2023 DCI Rules Congress proposals at-a-glance

Lance

I'd be for approving shorter times in performance competition along the lines of what is proposed above, but just for the Open Class Division... but not in World Class. We already have too many Corps in " dead time " where they dont play a note of music in brass for what seems like forever. I timed Corps from when they started their show, and to when they ultimately got around to playing something on the 80 person brass line.  It was way too much time, imo. So, No, I hope the Corps dont decide to perform less in performance musically than many of them already are.

• Like 2

I’m not happy with # 1. Is brass more important than percussion?

Hard nos on #2 & #4. I don’t want shorter shows. This isn’t BOA and I hate the idea of an exhibition season. Isn’t drum corps about competition? If not, let’s go with the 2021 type of season. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

58 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I’m not happy with # 1. Is brass more important than percussion?     

For me, yes.  Would never watch a DCI show with no brass.  Can you imagine 19 on field percussion and 48 guard?  Brass provides the most iconic drill moves.  CD sales would tank without brass.  But, as for judging a section goes, I'll wait to read what the experts say.

34 minutes ago, TOC said:

For me, yes.  Would never watch a DCI show with no brass.  Can you imagine 19 on field percussion and 48 guard?  Brass provides the most iconic drill moves.  CD sales would tank without brass.  But, as for judging a section goes, I'll wait to read what the experts say.

Well, the expert who proposed this, is a brass designer for Carolina Crown. I wonder why. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Phantom56 said:

A ten minute show? Please NO. The corps travel hundreds of miles through every night--to perform for ten minutes?  I really wish to hear Crowns brass for as long as possible.  I say less rehearsal time--more performance time. 

They used to be 11. Plus a few minutes to get on and off the field. Anyone who wants less crap on the field should like this.  It was changed due to wanting more crap on the field.  Heck, I like this. Let them find ways to get to the point instead of dance dance dance play dance dance zzzzz zzzzzZzzzzZzzzzz PLAY LOUD bits Zzzzzz dance dance LOUD. Rinse repeat 

• Thanks 1

I'm loving this slate of proposals:

1] Yes, but I agree with others if MA2 is dedicated to "holistic brass ensemble", percussion deserves its counterpart -- let's shift altogether MA to "music ensemble" and in setting with double panels, split into "brass ensemble" and "percussion ensemble"

2] Yes for 15 minute intervals but have show lengths 9-11min or 10-12min -- preferred outcome would be faster overall show flow while maintaining performance content

3] Yes, for clarity

4] No, the west coast is already disadvantaged by early season-only shows -- don't take the thrill of competition away, too

5] Yes, this helps improve parity

6] Yes, this helps improve parity

7 hours ago, C.Holland said:

They used to be 11. Plus a few minutes to get on and off the field. Anyone who wants less crap on the field should like this.  It was changed due to wanting more crap on the field.  Heck, I like this. Let them find ways to get to the point instead of dance dance dance play dance dance zzzzz zzzzzZzzzzZzzzzz PLAY LOUD bits Zzzzzz dance dance LOUD. Rinse repeat 

They were 13 minutes when I marched. 

• Thanks 1

I'm ready for the blow back from this, but all music judges should have to PROVE competency in percussion before they are allowed to judge music. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, C.Holland said:

And before it was 11 it was 11:30-13. 

I see a trend here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rule #2 Sucks! Don't Downsize my Drum Corps shows too! Shrinkflation hits Drum Corps. Frosted Flakes and Charmin downsized on me. Now This!? GIVE ME FEWER DRUM CORPS! and SHORTER SHOWS. SOUNDS GRRRRRREAT!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1