How Does the Activity Expect to Survive.

14 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

And we're off 🙂.....

Allowing woodwinds in Drum Corps other than in the context of a pit, will not "save" Drum Corps.  It will kill it because then Drum Corps turns into a common marching band and the power and beauty of the all brass ensemble disappears.  That's what made Drum Corps unique and special. Adding woodwinds to the field will not lower the skyrocketing cost of housing, food, insurance, transportation, medical care, etc.  That is what's harming the prospects of its long term survival - not the absence of woodwinds marching on the field. 

This may also sound harsh: if a woodwind player wants to march in Drum Corps learn how to play a brass horn (or drum, or guard).  I had to in order to march in my chosen corps, and there's nothing stopping anyone else from doing the same except for a sense of entitlement. 

I read somewhere that 80% of corps-aged woodwind marchers said they would march DCI if it allowed woodwinds. (Can’t remember where so take it as you will.) Also, this is not a catch all solution, but it would certainly help revitalize drum corps. Also, I live 2 hours away from the Blue stars and 4hrs away from the colts. Who does more promotion in the area? Colts. Advertising dci more would work along with putting it back on pbs.

20 minutes ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

I read somewhere that 80% of corps-aged woodwind marchers said they would march DCI if it allowed woodwinds. (Can’t remember where so take it as you will.) Also, this is not a catch all solution, but it would certainly help revitalize drum corps. Also, I live 2 hours away from the Blue stars and 4hrs away from the colts. Who does more promotion in the area? Colts. Advertising dci more would work along with putting it back on pbs.

I looked at your profile and apparently you're a new fan of the activity?  Welcome!!!  We need you. 

Ignore me as I turn into a curmudgeon when this topic comes up. 

Join either corps.  You'll be glad you did for the rest of your life. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I looked at your profile and apparently you're a new fan of the activity?  Welcome!!!  We need you. 

Ignore me as I turn into a curmudgeon when this topic comes up. 

Join either corps.  You'll be glad you did for the rest of your life. 

Yeah, I’m gonna do dca once I get my baritone abilities  up to skill and then after that do one of the two,

• Like 3

12 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And…. Acoustics, acoustics, acoustics…

We played at opening of local special olympics. Was in a 1930s hockey arena which has concrete roof, sides and floor. We stood on walkway halfway up as athletes came in and filled in chairs on the floor. Amount of echo at the start was horrific and as more athletes came in to soak up the sound it got better. Better as in royally sucked less.

Anyone who watched or performed at Hershey PA stadium has seen the place as it’s across the parking lot from the ticket office

And if you look at WGI in Dayton the back is curtained off like Indy for acoustics

10 hours ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

For drum corps to survive, it must adapt and allow woodwinds. Your comment is kinda harsh

I don’t see woodwinds being the salvation. In fact in past proposals the added costs were cited as a reason to not add them 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I don’t see woodwinds being the salvation. In fact in past proposals the added costs were cited as a reason to not add them 

Agreed.  And if it was the salvation, they surely would have proposed it this year as some of these corps are hurtin’ for certain. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

Woodwinds won't save anything and in fact will kill any identity drum corps still has.  Also, the maintenance on woodwinds would be beyond the patience of many.  Drum corps is not easy on equipment.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Plus, there's the whole "I can't rehearse in the rain because it will destroy my pads" mantra that woodwind players have been using for decades....

• Like 1
  • Haha 5