Marching experience of DCP members

5 years marching drum corps, late 60s early 70s, pre DCI.

• Like 5

4 years high school.

4 years college.

8 years total marching experience.

Basically just a fan. No corps experience.  I spent 2 years in a local parade marching band.

I always knew about the Cavaliers (but never seriously looked into them because I am not properly equipped) and always knew the Cadets as the top of the crop musically (this was the early 00s) but far out of my reach. A kid at my school marched lake Erie Regiment one summer so had some exposure to that. I marched in college with a Cadets Alum but became really good friends with a Bluecoats Alum and went to my first live show in 05. It was Pittsburgh and the Bluecoats weren't there...I fell in love with BK (really my wheelhouse at the time talent wise and music that I loved) but saw they were from Denver and shrugged it off. Had to pay off college loans anyway. After the 06 season we marched with a Cavalier that marched the machine show so we watched it a lot. Great show. Made me realize that dci would not have been out of my reach but I was already almost too old and needed to get ready for grad school.

Years later I met my husband- he marched with the Warren Junior military band and the Bluecoats. He took me to 2012 DCI finals for my birthday and I have been obsessed ever since.

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 4

Bluecoats 1982-1988

Royal Lancers Senior 1991

Bushwackers Senior 1995

Chesapeake Junior 1996 staff (until we folded)

Kingston Grenadiers Sr. 1997 Staff (And Marched Bari - Didn't play though)

Bluecoats Alumni Corps -2022 - 6th Bass (of 8 )

• Like 5

3 years in Div I/WC drum corps (tuba)

1 year college marching band (sousaphone I ####### HATE SOUSAPHONES)

4 years in HS marching band (clarinet)

Visual instructor at two HS bands in the summer of 2009

Edited by FTNK
  • Like 2

All pre D.C.I.....3 1/2 years junior drum corps then 3 1/2  years senior drum corps...1964-1970..My junior corps folded mid season so I moved on to senior corps to finish the season and my marching career..Peace

• Like 2

21 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

I'll just post what I got:

DCI/DCA -- none

HS -- 2 yrs. Only started a marching band when I was a Junior, though we always had a band in the stands. Snare drum in the stands, trombone marching.

College -- 5 yrs. Also did some arranging. 2 yrs trombone, 1 yr snare drum, 2 yrs bass drum

Military -- 8 yrs total as a Musician mostly doing HS recruiting, but still a fair amount of Ceremonial duty which involved marching (pass in review, parades, etc.). Trombone major, later switched to guitar major, trombone minor. Also played synth, drum set, and trumpet.

I'm seeing other folks adding what they played, so I updated my original post. 

19 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I bet there's a decent percentage of people here that don't know what "pass in review" is.  

Oh I do. My pass in review at boot camp was five hours long........in August, outdoors in Great Lakes Illinois, 96 degrees and humid like crazy. No lie. It was excruciating!!!!!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Oh I do. My pass in review at boot camp was five hours long........in August, outdoors in Great Lakes Illinois, 96 degrees and humid like crazy. No lie. It was excruciating!!!!!

👍

Thankfully my pass in review was indoors, because it was winter in Great Lakes and single digits. 

2 minutes ago, kkrepps said:

👍

Thankfully my pass in review was indoors, because it was winter in Great Lakes and single digits. 

I got a little bit of the famous Great Lake Winter. Right after boot camp I went across the street to NTC for GM "A" School. 

Our pass and review was super long because my graduating class Divisions 289-298 (I was in division 296), we were the first to ever go thru the Navy's new Battle Stations at boot camp. Our graduating class was known as the "Guinea Pigs" since the Navy was going to try out this new project on us lol. 

In fact when we did it, it was actually known as RFEP (Recruit Final Evaluation Phase). It didn't adopt the Battle Stations name till almost a year after I left boot camp I believe.

It took us four hours to get through the whole event. I heard it has evolved into 24-48 hour event today at boot camp.

So since it was new and groundbreaking, every Admiral and Master Chief in the Navy had to show up and give a speech LMAO. I swear 100 people must have given a speech lol. We almost died out there. I just remember the RDCs kept yelling at us to not lock our knees lol.