Hats, Helmets, Vaquero, Aussies or Whatever Need to Come Back

2 hours ago, Land_Surfer said:

While I agree in the complimentary aspects of helmets, hats, etc., let’s start with getting rid of electronic instruments and amplification first.  Unplugged!

don't forget high mark time, nationwide tours on school busses, eating McDonalds every day...

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

don't forget high mark time, nationwide tours on school busses, eating McDonalds every day...

Nothing wrong with adding a little nostalgia / tradition.  Nation wide tours should be common.  

7 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

The cymbal players at SC used to be required to shave their heads all season. And take a hard slap across the face before each show, sometimes from staff. 

Ah, times. How they change. Was glad to see both practices die off.

I heard of a baritone line where everyone has to eat an Oreo before they go on. As I understand it there are both gluten free and vegan Oreos available.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I envy all you guys that have/had a fro. I have been bald forever. But I have learned to love my aero dynamic look lol. 

First night of boot camp when you get your head shaved, I was already bald so they put me in the chair and made the barber rake the clippers over my skull and brain matter, then I had to do push-ups while everyone else got their hair cut because they thought I was being a smart-### coming there bald. They didn't understand nor care that I started balding back in the 2nd grade LMAO. 

I tell people my lack of hair is due to the intense heat generated by the cerebral cortex. 

• Haha 2

So if you want to see creativity in head gear, let the designers design a show where head gear is a prop, meant to be discarded at some highly emotional point in the show, to advances the theme of the show..On second thought, with the fees the mm's are paying, they probably want to be seen as much as possible, so DISREGARD this post, as it has no legs to stand on...lol...peace

I totally agree with the OP.

I'm a dinosaur that can accept some DCI changes but I feel like with the shakos/aussies/helmets gone, we're watching a performance of individuals.

I realize seeing the marching members' emotions and expressions is part of the effect but then I thought that was what the changes to color guard were meant to allow. 

It also feels like a cheap way to boost general effect. A performer doesn't need to turn to the audience and make an awkward face to telegraph that I should acknowledge and cheer for the fact that they just played a really difficult passage. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, shostahoosier said:

It also feels like a cheap way to boost general effect. A performer doesn't need to turn to the audience and make an awkward face to telegraph that I should acknowledge and cheer for the fact that they just played a really difficult passage. 

I'll wink to that.

• Haha 2

For me, it all relates to the awesomeness of symmetry and unison which is what makes my jaw drop all the time. Diversity of appearance detracts from that enjoyment whether it be with hair styles, solo incongruent dancing out-of-step, scatter movements, jumping out-of-character to lean over and push props around, etc. Headgear was part of the glue along with the uniform to diminish the individual differences to present a cohesive vision. I even remember snarelines often being established by members height. There is no coincidence that Ralph and Tom marched together as center snares. Phrases like "The Green Machine" reference the ideal of creating "out of many, one". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Who determined lack of headwear is a failure?

The OP stated a preference, does that mean he/she is wrong? 

Edited by Sutasaurus