The Cavaliers 2023

I don't think I've ever seen an 8th place corps take tops in percussion, but it's going to happen.

• Like 2

Solid run for semis! IDK if we'll be able to get clean enough by tomorrow to catch the likes of Phantom, but it's clear that the men are loving this show and giving it their all. Certainly making this FMM proud! 💚

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, CloudFuel said:

Solid run for semis! IDK if we'll be able to get clean enough by tomorrow to catch the likes of Phantom, but it's clear that the men are loving this show and giving it their all. Certainly making this FMM proud! 💚

I know I am extremely proud of them!!

• Like 1

The cavies have been practicing their ##### off trying to squeeze every tenth out of the show. Tonight's run was better than last night's.

• Like 1

I'm kidding but I'm just imagining the Cavaliers drums staff looking at the horn staff after they got 10th in brass achievement.

Quite the disparity in scoring on the main performance captions. I wonder how they plan to address this before next season.

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, boxingfred said:

The cavies have been practicing their ##### off trying to squeeze every tenth out of the show. Tonight's run was better than last night's.

They can squeeze as much as they want, and while I love the Cavaliers, there was definitely some missed opportunities from a design perspective. These men have definitely worked hard and have made the best out of an “okay” show design. Unfortunately the GE will hold back other captions as well. Besides the 1st from drums I did see a few 6 and 7 placements in sub captions that’s a positive.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2023 at 10:27 PM, Hook'emCavies said:

How did they look as a whole?

Awesome.  Best run yet!

• Like 1

...and they're sniffing a 92. That's an incredible score and nothing to be ashamed of!

The problem with the ge is the perception that this show is old fashioned because it has "drill" and the music isn't a Michael Bay film every 5 seconds. It's a journey and those of us more familiar and connected with the Cavaliers rep history get more out of the show.

I can think of 5 ideas that would together add a point to the show, but that's not how this works.

Next year will be better. This year, we finish this show and we alum celebrate the amazing gift received from the current brothers in the corps.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

The problem with the ge is the perception that this show is old fashioned because it has "drill" and the music isn't a Michael Bay film every 5 seconds. It's a journey and those of us more familiar and connected with the Cavaliers rep history get more out of the show.

I think that's an overly-simplistic way to look at it. No judge is viewing the show as old-fashioned, and especially not for the amount of drill present - the 7 units above them have tons of drill that is interspersed with choreography, not the other way around, and mountains of fleshed-out melodic material, if that's what you're implying by the Michael Bay film note. It's just not a show that heads anywhere new, interesting (other than to alumni), or unique, and that has nothing to do with the amount of drill. It's not my favorite Cavies show, especially when compared to their 2016-2019 trajectory upward of fresh & current shows, but I get that it's a special year. It means a lot to alum, and that's fine. More importantly, the members have CLEARLY sucked all of the blood and marrow and passion they can out of this show, and that is a fantastic sight to see. It makes me, and I assume most fans following the activity, wonder what these guys can do next year when they aren't as harnessed by a design that is constrained by an anniversary year. To me, the corps feels a bit like Phantom in 2019 with Joan - a nice offering that every member performed the absolute snot out of, but I think we were/are more excited to think of what the talented members performing a flawed show could do with a product that meets the occasion and actually propels them forward. 

That said, similar to Phantom in 2019, I will very much enjoy watching every member of the corps proper push this show as far as it can go tomorrow, as they have done diligently the past two performances. This corps has truly figured out how to perform.