Marching experience of DCP members

4 years HS marching band -- squads of 4, facing direction of march, no backwards or sliding movements, music on lyres, etc.

3 yrs college marching band -- squads of 4, facing direction of march, no backwards or sliding movements, music on lyres, etc.

Then...

1 year DCI (84 BD...and a VERY steep learning curve)

1 year (6 months, actually) student corps in USAF tech school (Keesler AFB Blue Knights)

1 year DCUK (86 Dagenham Crusaders while overseas in the USAF)

6 years DCA (87 Empire Statesmen, 02-06 SoCal Dream)

Edited by 84BDsop
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

4 years HS marching band -- squads of 4, facing direction of march, no backwards or sliding movements, music on lyres, etc.

3 yrs college marching band -- squads of 4, facing direction of march, no backwards or sliding movements, music on lyres, etc.

Then...

1 year DCI (84 BD...and a VERY steep learning curve)

That’s cool. Is that style considered “Big 10 band?”

Edited by FTNK

7 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Update time:

255.5 years marching experience in Drum Corps

859.5 years total marching experience

This is getting close to what the numbers would be if Keith Richards was a marching music participant.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 years in high school.

4 years in college.

3 in drum corps

(Some teaching Texas band here and there as well)

• Like 1

Marched 3 seasons in drum corps.  9 years marching band  Have been a spectator or mm for 45 years 

• Like 1

4 years drum corps

3 years HS BOA level

3 years WGI Percussion Bass drum 

20 years visual caption head

10 years WGI (SW guard) instructor 

8 years Drill Designer 

Edited by Glenn426

I began marching at age 12 In JHS. My JHS director was VERY anti DC (he called them “dumb & bungle corps”.)

I began corps in ‘79’ on a piston/rotor and continued through my age out year while marching HS and college. I was fortunate to win an Ott Trophy while playing a G bugle with proper intonation while playing Bb instruments during the off season, which for some reason is considered impossible (“Impossible, you say??”) by modern standards. That is because we were stupid and did not know better. 

Fast forward to October 2021, and my son (who marched with the org 2016-2018, went to Blue Stars in 2019 and aged out in ‘21) and I marched together in the San Jose Parade of Champions wearing THE classic SCV uniform; he wore my age-out star. I have a pic of him standing in the Kingsmen Alumni Corps horn arc with his 2V G sop in our run up to Pasadena 2007; he was 6 years old. Got him started early. 

Edited by TRacer
  • Like 3