The Coronation

14 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Who doesn't love a set of timpani on a horse using marching bass drum mallets?

The Troopers played on oil barrels. Why not timps on horseback? 

• Haha 1

I always that 32nd Hussars could have used horses on the field. I can just see the percussion judge sliding and falling from an equine deposit.

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

Who doesn't love a set of timpani on a horse using marching bass drum mallets?

I've seen these cats up close and personal and they are bada$$. Their musicianship is amazing.

They were formed a couple of hundred years ago, as the king's portable boom-box. The French and British have always "competed" with each other for marching band bragging rights, with Napoleon upping the ante by importing Turkish musicians, cymbals, and the "jingling johnny", carried by a drum major in a tall shako with orstrich feathers.

"Fie!", said the Brits, "We'll put our chaps on HORSES, and go on first. They can follow us down the street."

• Haha 3

I wonder if any of the corps teams are mulling a "classical British" show theme for the near future now.  I'm thinking on terms of Crown Imperial and such another Beatles or British Invasion show.  

3 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

I wonder if any of the corps teams are mulling a "classical British" show theme for the near future now.  I'm thinking on terms of Crown Imperial and such another Beatles or British Invasion show.  

Well, if Pioneer was still around; Roman would put a 100% Irish spin on it. :doh::rolleyes:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ironlips said:

I've seen these cats up close and personal and they are bada$$. Their musicianship is amazing.

They were formed a couple of hundred years ago, as the king's portable boom-box. The French and British have always "competed" with each other for marching band bragging rights, with Napoleon upping the ante by importing Turkish musicians, cymbals, and the "jingling johnny", carried by a drum major in a tall shako with orstrich feathers.

"Fie!", said the Brits, "We'll put our chaps on HORSES, and go on first. They can follow us down the street."

I'm sure they ran the weight ratios for those horses?  I think a horse can carry about 20% of their weight?  Those timpani 'ain't lite'.  😁 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

6 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I’ve seen brass bands on flatbed trucks in parades.

‘merica.   We take an idea and perfect it.  😎

In a parade and one of the Shriners bands went by on a flatbed. They used to march but Father Time got to ‘em.

Corps member next to me chuckled and said “kitties” (ok he didn’t say that word but you get the idea). I had to laugh because the “kitties” guy plays sop, was pushing 80… and did the parade

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, MikeD said:

That was a ‘norm’ in the distant past. The Turks especially used mounted musicians including drums.

Looks kind of rough on the tuba players.  Trombones don’t have an easy time of it with either.   Ouch on the lips.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Google: “1989 Star of Indiana”.  It was a British themed show with works by Doyle, Holst and Walton, whose Crown Imperial was the closer.  Still a very memorable show.  

• Like 2