What is the most pressing issue in DCI for 2023

What is the most pressing issue in DCI for 2023  

101 members have voted

1. 1. With the 2022 season nearing completion, what is the most pressing issue DCI should be concerned with in the off season? There are probably multiple right answers, which one do you feel is the highest priority? Choose one.

• Leadership - time for a change at the top and possible org restructure
    • Competition - re-examine the competition model to help less funded corps be more competitive and promote more fan friendly shows
    • Safety and inclusion - working to ensure performer safety, diversity and inclusion is top priority
    • New touring model - development of a new touring model to help ease costs and promote more regional opportunities
    • Financial stability - cost cutting measures to ensure financial stability and a level playing field competitively

8 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

This is not just for 2023 but how about maybe every 5 years having finals week somewhere else other than Indy. It was that way for the majority of DCI existence. No reason why Indy is set in stone.

contract through 2028 for indy.

3 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Honestly, Texas Marching band is driving DCI designs currently. Why not have it in a Texas location again?

The financial incentives given by Indy are too great to mess with though.

Cause football gets into swing then. And that’s everything in Texas 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Which keeps the tour in a rut

I’m more likely to go to Allentown when it is than a month earlier 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MikeN said:

Fair, but I don't know if I would call it a stupid deal.  There were not a lot of bidders for DCI's events, audiences weren't travelling (remember 12k in Orlando?) and Indy offered a very good, if not great, deal to DCI in return for the long-term contract.  Financially, DCI the org is in a much better and stable place than they ever have been, and their tour deals have really helped that along.

All of that said, I'd 100% open it up at the end of this contract - would love to see what some of the other big NFL stadiums might offer.

Mike

Agreed.

Indy offered a MUCH better deal than some previous host cities......

Anyone remember Jackson 1993? They bid and paid DCI to bring finals there. Anyone want to go back there?

Didn't think so.

• Thanks 1

1) endowments to help lift up lower and middle performing corps to promote more competition

2)more dynamic scoring in the Top 10 so there’s more unpredictability in placements to promote more fan excitement 

3) world championships go back to different cities, and not just Indy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

That' said, I'd be a beneficiary of a finals in Texas so I wouldn't be upset.

That's the real reason.

Finals has happened in Texas before but it was prior to the creation of DCI.  One of the worst experiences of my life. I think it was 325 on the field - or at least felt like it in wool/cotton long-sleeve cadets, black pants, and dress oxfords. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Finals has happened in Texas before but it was prior to the creation of DCI.  One of the worst experiences of my life. I think it was 325 on the field - or at least felt like it in wool/cotton long-sleeve cadets, black pants, and dress oxfords. 

I believe it! I'm definitely in the move tour out of Texas camp for this reason. I wore a think, layered polyester, long-sleeve unitard through Arizona and Texas. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. It's not a necessary, essential part of tour to torture people in the heat!

I just meant that if tours begin to emphasize the Texas leg more, I'm nearby so I'd benefit from it personally.

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

This is a great idea, but not many indoor arenas. Sadly Nashville would be out, which sucks.

Why does it have to be indoors?

• Thanks 1

It's interesting the directions that we seem to be taking in this thread. 

Some said it is hard "not" to answer "safety and inclusion" - there is a reason for that. I am a long-time fan of the activity, but I don't see how we can make much headway without addressing issues of safety and inclusion first and foremost.  The difficulty is that it is complex to discuss how to address these issues.  

It is possible that we could address the other four - leadership, competition models, touring models, and financial stability - ostensibly without addressing safety and inclusion, but to what purpose. If safety and inclusion are not foremost in our priorities to address, then we do not have an activity worth supporting.  

If we do become focused on improving safety and inclusion, it seems that we also have to look at leadership, financial stability, touring models, and even competition models with new eyes, which might help overall.  JMHO. 

• Like 2