Confessions from a DINO

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

it is amazing that the guard score was not part of the total score until 2000

Wow that is crazy Jeff. I went back and looked at the recaps in 1996 and 1999. If Guard was factored into the scores, BD wins outright in 96 and 99. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Regarding this, by scheherazadesghost, "the judging professionals as a group would need to maintain some control over the process...":

There are judges on the task force and they can make recommendations, but ultimately they work for the associations (DCA/DCI) whose individual corps managements are the ones who vote on rules.

The judges must adhere to those decisions to remain on the "approved" list and be assigned to contests.

I am often amused when people say "Shows are written to please judges, to give them what they want." Not really so.

Edited by ironlips
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

So crazy it took that long.  Forget where, but I've seen a list of each "winning color guard" since 1972.  Kingsmen guard is listed for 1972.  Don't know where they got that from as the only way a guard could make the judging sheet was to drop a piece of equipment.

(which the Kingsmen guard never did, btw, as it wasn't allowed 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

IIRC DCA sheets years back then had CG at 2 or 3 points… 🥵

16 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Score wise YES, caption wise yes, BUT ever since the 70s many didn't believe how the guard influenced ALL scoring and was important. Let's face it (for those who want to believe) Can anyone truly say 27s guard didn't influence the outcomes of that corps. They sure did, believe it or not, Same could be said of PR and many others of the time.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ironlips said:

Regarding this, by scheherazadesghost, "the judging professionals as a group would need to maintain some control over the process...":

There are judges on the task force and they can make recommendations, but ultimately they work for the associations (DCA/DCI) whose individual corps managements are the ones who vote on rules.

The judges must adhere to those decisions to remain on the "approved" list and be assigned to contests.

I am often amused when people say "Shows are written to please judges, to give them what they want." Not really so.

Exactly! 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Was thinking of applying for the Judging Diversity Initiative. I don't think they're is ready for me though lol.

Go for it. Ready or not, the establishment should hear your voice as the system continues to evolve.

It seems clear we are in for some changes anyway.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Yes, but at what cost to those of us speaking up? We'll see, and thanks for the nudge. I have another month on the app window.

Let's hope so.

But refocusing to topic... given that colorguards weren't even counted into the score for much of drum corp history, isn't only natural that the pendulum would swing the other way? 🙂

As a point of order … when I marched, CG was a 2 point subcaption. I can’t remember if it was Visual Analysis or GE Visual (GE M&M) but there were points allotted.  

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Thanks 1