Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

On 12/18/2022 at 7:13 PM, mjoakes said:

DCP is like one never-ending faculty meeting.

I first read this as DCI is like…. 

Thats DCI the organization 

On 12/19/2022 at 4:56 AM, OG84 said:

This is all true. No brass player learns how to move air like one playing a 2v G bugle, 3v G bugle, or even the most efficient Yamaha Xeno.

”Breathe to protect the end of the phrase,” was something that Tim Salzman said to us a thousand times in 84. But what he really said was that on his tombstone he wanted these words, “He said, ‘breathe to protect the end of the phrase.’” That’s how important it was to him, or at least that’s what he told us.

OG84

I totally forgot that; thanks for the reminder.

I also had a flashback to his “please don’t mess up” speech when Sandra Opie did that clinic with us that summer. 

On 12/22/2022 at 10:40 AM, keystone3ply said:

Wow! Must have been a slow day at work.  Great spreadsheet!  :spitting:

I've been trying to do this for 5 years!!!  Kudos to whomever found the time to put this together.  It really reinforces the fact that most of drum corps is not being run in a fiscally responsible way.  Even BD was getting close to zero net assets.  Big hand to Bluecoats and Blue Stars for such great management.

• Like 2

New update from SCV with a review of how they got here with respect to budgets and the decision path they took to get here:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Dansize said:

New update from SCV with a review of how they got here with respect to budgets and the decision path they took to get here:

A very thorough and business-like presentation. It seems genuine and transparent. I'm very interested to see what ideas and options arise when it comes to new revenue streams.

• Like 3

Watched bits and pieces. Know I keep coming back to this but bingo revenue was down due to covid, etc in 2021-2022. But sounds like BoD went with the thinking “oh bingo revenue will come back so we’re not going to worry about it”. Bingo didn’t come back (it ain’t going to folks) and NOW they start thinking of other revenue sources.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Dansize said:

I have avoided expressing my own opinion on Vanguard but after the video now is a good time. 

I by no means am saying for those who have been critical that valid points have not been made BUT I will say how terribly hard it must be to put a pause on a corps, especially a corps with such a rich history. Personally, and it's only my opinion, as much as I do not want to see Vanguard stop, not even for a minute and how missed this storied drum corps IMO will be missed I, give them so much credit for doing what they are doing. How many corps have done just the opposite, take their members on tour knowing they would never make it till the end, had to beg other corps to help feed their members, did not take care of their members as they should have been, didn't make it till the end of the year, beg for money on tour, how many make promises to members and staff and never follow through. Over the years there have been many who have done exactly that. (No need to hash up who they are and the past mistakes of some still within the activity)

There may have been others who have credited SCV for this very hard decision in the thread but if not, I have been wanting to do it. Have SCV made mistakes? Probably, hindsight is always 20/20 but they could have headed out again, made promises, increase debt and end up where many others have. Doing the right thing IMO should be celebrated especially when we have seen quite the opposite over the years. 

It is quite easy for some to criticize and claim to know all the answers and for those who figured out how to do this and to flourish, I congratulate all of them, we need more of you and your ideas that have worked but also have to remind some that they may have been in the opposite position for years. So many things can affect lucrative funding situations and it does take a special team to think beyond what they have today but also think about what if it dried up. I like to think SCV , or hope that is what they are doing right now.

I truly will miss SCV presence in 2023 but are hopeful a stronger SCV returns.

Best of Luck, your success is good for SCV, good for past and future members and good for the activity.

• Like 2

FYI, here is a link for the zoom meeting last September when they announced Vanguard Cadets weren't coming out. I believe the first 30 minutes is specific to the Vanguard Cadets situation.

Vanguard September Zoom Meeting

Let me throw this out there because I see no evidence this has been considered:

What if months ago, they decided to pause SCV for 2023, and keep Vanguard Cadets, but do the BDB model (ie- no touring outside California, only kids within 200 miles of Santa Clara). There would still be expenses, but much less than a World Class nationwide tour and Open Class several week midwest tour. Also, as much as possible, local staff (no air fare).

With BD, SCV, and Mandarins in the area, I cannot believe there aren't designers and staff members in the area that could have worked with SCVC to operate albeit on a much more limited, in-state basis for a time while big brother is on hiatus.

If finances would not allow even that limited, local Open class option, may I add an idea for the rebirth:

START with Vanguard Cadets, get that corps up and running (and build a more local presence), then add SCV once the base is built up. He wants local help, but if the Cadet corps never comes back, how are all those Texas kids in SCV going to help with bingo (or whatever additional local revenue sources they utilize).

Just a thought.  Restart locally (Open), then add nationally (World) only after the local base is re-established.

Edited by wolfgang
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1