Bluecoats 2023

They took the guard caption last night! Wow!

The repetitive chappel narration has got to go. It was just in one part but it was beating a dead horse and couldn't hear the hornline over it. Reminded me of the monotony of Crowns narration last year.

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

The repetitive chappel narration has got to go. It was just in one part but it was beating a dead horse and couldn't hear the hornline over it. Reminded me of the monotony of Crowns narration last yeae.

It’s the new “Do Better” 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I can't put my finger on it, but something is lacking with this show to me. I feel like it is in Parts 2 and 3 of the show...from the ballad on, it is the best paced and designed show of the year. The opener is fine, but after that, there is......SOMETHING missing, not sure what. I felt that way last year a bit as well, right before part 3. My concentration starts to wander a bit after the mass dance....maybe just me.

Also, the scoring last night just further proves that I know NOTHING about drum corps 🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

The repetitive chappel narration has got to go. It was just in one part but it was beating a dead horse and couldn't hear the hornline over it. Reminded me of the monotony of Crowns narration last year.

Yep, it reminds me of "right here, right now" and I'm sick of hearing it.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Maleguena1988 said:

I can't put my finger on it, but something is lacking with this show to me. I feel like it is in Parts 2 and 3 of the show...from the ballad on, it is the best paced and designed show of the year. The opener is fine, but after that, there is......SOMETHING missing, not sure what. I felt that way last year a bit as well, right before part 3. My concentration starts to wander a bit after the mass dance....maybe just me.

Also, the scoring last night just further proves that I know NOTHING about drum corps 🙂

The dance work in Bump drains me visually. There is so much going on musically to take in and it distracts me. If I could only watch the show once, I would simply not be able to focus on the music. By contrast, the opener going into the narration is segregated. You have the opener and then some musical space followed by narration and body work only. Very different vibe IMHO.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

The narration is right out of the source material, FWIW. The piece is absolutely bonkers, you should check it out. I would love to be a fly on the wall on these design meetings.

I'd probably fall off the wall due to all the smoke 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bicsta said:

The narration is right out of the source material, FWIW. The piece is absolutely bonkers, you should check it out. I would love to be a fly on the wall on these design meetings.

I'd probably fall off the wall due to all the smoke 🙂

Just because it's in the source material doesn't mean they have to adhere to it so much. It is a little excessive IMO but there's so much to watch in this show that I'm able to tune it out. This show is really a feast for the senses. So wacky, so cool, so good. I mean, yes, I would love to be a fly on the wall during their design meetings, but the smoke from whatever they're smoking during them would probably kill me 🙂 Joking, here, obvi.

• Haha 1

i know a lot of people hate the spoken word poem, and its repetitive nature, but i really love it. i love how the music interacts with the words, i love how the speaking rhythm and what the percussion plays is tied together. it flows with the music not against it, its something they did really well last year as well. its not too intrusive, but it is a little silly hearing "a chapel, a chapel, a chapel" with the horn line playing with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bicsta said:

The narration is right out of the source material, FWIW.

The source material doesn't repeat anything, but it sounds like the show does (though maybe I'm wrong as it was hard to hear on Flo).

I really like the poem, and the visual references to it.

I went to the Garden of Love,

And saw what I never had seen:

A Chapel was built in the midst,

Where I used to play on the green.

And the gates of this Chapel were shut,

And 'Thou shalt not' writ over the door;

So I turn'd to the Garden of Love,

That so many sweet flowers bore. 

And I saw it was filled with graves,

And tomb-stones where flowers should be:

And Priests in black gowns, were walking their rounds,

And binding with briars, my joys & desires.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Ashontheinternet said:

i know a lot of people hate the spoken word poem, and its repetitive nature, but i really love it. i love how the music interacts with the words, i love how the speaking rhythm and what the percussion plays is tied together. it flows with the music not against it, its something they did really well last year as well. its not too intrusive, but it is a little silly hearing "a chapel, a chapel, a chapel" with the horn line playing with it.

They're doing an aural effect similar to 2015 with Mr. Maps, but unlike Mr. Maps, it is repeating a single phrase rather than reading lines.  Which, to me, is less effective than the brillance of what they did with Mr. Maps.

• Like 4