How Does the Activity Expect to Survive.

On 2/25/2023 at 10:49 PM, TOC said:

Are we at the point, or getting close to it, where DCI is losing more fans than gaining new ones each year? 

i think this depends on who the end client is.  If the client is the student that the corps want to entice to march, then shows are overflowing with kids looking to march the next season.   At the regionals there load ands loads of band students who are there.  And, in theory, those students will come audition next season.  But this may not be sustainable.  Because your ticket buyer, is also the person you need to fill the ranks next season.  Who then eventually ages out, and MIGHT come to a show after they age out,  but they are paying the cash to come to finals week. 

If you mean the aging former member, age out, or casual drum corps lover, then yes.  Those fans are dying out.  Either because of the programming on the field, or age in general.   

Edited by C.Holland

1 hour ago, C.Holland said:

i think this depends on who the end client is.  If the client is the student that the corps want to entice to march, then shows are overflowing with kids looking to march the next season.   At the regionals there load ands loads of band students who are there.  And, in theory, those students will come audition next season.  But this may not be sustainable.  Because your ticket buyer, is also the person you need to fill the ranks next season.  Who then eventually ages out, and MIGHT come to a show after they age out,  but they are paying the cash to come to finals week. 

If you mean the aging former member, age out, or casual drum corps lover, then yes.  Those fans are dying out.  Either because of the programming on the field, or age in general.   

Please correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Indy just have 20,000+ on finals night for like the 9th-10th consecutive DCI Season? 

The California shows have phenomenal turnouts and are jam packed every year. While I have no proof, it wouldn't shock me if the Rose Bowl approached San Antonio/Atlanta numbers each season. 

This all reminds me of the trolls who invade the sports comments sections online, and they will tell you a certain player isn't good anymore and washed up, till you pull the stats and see the guy just had 1500 yds receiving and named First Team All Pro lol. 

Some people just have narratives to push, regardless of what the facts and stats say. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Indy just have 20,000+ on finals night for like the 9th-10th consecutive DCI Season? 

The California shows have phenomenal turnouts and are jam packed every year. While I have no proof, it wouldn't shock me if the Rose Bowl approached San Antonio/Atlanta numbers each season. 

This all reminds me of the trolls who invade the sports comments sections online, and they will tell you a certain player isn't good anymore and washed up, till you pull the stats and see the guy just had 1500 yds receiving and named First Team All Pro lol. 

Some people just have narratives to push, regardless of what the facts and stats say. 

they likely did.  there's plenty of group rates for school bands.   and it makes sense that they do since all the KY, IN, OH, MO, IL, TN bands are in session during finals week.

And last summer, both of Boston's home shows were sold out, as they have been for years.  I honestly don't know why people keep pushing the narrative that we can't get buttons in seats.   Where are these under attended shows?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, craiga said:

And last summer, both of Boston's home shows were sold out, as they have been for years.  I honestly don't know why people keep pushing the narrative that we can't get buttons in seats.   Where are these under attended shows?

Attendance is swerving all over the road.  Some 2022 shows did unbelievably well, and others did frighteningly poorly.  I would not be surprised to see opinions on attendance diverge, depending on who you ask and where they were last season.

37 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

"Go Bucks"? Drums & brass on the BB court.  (For some previous replies; no woodwinds, cough.) 😂

1962 Garfield Cadets : "Le Regiment de Sambre et Meuse" (Off the Line):

Edited by denverjohn
additional comment
  • Like 2

It seems clear that some people-at least here on DCP-have been utterly traumatized by the failing of SCV.  Some folks, depending on their own, particular agenda, have been using this failing to promote whatever that agenda might be.  In the past two months, we have heard everything from "IT'S THE DANCING AND PRANCING!"    "IT'S THE PROPS!"  "IT'S THE COSTUMES!"  "IT'S THE AMPS!" "IT'S THE CORPS REHEARSING IN OTHER STATES!"  "IT'S THE TOUR FEES!" "IT'S THE TOUR SCHEDULES!" and now, "IT'S THE WE CAN'T GET BUTTS IN SEATS!"

What a load of crapp!  Drum corps as an activity has been in a state of evolution since the 1930s in this country, just like  scouting, church attendance, public education, and society itself.   And for the record, ninety percent of the "hundreds of drum corps" who are now extinct never got near Drum Corps International or touring of any kind.

I turn 63 in two months, and personally love MY drum corps now as much as I did the first time I ever saw them, which was the CYO Nationals at Boston College in August of 1978.

That said, I truly hope that if I ever lose interest in this activity, I would have the good sense to simply not come on dcp any more and trash these kids and their organizations.  Enough is enough.

Last summer, an individual at the highest levels of the Boston Crusaders made a comment to me that stayed with me.  He told me, "while we honor all the legacy heritage of those who came before, our organization is geared towards present day 20 year olds."     I couldn't agree more.

• Like 4