The Cadets 2023

9 minutes ago, jameseuph said:

Brass and Perc are solid. Visual and guard will need a lot of polish. 

Guard writing it’s a step up from last year. It’s definitely more challenging. Weapons are pretty strong for early season. But all around needs work.

1 hour ago, mcjordansc said:

When is the new ending going to be added? 😀

The show needs more and a "strong" (pun intended) ending. Percussion is solid! I feel the brass is not being challenged enough. Guard needs to develop and perform with more confidence.

Overall a better starting point than last year. Visually right now it seems hard to define where the focal points should be within the staging.

6 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

The show needs more and a "strong" (pun intended) ending. Percussion is solid! I feel the brass is not being challenged enough. Guard needs to develop and perform with more confidence.

Overall a better starting point than last year. Visually right now it seems hard to define where the focal points should be within the staging.

They didn’t perform the closer - more to come I’m sure. 

So I watched that clip a few times. No closer yet, but this is one heck of a show for The Cadets. Love the music so far. Powerful stuff! Field perc is going to be really good as they clean. That bass drum feature is super nice. The pit writing is fantastic. Brass is powerful and playing a challenging book. Incredible trumpet soloist in the ballad and the tubas are cranking in a few section. Keep in mind that this is a 6-week season so the show has to clean fairly quickly and I think The Cadets have hit the right sweet spot in terms of demand vs cleaning vs entertaining. This goes for the drill too, though I know changes will be made and the closer was not performed for this show. Overall they are in a good place competitively and also should be quite entertaining this summer. Well done Cadets! 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Big Bird said:

Why is the Cadets only marching 10 tubas?  I don't understand the props.  Hopefully, this show will clean fairly quickly.  Though I haven't seen the corps in person, the guard appears to be inexperienced.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the  link to the show debut yesterday. 

I understand its June, so, I’ll see what they add, clean, etc, as there is a whole season in front of them. I get a lot of this will look and sound different in time. It always does. 

Although for now…...idk. Maybe some of you feel the same here. I need to understand we are in a new era. And regarding that era, there is one thing in the way I expect things to be. I realize now,  that needs to change.

I still think each corps is going to come out and do a Gaines like drill, totally wowing me from their first show.  In my head I am thinking as I am in 2011- or earlier. I see Cavies, Cadets, SCV, or Crown, and my first thought is, “what will Saktig or Gaines come up with this year when I first see them in June?”  I am expecting a drill that just makes me say, “ Oh my God that’s incredible! “. “How awesome is that straight leg technique going to be in the visual.” Or, “how great is that brass going to sound as they are doing those sets.”

Last year with the Cadets, I felt that from first view. 

But, everything must change.  I need to understand that the props, dance/movement, etc., play an important role now. Whats on the field is going to look different, and the corps will be interacting with them a lot more then perhaps running and gunning with 16th and 32nd runs in a drill. 

And to be honest, its an acquired taste for me.

But rather than turn off, I am trying see it through and be patient. 

This said…There are some things I like, and things I don’t like so far in this Cadets show.  I had some very optimistic thoughts on this show, when it was announced. I thought it could be one of the best from the corps.  The repertoire is outstanding, and the theme to go along with that, seemed to fit the athletic and “ movement is music” style of the Cadets. 

I was hoping for a bigger brass presence in the opener as well as some of the great drill they had in their opener from last year, carrying over into this year. The circular prop in the middle and the concentration of the members doing dancing and movement is a lot different than what I thought I’d see. To that, and as I said above - I understand this a new era we are in. And I am open to it growing on me. But  I was hoping for some larger drill sets with the Hans Zimmer piece and a build into that famous theme. Was looking for something more instead of a heavy percussion into then  20 second,  “ hey! we are here” moment with the brass.  Honestly, a little disappointed there. 

Immortal is the highlight for me. Great arrangement. The soloist is outstanding in the ballad part of the piece. Looking forward to how this grows and builds. But, again, disappointed somewhat in the non movement/ no drill in the brass passages of the rest of the piece. We will see if that changes. 

Overall, its June. And historically with The Cadets, what we see in June could look very different by August. In the meantime, I will see how the show progresses and root for and support them as I always have- perhaps along the way learning to understand The Cadets and the entire activity, differently. 

Edited by Dmlkmen
  • Thanks 8