Friday, July 29th “The Masters of Summer Music Games” … Johnny “Red” Floyd Stadium Middle Tennessee State University Murfreesboro, TENNESSEE

3 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

2. Brass? Did Crown have a bad night? They certainly have the most talented hornline in DCI this year. Their show design does not highlight them nearly enough- but I would expect them to max out that achievement score.

Honestly, I thought missing horn members hurt Crown last night.  I counted at least 5.  There may have been more.  

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, craiga said:

I agree, Barneveld.  This Boston supporter is not whining either.   I, too, fell asleep last night.  These central time zone shows complete with rain delays are brutal on us East Coasters.

I would have slept through the night but I got a text from a BAC horn player around 1:45 my time very excited about the job they did.  He said the staff is keeping them focused like a laser beam on the performance levels and they can't wait for tonight.

He did tell me that as of right now, nobody in Boston is sick.  It would seem as though the corps being sealed away in a giant mayonnaise jar under Funk and Wagnell's porch is working...for now.

(And I just lost everyone under the age of 50.....)

Anyway,  CRUSADE ON!

I finaly got to see BAC live last night.  And all I'm going to say about that as a proud alum WOW WOW WOW.  It is a visual and aural treat as the two elements are integrated so perfect together.  

I feel they were fairly treated. I am in full agreement with the placement by the judges. 

The top four are all amazing. That said, I feel Boston has the better vehicle to propel them to a crescendo at finals. They have already exceeded my expectations times ten billion.  I am not setting any limits on them as the sky is the limit. 

I am happy to see their brass is finaly starting to get its due. I feel that line has been an underrated strength this season. 

I can only imagine what a ride this has been for the members and staff this season.

Press towards that prize Boston! 

You got this! 

• Like 6

Just some thoughts from last night's show in Murfreesboro ... which is where I grew up.  

A large DCI show has been at MTSU ( few years at Vandy) since 1999.  This was the most poorly run show I've ever attended. 

Up to this year, each show was always ran smoothly.  Always a great experience each season.  

Based on the fans there, the show was sold out.  

The decision to only have one entrance into the stadium was poorly executed.  There was no communication.  The line snaked through the parking lot at least a mile long. 

A friend who was able to get into the stadium earlier said they had only one person scanning tickets when he went through the gate.  

Oh and in the line, there was a group that decided they would break which caused many of us to almost loose our cool.  

Thankfully the show was delayed.

As for the Corps performances last night! 

Love each and every Corps.

Entertained!  Surprised!  Satisficed!     

So happy to see the Corps on the field during a live performance!  

DCI has been part of my summers since 1977.  I'm grateful to the dedication of the marching members and the staffs to pulling together a great season for us fans!  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Big Bird said:

Also a very respected percussion judge in the activity. Frequently judges finals week 

and why the field judges stay on the sidelines

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Just waking up to this and dissecting.  I didn't read all 98 pages of this thread and I went to bed early because I live in EST and worked 12 days straight so I missed all the top groups. Anyway I apologize if some of these questions have already been asked or observations made.

1st off- very proud of the Bluecoats for updating their show and pulling into 3rd place for the time being. I do think this show is worthy of a medal and it would be great for them to get one for their 50th.

2nd- BAC. Still pushing and doing fantastic! Great job!

Some scoring observations/questions

1. Either percussion has been all over the place or thr Bluecoats had an overhaul this week. What is consistent is Crown scoring at the bottom of the top 5 consistently (including SCV). Crown battery did definitely sell me in San Antonio with the closer. That was intense! I think the weak link is more likely the front ensemble vs the battery.

2. Brass? Did Crown have a bad night? They certainly have the most talented hornline in DCI this year. Their show design does not highlight them nearly enough- but I would expect them to max out that achievement score.

These top corps are separated by 2 pts and percussions and brass have been separated by 0.5 for many shows. Not sure why anyone should be surprised when placements swing a bit from show to show. People expecting Crown to always win brass or Boston/SCV to always win percussion are basically saying they want judges to slot. These shifts are exactly what we should want to see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

Boston second in brass but fourth in brass analysis. Those of you who understand sheets: explain.

its not brass analysis, its music analysis. which means percussion is factored in too

45 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Ehh.  They all have 'fingerprints' in their designs that reflect the gradually changing/overlapping design teams.

It's not a liability... it's an identity.

agree. all designers have their "thing" that is identifiable.

59 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Poppycock & crew would be the most fun group to watch finals with in one of the VIP suites.

Just sayin'

For sure - but oh the pressure to keep up with their sparkling banter. Certainly no wallflowers allowed in that posse!

38 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Just waking up to this and dissecting.  I didn't read all 98 pages of this thread and I went to bed early because I live in EST and worked 12 days straight so I missed all the top groups. Anyway I apologize if some of these questions have already been asked or observations made.

1st off- very proud of the Bluecoats for updating their show and pulling into 3rd place for the time being. I do think this show is worthy of a medal and it would be great for them to get one for their 50th.

2nd- BAC. Still pushing and doing fantastic! Great job!

Some scoring observations/questions

1. Either percussion has been all over the place or thr Bluecoats had an overhaul this week. What is consistent is Crown scoring at the bottom of the top 5 consistently (including SCV). Crown battery did definitely sell me in San Antonio with the closer. That was intense! I think the weak link is more likely the front ensemble vs the battery.

Doubtless someone has already mentioned this, but Bloo’s center snare was out for some time but performed last night. That must make some difference.

• Like 1