Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

Just now, jwillis35 said:

Agree and disagree. Yes, techs are not paid that much, but 25 to 30 techs x $1000 to $2000 or more still adds up. Also you still have to feed them. They take up room on the bus. My point is that those caption heads and designers who are being paid a lot more money do not need as much help if they are required to do most of tour and camps. I'd say the number of techs has gone too far. Again, this is not the solution for every corps especially if you are financially OK. But for those on tight budgets it isn't going to hurt to cut back.Ā 

Whenā€™s the last time you were on tour? And which head do you know has been sitting at home by the pool 2 of the 3 months of summer?Ā 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think another point that needs to be made is the fact that many local band programs have made the jump into scaled up productions since the days when DCI ruled the marching activity, and it is in this area where I think a lot of the local support has gone.Ā 

The point about drum corps having no local ties anymore is a critical one in my opinion. Parental help, local revenue streams, local businesses pitching in to directly serve their customer base and support an educational mission connected to their local schools, supporting the kids in their town, etc etc.Ā  DCI corps are never going to see that again.Ā  And in many cases, the product put out by these high school band programs surpass what drum corps put out.Ā 

It used to be that you had to go to DCI if you wanted to be the creme de la creme, now for many you can stay home and achieve it at your local school.Ā  It's still an arms race, but a more manageable one and certainly one that is closer to home for many.

Edited by hughesmr
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Agree and disagree. Yes, techs are not paid that much, but 25 to 30 techs x $1000 to $2000 or more still adds up. Also you still have to feed them. They take up room on the bus. My point is that those caption heads and designers who are being paid a lot more money do not need as much help if they are required to do most of tour and camps. I'd say the number of techs has gone too far. Again, this is not the solution for every corps especially if you are financially OK. But for those on tight budgets it isn't going to hurt to cut back.Ā 

Your numbers for techs are a tad bit too high. And yes, I said too high. A majority of those techs will be with the corps for a week, tops. A majority do it for the experience, not the money. Nobody is getting rich.Ā 

• Like 1

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

I re-read their statement and the more I reflect upon it, it causes me to have greater concern about the future of SCV.

Bingo jn California is dying. It does not have a future. The data is clear. Ā 
Ā 

Planning on a wish-and-prayer that a second Bingo becomes operational to keep the Corps going is bad management. Ā Putting out a statement that actually says (paraphrasing here) ā€œwe arenā€™t fielding a corps because we couldnā€™t get another bingo operation goingā€ is bad leadership. Ā 
Ā 

Think about that - they say that bingo revenues are down and THEN say that their future hopes are resting on opening another bingo operation. Ā 
Ā 

Ugh. Ā This is bad and I think itā€™s going to get worse. Ā 

Back when bingo was big in my area my understanding was hard core players could find a game every night of the week. IOW there were already established games and peoples routine of ā€œif itā€™s Wednesday then itā€™s St Olafs bingo nightā€ was set. Hard to break that with a new gameā€¦

Edited by JimF-LowBari

24 minutes ago, hughesmr said:

I think another point that needs to be made is the fact that many local band programs have made the jump into scaled up productions since the days when DCI ruled the marching activity, and it is in this area where I think a lot of the local support has gone.Ā 

The point about drum corps having no local ties anymore is a critical one in my opinion. Parental help, local revenue streams, local businesses pitching in to directly serve their customer base and support an educational mission connected to their local schools, supporting the kids in their town, etc etc.Ā  DCI corps are never going to see that again.Ā  And in many cases, the product put out by these high school band programs surpass what drum corps put out.Ā 

It used to be that you had to go to DCI if you wanted to be the creme de la creme, now for many you can stay home and achieve it at your local school.Ā  It's still an arms race, but a more manageable one and certainly one that is closer to home for many.

very much an uncommon take that you see on here, some would call this a ā€œspicyā€ take haha

26 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

:babies::babies::babies::babies:

You made me cry like a baby this morning, good job.

The skinny baritone player with glasses clearly visible in the field cam closeup of the hand clasp at the end of drum solo on the Legacy DVD thanks you. šŸ˜‰

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1