Staff Merry-go-round

21 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well we don't know what we don't know about Tom and Cadets ( except what everyone is talking about, which doesn't support "with cause"). it looks like Shane G had something to do with Tom getting brought into Music City as well. Maybe vetting was done. since transparency and drum corps very rarely go hand in hand who knows.

That's why these sort of swift moves cause ME alarm, everyone is like "oh my god, what a get, Music City is going to be so good" etc. I totally get that. But given DCI and drum corps track record, my response is more WTF than Yes!!. Maybe we should start valuing folks on member feedback more than caption ranking. Problem not practical - but philosophically that sort of approach. Value member experience more highly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

That's why these sort of swift moves cause ME alarm, everyone is like "oh my god, what a get, Music City is going to be so good" etc. I totally get that. But given DCI and drum corps track record, my response is more WTF than Yes!!. Maybe we should start valuing folks on member feedback more than caption ranking. Problem not practical - but philosophically that sort of approach. Value member experience more highly.

If there were any sexual impropriety issues, they would have appeared via Reddit. What's come out (apparently) one of understanding and respecting roles within his previous organization, which would definitely be a problem, but it appears that his role is as advisor/mentor to staff and members, not an on-the-road day to to day instructor. "He wanted us rehearsing rather than sleeping" might be a concern, but not at the levels of "___ sent me a dick pic" that would get DCI-level attention.

All that said, word is that a number of WC corps are hiring new people and not picking up the phone to check whether their new peeps are eligible for re-hire at their former corps. Really, people? Six years in, and you still don't get how that most cursory check works?

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well...it has at times. when i say for a while i'm talking at least 10 years

When Cadets don't make finals, THEN I'll agree with this. However, your point is essentially correct based on where they normally have placed. 

17 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I think the "military bearing" seems to be gone....within the ADULTS. The members seem to still conduct themselves much better than the adults have within the past few years, and this isn't just a Cadets thing either. 

My observation would be that this is because the activity, generally, expects excellence from the kids and accepts (on many levels) less than that from the adults.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, kdaddy said:

This is a great point. 21 and under students seem to have a better grasp of right and wrong.

I noticed that with the Cadets guard guy at LOS this past year.

Still very young, but clearly on staff and trying to show the world how important he was...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I suppose it also depends how you define ‘success’.  They have been a DCI finalist since what - 79 or 80?  That is one way to define success. 

yes. let's just say the drama has definitely increased over the last decade...and it was 80 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, George Dixon said:

given TA's background for his day gig, if there were serious issues we'd have seen that come up and possibly affect that. as i said in another post, i do believe it was all personality/power conflict. One person's "with cause" with a sycophant board is another persons "unfounded drama"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Slingerland said:

If there were any sexual impropriety issues, they would have appeared via Reddit. What's come out (apparently) one of understanding and respecting roles within his previous organization, which would definitely be a problem, but it appears that his role is as advisor/mentor to staff and members, not an on-the-road day to to day instructor. "He wanted us rehearsing rather than sleeping" might be a concern, but not at the levels of "___ sent me a dick pic" that would get DCI-level attention.

All that said, word is that a number of WC corps are hiring new people and not picking up the phone to check whether their new peeps are eligible for re-hire at their former corps. Really, people? Six years in, and you still don't get how that most cursory check works?

well in the HR world, calling an organization about previous employment will only get you "yes they worked here from x to y". saying anything but can lead to legal actions that usually don't end well for the previous employer

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Daave said:

My observation would be that this is because the activity, generally, expects excellence from the kids and accepts (on many levels) less than that from the adults.

the best way to screw up an activity for kids is to include adults

• Like 4
  • Haha 1