Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

4 hours ago, MarimbaManiac said:

You have a very skewed view of what drum corps is teaching you. Besides the "5 minutes" of ensemble playing they are also teaching you complex movements, breath control and ability to execute simultaneous demand while ensemble playing, learning quickly and adapting to change as there are constant adjustments being made all around you, spatial awareness and the ability to track what the 150 other members are doing all around you, and your place in the larger group. They are teaching higher level skills but they are still teaching. Compare that to a beginning music technology course where they teach you the basics of synthesis and how to use the tools available, and those more advanced courses teaching psychoacoustics, interactivity, and cross platform interconnectivity. They are still teaching even though they don't touch the basics within their course, they just elevate the basic knowledge to a higher level with more nuance and detail. 

You might want to minimize everything that's happening there, but it's making you sound irrational and out of touch with reality.  

Well, as someone that actually marched on the field, and has some level of experience on this, you don't keep track of all 150 members.  Breath control, I refer his holy saint Arnold Jacobs and his fine classes.  To this day I am well aware of everything around me (thank you drum corps).  Friends I will have until the day I die are from marching corps.  Drum corps taught me a LOT about marching and drum corps and frankly made HS and college marching band easy.  Yes I can march and play at a higher level.  But, the real world playing techniques from a university are FAR more relevant to the world.  Many people that march drum corps never go on into music and don't know any better.  They still think you need to warm up for an hour etc....without realizing that that is such a drum corps un needed fallacy...and I could go on and on.

Now, speaking of being irrational and out of touch, brings me back to you and your "arguments".  Please, show me how many professional orchestras use 5 marimbas and you will stay relevant on discussing higher ed music.  I get you feel threatened and belittled, but understand the world isn't about you.  Real world music doesn't revolve around your insular mentality.  I'm sorry if I offend you but reality is what it is.

Edited by Mello Dude

I have seen non-profits let their status lapse.  If that happens it is a royal pain to fix.  Try doing this AND a liquor license @ the same time..talk about having to move mountains.  That has to do with MAJOR organization failure.  Been there and done that picking up the pieces.  Seriously knowing what I know now, I would not EVER want to do that again and wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Edited by Mello Dude

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

They WERE registered for years but from what I caught (board never spelled out how they screwed up) what they claimed to be doing didn’t match what they were doing. One year PA looked at their paperwork and… nope. Took them years to get NP back. Finally had to actually give money 😱 to a school to match the “educational” claims they made.
And (thinking of DCI) they had been “doing it this way for years” so why change. And why get someone from the outside (like lawyers who deal with NP) to check. Plus same board members for years (just rotate thru the offices) so no one had a clue what was really going on. Don’t think any board member had any legal expertise but they tried to handle it themselves 🤦‍♂️

Because, as I have said before, DCI is world class at burying their head in the sand. And sand doesn't become transparent until 3200F.  And it isn't that hot.  Yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Because, as I have said before, DCI is world class at burying their head in the sand. And sand doesn't become transparent until 3200F.  And it isn't that hot.  Yet.

Been a member of this group since my parents joined in 1970 and got my own membership in 1975. IOW I’ve seen the egos evolve and grow over the decades. Amazing how people with low level jobs, HS diploma (maybe) and nothing else in Their lives suddenly become experts on everything because they are a board member.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

you can't run each other's corps for them.  you and your board have to fund yourselves.  DCI is worried about communal problems.  The season overview, the sheets, the major shows they collectively draw revenue from, and the contracts/agreements associated with each of these things.  The rest...  well each their own.  Seeing as each group has its hands full finding their own respective funding sources, its not like they have time to cross over into another group to manage their finances as well.

Would you really want someone showing significant operating problems to have to manage your groups?

Edited by C.Holland

11 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Totes, and thank you. I guess this just calls for differentiation...

If you're teaching to the show, wouldn't that make you an entertainment company/industry? Wouldn't it make more sense to free yourselves from the trappings of "education" and nonprofits and just teach to the show? Education/pedagogy can be a secondary benefit, no problem. The show must go on mentality.

If you're teaching to the members, you must be willing to sacrifice the product for the educational process. (Ideally you don't have to sacrifice either because both are in synergy.) But when push comes to shove, the importance of the lesson and process overshadows the product when your mission is based in education.

Colorguards, winterguards and drum corps have never really settled which they want to be. Guess I've always naively hoped and assumed they were the latter.

Thanks for restoring some of my faith, as always.

well thank you. I'm not sure I've actually done anything other than my perspective which of course could and like anything challenged in the past. At least for me, wanting a great product, achieving high, being the best doesn't have to be exclusive. Now I am not saying there aren't others who do and feel just like you said. I am also not saying that there haven't been students time to time that moved on from me because they wanted that quick satisfaction without the possible weight of pulling someone maybe with a little less talent up to success. For me, at times, looked at the so-called talent God's who I just pushed out of a final's and watched the members no one would want, with a medal on their neck, while the others who smugly dismissed them has given be great satisfaction. 

AS far as the product, as I said I don't think (others might debate) it has to be exclusive one way or another. A good teacher or designer lets their students shine, which makes their product shine. At least for me THAT"S when product as well as student looks, feels, and projects and even commands success.   JMO

I do get when you say, just be an entertainment co. I know there were some in the past who wanted exactly that. While we are still competitive activity, teaching and learning is important and that goes for staff also. The staff person who can't learn from others anymore is of no use to any staff IMO

SCV 2023 announcement may have nothing to do with this but with your experience there maybe it does.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

They WERE registered for years but from what I caught (board never spelled out how they screwed up) what they claimed to be doing didn’t match what they were doing. One year PA looked at their paperwork and… nope. Took them years to get NP back. Finally had to actually give money 😱 to a school to match the “educational” claims they made.
And (thinking of DCI) they had been “doing it this way for years” so why change. And why get someone from the outside (like lawyers who deal with NP) to check. Plus same board members for years (just rotate thru the offices) so no one had a clue what was really going on. Don’t think any board member had any legal expertise but they tried to handle it themselves 🤦‍♂️

Not drum corps, but a very similar thing happened with my neighborhood HOA before and after we moved in.  A guy with no financial background or training was the board treasurer.  He filed the HOA taxes for 7 years... as a FOR PROFIT ENTITY.  He paid himself between $100 and $350 each year to cost the HOA upwards of $50,000.  It wasn't until someone else took over as treasurer and she asked me to look at the paperwork for the HOA.  I solved the issue in 10 minutes over lunch with the Director of Tax for my company.  It cost the HOA a 1 pound cheeseburger from Fuddruckers to file amended taxes for the last 3 yeas and get over $20,000 back.

NP's have a lot of rules to follow and deadlines to meet, but the benefits of being tax-exempt are worth spending $300/hr on a CPA or tax attorney to handle it.

Edited by Tenoris4Jazz
forgot he paid himself every year... 💀
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Many more think they can.

true. but you  never know unless you try

15 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Acknowledged, and agreed.  But that ship has sailed.

1.  Those who led the activity since 1972 have been continually raising the cost of the activity, in stark contrast to those who led the activity prior.

2.  The activity derives the majority of its financing from member fees.  

It seems pretty clear that the people who usher in these changes, lecture us on operating more like a business, and take zero accountability for the 90% decline in corps population can barely find the time to provide that lip service.  In fact, many of them spend their off-seasons making the marching band and winter guard activities more expensive too.  Now even the scholastic activities are pricing less affluent communities out of the pageantry arts.

This is not the first time you, I or others have pointed out how the emperor has no clothes.  But this emperor is a proud nudist.

as stated here and on Tim Hintons podcast, member fees don't even make up 50% of the total cost.