Carolina Crown 2023

9 minutes ago, Lance said:

for me, there's at least 1 corps that has been locked into that top 4 area that seems vulnerable to me.  crown isn't it.  just imo.  

I'm trying to keep things calm and you come in throw a molotov like that ?  Gee thanks, Lance!  

pqotyOt.gif

Edited by karuna
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, karuna said:

I'm trying to keep things calm and you come in throw a molotov like that ?  Gee thanks, Lance!  

Sorry, I meant top 14.  

Also, I said the same thing about Crown at the beginning of the season last year and got some flack for it.  And I'm wrong about these things as often as I'm right.  It's all just opinionz.  Took me a couple decades to really figure that out lol.  

Edited by Lance
  • Like 3

The guards in Crown, Bloo, BD and Boston are all improved over where they were at this point in time in 2022.  Once again,  the audience wins.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Cappybara said:

When’s the last time BD came from the west to the east and had their scores fall? We hear all this talk of “west coast inflation,” but in practice, it seems to be a myth 

Let’s remove BD and west vs East for a sec.  Do you consider drum corp an art?  Are judges scoring based off a specific code of points or is it off their perception of the performance?  By code of points, I mean does a judge grant difficulty based off agreed standards like if a Trumpet hits high C they add .5 in proficiency?  Or if a corps performs 25%of their show at 200+ beats a minute then it’s given a specific amount of difficulty points?  Of course not.

It’s rare to see any scores fall throughout a season, and that’s not coincidence.  It’s bc the judges look at the scores from prior day’s competition and just add a few tenths to it…not bc there’s a hard standard like a code of points they follow. By the time BD comes East, there’s already such a gap and judges don’t always feel comfortable closing it quickly. And they end up with undefeated seasons bc of how far ahead they start. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NewArpege said:

Let’s remove BD and west vs East for a sec.  Do you consider drum corp an art?  Are judges scoring based off a specific code of points or is it off their perception of the performance?  By code of points, I mean does a judge grant difficulty based off agreed standards like if a Trumpet hits high C they add .5 in proficiency?  Or if a corps performs 25%of their show at 200+ beats a minute then it’s given a specific amount of difficulty points?  Of course not.

It’s rare to see any scores fall throughout a season, and that’s not coincidence.  It’s bc the judges look at the scores from prior day’s competition and just add a few tenths to it…not bc there’s a hard standard like a code of points they follow. By the time BD comes East, there’s already such a gap and judges don’t always feel comfortable closing it quickly. And they end up with undefeated seasons bc of how far ahead they start. 

Are you seriously saying that the judges for a show say “well, BD got 85.1 last night so we’ll start tonights score at 85.2 and go from there”.  I am not a judge, and i admit that I don’t always get the nuances.  But that sounds just outrageous. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DWW11 said:

Are you seriously saying that the judges for a show say “well, BD got 85.1 last night so we’ll start tonights score at 85.2 and go from there”.  I am not a judge, and i admit that I don’t always get the nuances.  But that sounds just outrageous. 

Of course that’s what they do!  You think that hundreds of judges each summer gently nudge the scores up each night bc they recognize all the minor improvements made each day?  Come on. The scores are not that scientific.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, NewArpege said:

Of course that’s what they do!  You think that hundreds of judges each summer gently nudge the scores up each night bc they recognize all the minor improvements made each day?  Come on. The scores are not that scientific.  

" Hundreds of judges " ?👀

• Like 2