Thursday, July 21 “DCI Denton” …. Apogee Stadium at the University of North Texas Denton, TEXAS … Thursday, July 21… 7:50 PM CT

1 hour ago, SJugster said:

can anybody explain to me judging and scores?

i am biased (I admit) however I don't see how the Mandarins outscored Phantom last night. And I really don't understand how they beat them in brass.

Mandarins does quite a bit of movement that would generate the "ohhs" and "ahs" from the crowd (which some hit and some didn't) with props however their brass doesn't actually play more than 60-70% of the show. Phantom's brass is running all over the field and is actually playing a tougher book for about 90% of the show. I just don't get how Mandarins are scoring higher in content and achievement with seemly easier book and less impactful moments (brass wise).

Maybe i'm old school however I just don't understand scoring

Both corps placing over the other by season’s end wouldn’t surprise me, but I undoubtedly have a preference over which corps I’d want to be over the other🤐😂

As diplomatic as I can put it🙃

Edited by Vidal28Rdg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SJugster said:

can anybody explain to me judging and scores?

i am biased (I admit) however I don't see how the Mandarins outscored Phantom last night. And I really don't understand how they beat them in brass.

Mandarins does quite a bit of movement that would generate the "ohhs" and "ahs" from the crowd (which some hit and some didn't) with props however their brass doesn't actually play more than 60-70% of the show. Phantom's brass is running all over the field and is actually playing a tougher book for about 90% of the show. I just don't get how Mandarins are scoring higher in content and achievement with seemly easier book and less impactful moments (brass wise).

Maybe i'm old school however I just don't understand scoring

Then you will never will understand it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phantom56 said:

Crown is the only show at finals that will elicit a screaming standing O--like SCV-2018. But they will still lose to BD. 

Maybe Crown has more people in the stands because it’s close to SC than BD which is on the west coast. Ya think!!!!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Maybe Crown has more people in the stands because it’s close to SC than BD which is on the west coast. Ya think!!!!

I think Metamorph maybe had the crowd but seriously they have not been the screaming crowd favorites for at least two decades. These are not just Crown fans traveling .. they are fans of all corps that Crown is their top tier favorite. I hear on these forums all the BD fans but in person it typically is a very muted response.  If your only mission is to win .. you gotta take the fan heat. While I’m not a huge Bloo fan .. I think they do both best. Appealing shows that pull down the numbers. (Exception this year .. fans no like long narration) 

Edited by BWise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

You don’t think judges are mainly evaluating how various pieces of a show fit in with each other and with the overall concept of the show when scoring GE? 

Yes, it takes “marketing” to properly sell the product to the judges, but you can’t sell something that isn’t there 

I mean, I agree with you, but one person's mess is another person masterpiece. Same is true in any art form.

10 minutes ago, BWise said:

I think Metamorph maybe had the crowd but seriously they have not been the screaming crowd favorites for at least two decades. These are not just Crown fans traveling .. they are fans of all corps that Crown is their top tier favorite. I hear on these forums all the BD fans but in person it typically is a very muted response.  If your only mission is to win .. you gotta take the fan heat. While I’m not a huge Bloo fan .. I think they do both best. Appealing shows that pull down the numbers. (Exception this year .. fans no like long narration) 

BD is ONE of the fan favorites. They will just never be THE fan favorite. They have won too much for that. 

• Like 2