Legends and lore of drum corps

5 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

1984 Great Whitewater Wipeout.   Garfield Cadets start the Z Pull to end the show.  Sop near the 30 on side 2 trips and falls (blind backwards move), several member trip over him.

Almost all the judges MISS this because 1) they were looking at the center of the form and 2) the kids recover and get back into the form so fast that there was nothing to see by the time they DID look over...the one judge who DID see it was music analysis, and he couldn't make a judgment on the fall.

Garfield gets a perfect GE marching subcap score.

BD takes 3rd, Garfield 2nd, SCV wins.   A note that the Wipeout did NOT cost Garfield the win....SCV earned that victory legit.

I was there that night. Side 2 about 15 rows up. It was right in front of me. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, DAvery said:

I was there that night. Side 2 about 15 rows up. It was right in front of me. 

Here's audio of one of the judges (from the recaps, J. Phillips on ensemble brass, I think) synched to the finals vid.

• Thanks 6

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the BD story is true, Scott Johnson went into details on the Drum Corps Coffee Shop podcast. I don't remember a drum major flipping off judges, but a corps director did

A great corps director did that.  

6 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

David St. Angel if Regiment...forgot the year, tho.

And there are a couple of pics of the Wipeout....I have them.  Vid would be the Holy Grail of 80s drum corps, but I doubt any exists.

Throwback time.  I've shared elsewhere my dad marched a local American Legion sponsored corps in Indiana in 1956.  He was one of a handful of high school guys among WWII vets. As was the standard for most of those small corps, they were evenings and weekend warriors.  They recruited my dad as he played in the HS band and he could read sheet music.  Which put him ahead of all the rest of the battery in the corps.

Anyway, they'd do weekend trips for shows and occasionally be overnight, usually in some barracks along with guys from all the other corps.  Very little sleeping was done and very many pranks were pulled.  The director was always on the older guys about not getting the high school kids involved in their hijinks but...it happened.

One of dad's favorite stories is that there was a sop player (they used 1 valve bugles back then) liked playing his sop while sitting on the toilet, usually buck naked, late at night.  No one was sleeping so no one was all that bothered.  I guess the acoustics were good or something.

Anyway, some of the guys recruited my dad and each too a cherry bomb into the other stalls and 1...2...3... lit, flushed, ran.

The resulting explosion in the pipes sent water shooting up the toilet of the sop player...with force.  

He comes roaring out of there chasing them into the barracks yard swearing up and down that they're gonna die.  He's still buck naked.

Pretty much all the other guys up talking, playing cards, whatever, stop what they're doing and watch him running around out there.  He don't care one bit.  Stomps back into the barracks and calls it a night.

Everyone was howling with laughter teasing him the next day.  Across ALL the corps barracked there.  And he'd turn beet red angry about it.

Had it not been 1956 with actual lead pipes, they probably would have destroyed the plumbing.  As it was, they probably did damage enough.  And it was probably not the only damage to the barracks when the corps were in town for the show.

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Was there when it happened. Corps finished first number before crowd realized someone was down. Corps left the field and eventually next scheduled corps came out. After that corps (or the next) Kilties came out and did their show. 
Really hit group I was in as we lost a DM in a July 4th parade the same way that year. 

I was as well. I still have my black ribbon that we wore at finals.

• Thanks 2