocious and enjoyable! Can’t wait to see the final ending.

I haven’t heard that in years. 

And now for the visually best opening 30 seconds of this year's shows.  Choreographed random movement, lines that shift and segment, a moment where the corps disappears in silhouette, a snow storm of capes that almost instantly disappear.  Energy, energy, energy.  For a visually oriented guy like me, pure eye candy!  🤩😍

• Like 1

Just now, kinetic inferno11 said:

I love that their guard has most membership back. And they’ve been pretty solid too! It’s so encouraging to see them. I think this show is starting to grow on me overall. It to me is no more formulaic than a lot of BD’s shows yet the phrase they get is “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” so if doing these style of shows keeps them in the top 4 range, does it seem like such a bad thing?

Even then I feel like they’re going to pivot quite significantly next year, I think they know that this kind of aesthetic and feel isn’t one that is going to be best serving for them to win if they have that be a goal of theirs, of course it’s not the only goal, but keeping their same formula doesn’t sound like what a Vanguard would do, as the cliche goes, it’ll cause them to stagnate. Maybe through the music programming itself, maybe they backtrack into previous eras, or double down on the modern feel and experiment with different genres. We’ll just have to see. 

7 minutes ago, lawdn said:

Heard SCV play their show standstill at BBQ before DCI West and was mesmerized. I could listen to this show all day. Visual program has never clicked for me - and tonight my theory is the visual is great, but it is very generic within the musical context. The musical and visual just don’t play well together and don’t highlight or reinforce each other. A little sad - first corps I fell in love with in 1986. 

+1 Insightful ! 

SCV was very good tonight. If that is the 5th place show in Indianapolis, and it might be, then we are in for one hell of a finals. Not a clunker in the bunch. You 

• Like 6