How often is the finals performance the BEST performance of a corps ?

I ask this because I've seen top tier corps, on finals night, produce shows that were arguably better on Thursday or Friday...Can a corps burn itself out just trying to make finals and be emotionally spent on Saturday? How many corps can you name that " Lost it" on Saturday after stellar performances earlier in the week?...peace

52 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

I ask this because I've seen top tier corps, on finals night, produce shows that were arguably better on Thursday or Friday...Can a corps burn itself out just trying to make finals and be emotionally spent on Saturday? How many corps can you name that " Lost it" on Saturday after stellar performances earlier in the week?...peace

Star 91 did not have a good finals run - Rondo said as much on the broadcast.  From where I was (side 2, lower deck, 30 yard line, top row) the consensus (myself & a bunch of Argonne alumni) was Cavaliers 1st, SCV 2nd, Phantom 3rd, and Star/Cadets/BD 4th-6th in some order.  That was when I realized DCI was rewarding the season, not the performance on the field. 

• Thanks 2

This is purely my opinion, but looking back to finals I’ve attended since 2012, I would say

2012: 6 best at semi’s, 6 best at finals. Notable semi’s performances Crossmen, Crown. Notable finals Bloo, BAC, Phantom

2013 Again 6 and 6, notable finals SCV, Crown, Bloo, Cadets, Madison. Interestingly, Madison friends thought semi’s was the better performance regarding cleanliness and brass, but finals was more emotional.

2016 3 for finals: Crown, Blue Stars, Academy. I can’t recall whether 8 of the 9 had stronger semi’s performances but BAC certainly did.

2017: I thought Blue Devils, SCV, Cavies, BAC, had very strong finals performance. Crown had a much better run in semi’s, 

2018: everyone seemed to have a strong finals performance.

2019: I thought Bloo, Cavies, BAC, all had strong finals performances, I thought BD was stronger at semi’s, the others about the same.

2022: without a DVD, I am only relying on memory. I’m also very biased, perhaps too much so. I wanted BAC to win, I wouldn’t have minded Bloo. I thought both were robbed. That being said, I thought Bloo had a phenomenal finals run and owned the audience, BAC was more emotional at semi’s but cleaner and precise at finals, though either could have won. Further down I thought Cadets, Mandarins, Colts, and Phantom all had tremendous runs at finals. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1988 - Madison dominated on Friday and almost got so sloppy Saturday that SCV upset them

2015 - Crown;  the solo mic, the visual issues and a general lack of the emotional impact that they had Thursday and Friday doomed them.

1983 - Cadets laid an egg on Friday and came out balls to the wall at Finals; one of the great performances in DCI history

1984 - Cadets/BD/SCV    WOW!!!!   Any other year all three of these were championship shows.  The legend of West Side Story exists though for a reason.

1983 - Sky Ryders did everything to get back into Finals, then just went flat as a pancake on Saturday night

1979 - Guardsmen - barely edged out Troopers and Crossmen for 11th in semis and then blew the doors off the place at Finals.  Went from 8th to 3rd in GE brass!

1987 - Phantom was a strong 3rd in prelims and fell off in everything except percussion at Finals to drop back to a distant 5th

• Like 1

Crown 2015 had a fantastic semifinal run compared to their final run, at least IMO. I wasn't anti-BD or anything that year, but I really loved that Crown show.  

I thought BD 98's quarterfinal run was the best of its 3 for finals week.    Same with SCV 98 and 99.  

2 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

1987 - Phantom was a strong 3rd in prelims and fell off in everything except percussion at Finals to drop back to a distant 5th

Was it the Brass and  Visual captions on Saturday night?