How often is the finals performance the BEST performance of a corps ?

6 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

. With a slightly less innovative show in visual and GE their outstanding brass line could have only done so much when their percussion was 7th in field and I think 9th overall.

Actually, Garfield was 9th on the field, 4th in ensemble.... overall they placed 7th in percussion...the lowest caption for a winning corps.

• Like 1

Another I just thought of is BD 98.  i remember watching them at rehearsals somewhere in Kissimme (i think?) over a couple of days before finals week. It would hit one run, but not so much another.  They had their best run (imo) at the end of their last practice before QF, and it was smoking.  But then it felt a little flat thu/fri/sat of finals weekend.  

1 hour ago, 84BDsop said:

Actually, Garfield was 9th on the field, 4th in ensemble.... overall they placed 7th in percussion...the lowest caption for a winning corps.

Sam, be honest... when y'all marched off the field did you think it was over?

22 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Drum corps people do hold grudges. 

I’m pretty sure that is the motto of DCI

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Sam, be honest... when y'all marched off the field did you think it was over?

I never did, because we'd been beaten by SCV for most of the season (SCV 10 to BD 4 after Whitewter finals), and we only beat Garfield once...Landsdale, PA...our last regular season show.

We knew it would be a fight....we knew that when we watched from the front stands during their Pt. Huron, MI clinic (the show itself was rained out while BK was on the field)

People were pegging us for 3rd after SCV won Whitewater (side note...the Wipeout did NOT cost Garfield that win.  SCV won it legit that night).

We KNEW we'd had a run for the ages after coming off the field....even an uber-rook like ME could feel it.  We went up by 1.1 from semis...Garfield only improved by .5 

But we also knew Garfield was ready and able to throw down. and they are the last World Class corps to successfully defend their first title...which they did for a reason.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Madison finished 1st in GE brass & percussion and Visual performance, 2nd in GE visual and performance brass & percussion at semis.  BD took brass performance and Cavies too visual GE.  Scouts had a 1.1 point lead on BD and 1.5 points on SCV.

Finals night, Madison took GE brass and visual performance, finished 2nd in GE perc & visual, but 3rd in performance brass & percussion.  SCV won GE perc & visual, BD won brass performance and Cadets won percussion performance.

Madison, BD, Cavies scores all went down at Finals and SCV and Cadets went up.  Vanguard went 5/4 in visual performance/GE at semis to 3/1 at finals.  How do you go from 4th in visual GE to 1st in one night?  Oh yeah... you make the phantom disappear as well as the entire hornline.

those percussion scores still confound me

9 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

I never did, because we'd been beaten by SCV for most of the season (SCV 10 to BD 4 after Whitewter finals), and we only beat Garfield once...Landsdale, PA...our last regular season show.

We knew it would be a fight....we knew that when we watched from the front stands during their Pt. Huron, MI clinic (the show itself was rained out while BK was on the field)

People were pegging us for 3rd after SCV won Whitewater (side note...the Wipeout did NOT cost Garfield that win.  SCV won it legit that night).

We KNEW we'd had a run for the ages after coming off the field....even an uber-rook like ME could feel it.  We went up by 1.1 from semis...Garfield only improved by .5 

But we also knew Garfield was ready and able to throw down. and they are the last World Class corps to successfully defend their first title...which they did for a reason.

I was at that Lansdale show.  How i wish they still had that show each year,

16 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I’m pretty sure that is the motto of DCI

And I think DCA wrote that motto before DCI was born!!! 😂

• Haha 4

On 4/11/2023 at 7:40 AM, waliman4444 said:

I ask this because I've seen top tier corps, on finals night, produce shows that were arguably better on Thursday or Friday...Can a corps burn itself out just trying to make finals and be emotionally spent on Saturday? How many corps can you name that " Lost it" on Saturday after stellar performances earlier in the week?...peace

Best example: Cadets 2000. 

On 4/13/2023 at 1:03 PM, Chief Guns said:

99 was a great year.

Ehhh...not for us, at least everything before Finals. 

Edited by 2000Cadet