Boston Crusaders 2023

2 hours ago, Barneveld said:

The sky cleared up nicely, the wind died down and the temperature was comfortable about 90 minutes before the show.

Stands were full. The merch stand was doing a brisk business.

Im not going to predict where they will place. There's just too many things outside of the corps control. I do know they'll be better and more enjoyable than last year.

So mysterious 😭 you’re killing me. 

Can you please rate it for us on a scale from 0 to 10 (0 being “threw 0 babies as I watched,” 10 being “threw 10+ babies as I watched”)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Barneveld said:

Stands were full. The merch stand was doing a brisk business.

Im not going to predict where they will place. There's just too many things outside of the corps control. I do know they'll be better and more enjoyable than last year.

I was at their Camp a couple of weeks ago for 2 days there and the Corps was working hard,  and appears very strong in all captions to me. How strong however is really up to the judges to determine ( as you said ). While I did not observe while there more than half the show, what I did assess then with what they had was a show that most fans will find very enjoyable and very accessible, imo.

Some 3rd party observers apparently assess this aspect similarly as well.

This was posted last night on facebook from an Alumni page from the Avant Garde Drum Corps ( From upstate NY ) :

" Great to see a bunch of the old gang up at Castleton tonight for the Boston Crusaders Community Night performance. Its really hard to read the visual program in that stadium, so I'll just say this... If you liked them last year, you won't be disappointed. Their music is totally accessible from start to finish, and they can play !.' Hope you get to see them live as I think you'll like their White Whale Production ".

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, craiga said:

This is my review of the Castleton Performance last night, as well as my final Castleton update:

At showtime, it was 65 degrees and sunny with a light breeze. The corps performed in their gray member shirts and the guard had ALL of their 2023 show silks on the field.

The 2023 BAC is comprised of 80 brass, 18 battery, 15 front ensemble, 3 dms, and 46 guard with 10 alternates. And before anyone asks, no I do not know how long they'll carry that many guard alternates, but I have the impression that number will decrease tomorrow since their spring training ends today and the corps leaves Vermont tomorrow. 

The show is complete Parts 1-5, all guard work is in, and the body/choreo for the hornline and drum line is nonstop.

The props are amazing and are used and moved throughout the production. There are still front set pieces to be introduced which will extend end zone to end zone, and the harpoons are still in production.

Every section of this drum corps is a level above Boston's 2022 product, including, amazingly, the guard. The show is a General Effect feast, taking the audience through a series of emotions, and the visual design features some very aggressive "run and gun" drill at times,  particularly during the opener and On the Waterfront.  The rifle feature in the opener is mind blowing, but the guard is omnipresent throughout, and drops last night were almost nonexistent. 

The hornline is very mature and the new horns have a very bright sound and the volume levels at times far exceed last year's line.  

The drum line showed off their new drums, which are sort of a white marine pearl.  The entire percussion section is a level up from last year, and the members who came over from Crown (there are 7 of them between battery and pit) tell me they love the "Boston Vibe".

So, what is my prediction? Can this 83 year old drum corps win their first DCI ring?

I have concluded that time is upon us.   

Thank you for the update! Looking forward to an amazing season!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• Thanks 1

Exciting review!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, craiga said:

This is my review of the Castleton Performance last night, as well as my final Castleton update:

At showtime, it was 65 degrees and sunny with a light breeze. The corps performed in their gray member shirts and the guard had ALL of their 2023 show silks on the field.

The 2023 BAC is comprised of 80 brass, 18 battery, 15 front ensemble, 3 dms, and 46 guard with 10 alternates. And before anyone asks, no I do not know how long they'll carry that many guard alternates, but I have the impression that number will decrease tomorrow since their spring training ends today and the corps leaves Vermont tomorrow. 

The show is complete Parts 1-5, all guard work is in, and the body/choreo for the hornline and drum line is nonstop.

The props are amazing and are used and moved throughout the production. There are still front set pieces to be introduced which will extend end zone to end zone, and the harpoons are still in production.

Every section of this drum corps is a level above Boston's 2022 product, including, amazingly, the guard. The show is a General Effect feast, taking the audience through a series of emotions, and the visual design features some very aggressive "run and gun" drill at times,  particularly during the opener and On the Waterfront.  The rifle feature in the opener is mind blowing, but the guard is omnipresent throughout, and drops last night were almost nonexistent. 

The hornline is very mature and the new horns have a very bright sound and the volume levels at times far exceed last year's line.  

The drum line showed off their new drums, which are sort of a white marine pearl.  The entire percussion section is a level up from last year, and the members who came over from Crown (there are 7 of them between battery and pit) tell me they love the "Boston Vibe".

So, what is my prediction? Can this 83 year old drum corps win their first DCI ring?

I have concluded that time is upon us.   

Yes! Thank you! Excited to try to catch some rehearsal from them when they stop in Erie on the 4th.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

So mysterious 😭 you’re killing me. 

Can you please rate it for us on a scale from 0 to 10 (0 being “threw 0 babies as I watched,” 10 being “threw 10+ babies as I watched”)

• Thanks 1

Saw some stuff from last night and tonight. They look and sound absolutely amazing. Some minor issues here and there but for where they are in the season its gonna be amazing.
For those who know me you should know how I feel about the competitive success of this show, but Im not gonna jinx it just yet

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

Saw some stuff from last night and tonight. They look and sound absolutely amazing. Some minor issues here and there but for where they are in the season its gonna be amazing.
For those who know me you should know how I feel about the competitive success of this show, but Im not gonna jinx it just yet

Please wait until August 13th. 😉🤣 

Thanks!

BAC Nation

• Haha 3