What is the most pressing issue in DCI for 2023

What is the most pressing issue in DCI for 2023  

101 members have voted

1. 1. With the 2022 season nearing completion, what is the most pressing issue DCI should be concerned with in the off season? There are probably multiple right answers, which one do you feel is the highest priority? Choose one.

• Leadership - time for a change at the top and possible org restructure
    • Competition - re-examine the competition model to help less funded corps be more competitive and promote more fan friendly shows
    • Safety and inclusion - working to ensure performer safety, diversity and inclusion is top priority
    • New touring model - development of a new touring model to help ease costs and promote more regional opportunities
    • Financial stability - cost cutting measures to ensure financial stability and a level playing field competitively

40 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

This expire in 2028. That gives us time to come up with a better plan.  DCI is the highest level of the marching arts.  You don’t see the NFL, World Cup Soccer, Olympics (all competitions at the highest level) get into a stupid, long-term deal to hold their championships at the same location for 20 years in a row. 

When DCI can guarantee 70-100K attendees at hundreds/thousands of $$$ per ticket for Finals, get back to me on this. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

This is not just for 2023 but how about maybe every 5 years having finals week somewhere else other than Indy. It was that way for the majority of DCI existence. No reason why Indy is set in stone.

you have to get places to give DCI the deal Indy does financially. i don't see that happening

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

People on the west coast have more money on avg than Midwest east coast. I'd say Indy is a nice hodge podge of locations but if it goes west it would mainly be west coast. Also, the cost for the majority of the groups to travel out west and then back east? Sheesh 

also...the corps have stressed the need for a consistent flow of schedule, which Indy provides.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

I never understood Vanguard’s insistence on having Baritones out there when I’m sure with that low brass talent they have, a very impactful trombone section could be carved out of that as well.

Trombones over baritones....!!!!????......in Drum Corps!?

Someone call me an ambulance. ⚰️

• Haha 1

Staging a weekly weekend regional, beginning in Dallas, (2nd Saturday in July), in domed stadiums, would negate the weather issues, and give fans in most areas of the country the opportunity to see all World class corps.  New and older domed stadiums include Dallas, Minneapolis, New Orleans, St. Louis, L.A., Las Vegas, Detroit, San Antonio, Phoenix and Syracuse.  Most of my friends will no longer travel to expensive locations for possible rained-out shows. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Phantom56 said:

Staging a weekly weekend regional, beginning in Dallas, (2nd Saturday in July), in domed stadiums, would negate the weather issues, and give fans in most areas of the country the opportunity to see all World class corps.  New and older domed stadiums include Dallas, Minneapolis, New Orleans, St. Louis, L.A., Las Vegas, Detroit, San Antonio, Phoenix and Syracuse.  Most of my friends will no longer travel to expensive locations for possible rained-out shows. 

That's a fan experience lens though.  Having the shows in a hot place means corps need to find rehearsal and housing space in hot places too.  So taking a marcher experience lens to the tour takes priority for me.   If we can figure out how to get the marcher experience safer in extreme weather,  then let's go for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Phantom56 said:

Syracuse is a sound and logistical nightmare

• Like 1

Safety and Inclusion first. Then any of the other concerns are certainly good.

Touring model would be a good one to look at. I would like to see a major regional in the Midwest (Madison). 

I think they should look at the judging sheets, overall competition model, and maybe it's time for another division. Maybe have World Class, Open Class, and Junior Class (or something similar to the A-60 model from years ago). And what are the conditions for World Class these days? Plenty to debate there. 

• Like 2