TROOP!

As you long-timers know, I have been a huge fan of the Troopers over the years. In my humble opinion they "lost their way" for a brief time by forsaking their identity to follow fads. However, they have rediscovered the secret sauce in 2022—Be. The. Troopers!

I must admit that I pee'd a little in my undergarments when they revealed their uniforms. But that is nothing compared to the goosebumps I experienced watching their show for the first time on that flomarching channel. I rewound the show and watched it at least three times. Amazing! Yeah...it's been a little sloppy, but their performance is my favorite of the year.

Their drum line is thrilling to watch and listen to. They are so tough and the way they drive through the second half of the show makes me want to throw back a couple shots of cheap Wyoming whiskey! The integration of the cello was not something I was expecting to like (you know how I feel about electronics, but I lost that battle a very long time ago), however it works so well with this show. 

I'm sad to say that I'm skeptical about them making finals. They seemed to lose their momentum when that Covid hit them pretty hard. But, honestly...I'm too old to give a darn. I'm mostly past caring about scores (except I do). I'm just so grateful that they think highly enough about me as a fan to put something on the field that captivates and entertains me. 

Having said that...there are times in drum corps history (ahem 2008) where a show is just so gosh-darned entertaining that it gets that little extra nudge from the fans that maybe...just maybe...influences the judges. 

Troooooop!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Truly one of my favorite shows of 2022 and I've been anything but a loyal Troopers fan for many, many years. Every now and then though, they do manage to grab me and hold me. This year's production is so dramatic and captivating, as I mentioned previously in other threads, it's like a Quentin Tarantino movie where the music becomes a character in the film. 

Edited by OldSnareDrummer
  • Like 2

I just want to share with you that my mother also loves the troopers.

Definitely her favorite this year (and most years)

• Like 2

The Troopers' show is great but so filthy dirty musically - and WAY too loud. The kids really gave it their best and sold their show to the big crowd in Annapolis. I loved the uniforms when I saw the release - however they don't pop and look really drab in person against the turf - "dusty" colors tend to do that. I was sad as I really wanted to love them and had hoped they be in finals this year

Edited by George Dixon

It's great to hear from you, again, Granny.  

30 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

The Troopers' show is great but so filthy dirty musically - and WAY too loud. The kids really gave it their best and sold their show to the big crowd in Annapolis. I loved the uniforms when I saw the release - however they don't pop and look really drab in person against the turf - "dusty" colors tend to do that. I was sad as I really wanted to love them and had hoped they be in finals this year

Never enough...  :spitting:

But I understand.  Hoping it maybe the Flo mix but will see them live next week.  And they should probably start 'pulling back the reins' on the horn line just a tad for finals week.  Go Troop!  

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

Having seen them at Annapolis from just above the GE Box, I wouldn't count the 11th Cavalry out just yet.  They've got a lot going for them. Beyond the heartstrings they pull with the look, "Johnny" quote, bugle calls and overall book, the tasteful integration of cello with percussion and brass is virtually seamless and creates not only a very complimentary and coordinated mood but also provides some sounds never before heard on the field by virtue of the creative orchestration.

They are still awaiting reinforcements as Troopers return from sick bay. And their performance levels are guaranteed to improve over the next week. That's actually the easiest part.

Add to this that there is historically far more volatility of placement in that 11 to 15 neighborhood than at the top of the hill. They have a real shot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1