Per the California Attorney General Vanguard is operating illegally as a non profit

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I wasn’t totally clear. Wasn’t saying corps should pony up the bucks when another corps has problems or does something stupid. Just seen too many posts (not yours) of basically saying “they disbanded because of stupidity so good riddance, we won’t miss them”. Also DCIs attitude of if a corps ain’t top 12 or on the board then it’s “who are you again, should we really care”. 🤮

Yep. 👆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I wasn’t totally clear. Wasn’t saying corps should pony up the bucks when another corps has problems or does something stupid. Just seen too many posts (not yours) of basically saying “they disbanded because of stupidity so good riddance, we won’t miss them”. Also DCIs attitude of if a corps ain’t top 12 or on the board then it’s “who are you again, should we really care”.. 🤮

The question really wasn't towards you, but just in general. I'm not saying good riddance, because I would hate to see them disband because of their own negligence. I'm just saying they should be the ones to dig themselves out of the hole they're currently in. We've lost many great corps over the years, even in my time of following since the late 90s, and no corps nor DCI stepped up to bail them out so what makes SCV the exception here? That's basically what I'm asking.

8 minutes ago, ZTWright said:

The question really wasn't towards you, but just in general. I'm not saying good riddance, because I would hate to see them disband because of their own negligence. I'm just saying they should be the ones to dig themselves out of the hole they're currently in. We've lost many great corps over the years, even in my time of following since the late 90s, and no corps nor DCI stepped up to bail them out so what makes SCV the exception here? That's basically what I'm asking.

Only thing I can say here would be that SCV was one of the reasons DCI was formed in the first place.  Gail and Jim Jones were two of the loudest voices for creating an organization to allow drum corps to go beyond the limitations of VFW and American Legion rules.  Kind of like the Original Six in hockey or the Bears in the NFL.  It's a bad look to see one of the foundations of your world go away because nobody seemed to care.

Now that I think about it... if an owner screws up a team so badly that it's borderline not viable anymore (Dan Snyder anyone?  🙄)  the other owners can force them out and make the team be sold.  NP's are a different thing entirely, but the concept of "force them to give control to someone else" would very much be in play here if it were possible.

8 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Only thing I can say here would be that SCV was one of the reasons DCI was formed in the first place.  Gail and Jim Jones were two of the loudest voices for creating an organization to allow drum corps to go beyond the limitations of VFW and American Legion rules.  Kind of like the Original Six in hockey or the Bears in the NFL.  It's a bad look to see one of the foundations of your world go away because nobody seemed to care.

Now that I think about it... if an owner screws up a team so badly that it's borderline not viable anymore (Dan Snyder anyone?  🙄)  the other owners can force them out and make the team be sold.  NP's are a different thing entirely, but the concept of "force them to give control to someone else" would very much be in play here if it were possible.

you'd have to find someone dumb...i mean crazy enough to take over a non-profit with a mountain of debt and a board sitting on its hands.   People buy sports teams because they make money, drum corps is more like a boat.  Its a black hole you throw money into hoping you get enjoyment from it. 

heck. finding new ED's to take over non-profits without mounds of debt and good boards is hard.  because non profit arts is hard.   

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ZTWright said:

Depends on what you mean by bail out.  I can recount a fair number of examples of corps banding together to keep a peer on the road during the tour so they didn't have to fold early.  

The lack of a strong central support organization hurts all but the strongest corps, and funny enough, they're the ones that structured it that way.   

Mike

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Depends on what you mean by bail out.  I can recount a fair number of examples of corps banding together to keep a peer on the road during the tour so they didn't have to fold early.  

The lack of a strong central support organization hurts all but the strongest corps, and funny enough, they're the ones that structured it that way.   

Mike

They want six or seven “supercorps”.  That was their intention way back. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, C.Holland said:

you'd have to find someone dumb...i mean crazy enough to take over a non-profit with a mountain of debt and a board sitting on its hands.   

Not to mention the legalities and paperwork cluster going on between SCV and CA. And that’s just the mess that’s surfaced here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

heck. finding new ED's to take over non-profits without mounds of debt and good boards is hard. 

VMAPA claimed yesterday in a closed alum Fb group that they plan to be out of debt early, by the end of this month.

Totally agree with the essence of your statement though.

I still strongly believe that VMAPA should reopen all positions to the public for application. And bring in an outside recruiter to oversee the process. Prevent any further JSS potentials. That's how SoA found their current CEO...I know bc I originally applied.

because non profit arts is hard. 

💯

I'm only just now realizing how few people understand this.

Burnout in the sector is a serious problem. It's why I left.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

It's Cali... I give them a year to follow up on anything.   🙄

Oh tish tosh, I'm so over the California bashing...

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, LabMaster said:

As has been said many many times here, DCI didn’t put any local circuits out of business.  Local sponsorships did most of the damage and poor management did its part.  If “DCI“ had a part, it would be DCI the member corps, more than DCI the org.  There is a difference between the two.

I know that as far as DCM goes, there were specific directors who helped kill that and push the Midwest towards DCI tours... I know The Cavaliers director at the time was done with DCM and pushing DCI-only full tours. I don't know why, but I heard it and saw it mentioned a bunch when it was happening.

• Thanks 1