Carolina Crown 2023

Just cause I was curious, I went and looked at scores from the Rockies show last year and BD was at 85.95. Almost 4 points behind what they are this year. Crazy stuff happening out west with scoring. Not saying that BD isn't good this year but almost a 90 before BA is crazy

Edited by TigerBaritone19
  • Thanks 2

I was there in Little Rock tonight seeing these corps live for the first time this season. It was interesting having Crown and Bluecoats perform back to back. It was basically like telling the judges ok… here’s an apple and an orange. Judge! Lol I felt Crown’s show was extremely difficult but VERY exposed (in a good way). I’ll tell you the color guard absolutely blew me away and I’m a drum guy. I definitely hope they win the Zingali this year. They are working their butts off! I would say they just need to highlight King Arthur better with a flashier color outfit (maybe some red or purple?) He gets lost at times in the shuffle but maybe that’s on purpose. 

I felt the drums big time from Crown, and I really like this new direction and sound from them. A lot more risks on the snare and tenor lines with some wicked accent writing. And SUCH dynamic control. It compliments the brass so well. I would have scored them much higher tonight in my opinion. But I’m not on the field I guess lol 

Bluecoats had an odd show but I definitely dig the Kinetic Noise throwback and color explosion on the field! To me, I see color guard being a big problem and I think that will hold them out of a medal this season. It just pales in comparison to Crown. Not sure what happened with design? Bluecoats drums were smoking though and they definitely deserved 1st in Drums. 

The crowd response was better with Crown than Bluecoats tonight (which is odd because there is a heavy Bluecoats fanbase here in LR since they come and host this every year) but I felt both shows left the crowd quiet mostly because they are such complex shows, it’s hard to cheer. 

I’ll be in Broken Arrow so it will be interesting to see how the percussion scoring pans out, because I think it was a bit off. But hey, the Cavaliers brought it on the drum line tonight! Loved the snare solos! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Grandpa Joe said:

Honestly I'm starting to wonder if it's not judges going in with preconceived notions on the percussion.

My hope too. Let’s see if things begin to change as we get through the regionals. Sometimes a few head to head reads are neeeed for the judges to catch up. 

I know a lot of you Crown fans are freaking out right now. I LOVE Crown, especially as a brass and guard guy. I am not a huge fan of this show, and not because it's not good, because it is amazing! I'm not a fan because I think it lacks the demand that I'm used to seeing from a Crown's brass book... There are no wow moments to me. Last year Crown started so strong, but then peaked early and got passed up by BC and BAC before Indy, and I can see that happening again this year. I really hope to see Crown medal, but it's going to be a dogfight til the end. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

Just cause I was curious, I went and looked at scores from the Rockies show last year and BD was at 85.95. Almost 4 points behind what they are this year. Crazy stuff happening out west with scoring. Not saying that BD isn't good this year but almost a 90 before BA is crazy

And BAC scored an 88.1 last night, also a few points ahead of where BD was at Rockies last year — feels like scoring overall this season is reflective of the length and shape of the season and the extra time spent in spring training, maybe? 

• Like 1

Is it me or does this week long break at WCU .. just seem to be killing Crown’s momentum.  Same thing last year. If you are out of competition.. let’s face it .. you’re not stacking wins and building scores. And given the judging proclivities .. I don’t think Crown can afford to be out of sight for this long. 
My 2¢ .. and I know everyone says there is not slotting going on . . but this seems to be about the time the scores already start to coalesce.. 

Edited by BWise
  • Like 1

So power was out when I woke this a.m. Reduced to my obsolete, bug riddled phone, I see one thing: Crown passed by Bloo.

Returning after church, I’ve been able to read the autopsy in more depth, and I’m a bit more sanguine about the situation.

Eerily, this has the early vestiges of a bad movie, that we’ve had to sit through for too many seasons now.

As always though, I remain hopeful for continued success as we enter the truly competitive part of the season.

Lot of drum corps left to “be played”…

GO CROWN!!👑👑

1 hour ago, saxfreq1128 said:

And BAC scored an 88.1 last night, also a few points ahead of where BD was at Rockies last year — feels like scoring overall this season is reflective of the length and shape of the season and the extra time spent in spring training, maybe? 

It's possible. I was thinking earlier this season that it's crazy a corps could jump almost 2 points in one day. It could very well be that scores are inflated a bit seeing as how some corps did not start until July instead of June like usual.

• Like 3