48 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Not drum corps related, but back in 1999 I was stationed aboard the USS Germantown (LSD-42) in Sasebo Japan. 

My ship went on a three-month CARAT (Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training) Cruise which took us all over Southeast Asia. 

We were in Pattaya Beach Thailand, and me and some of my Sailor/Marine buddies decided to go paintballing one afternoon. We were in the Thai Jungle (Literally) at this amazing paintball course, and I got stung on the shoulder by an Asian Giant Hornet. 

I remember the severe pain of the sting, having difficulty breathing. Next thing I knew I was in a hospital bed. I was told I had lost consciousness, my blood pressure dropped, and I was airlifted to a hospital in Bangkok two hours away. Spent nine days in the hospital before I was released, to catch up with my ship which was now in Kota Kinabalu Malaysia. 

At the time I knew nothing about the Asian Giant Hornet, and I quickly learned they are the deadliest Hornet in the world responsible for hundreds of deaths every year all over Asia.

Needless to say I was VERY VERY lucky. 

WOW!

1 hour ago, Kopeck said:

And in Horicon, Wisconsin.

Those are not mosquitos in Horicon. They are small blood-sucking birds.

I remember our #3 bass in 1986 telling us that a bug flew in his mouth during a show, so he just ate it and kept going. We were simultaneously disgusted and impressed!

• Haha 5

American Legion nationals in New Orleans 1978. Anyone on first floor of the motel we stayed at had water bugs. Best overheard conversations “we caught one and threw it in the toilet. Little …. wouldn’t flush, just held on”. And “very friendly… one was on the tv and think it was trying to turn it on for us”.

Before we left some people took all their clothes to the parking lot. Shook everything out one by one before putting it into the suitcase

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Not drum corps related, but back in 1999 I was stationed aboard the USS Germantown (LSD-42) in Sasebo Japan. 

My ship went on a three-month CARAT (Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training) Cruise which took us all over Southeast Asia. 

We were in Pattaya Beach Thailand, and me and some of my Sailor/Marine buddies decided to go paintballing one afternoon. We were in the Thai Jungle (Literally) at this amazing paintball course, and I got stung on the shoulder by an Asian Giant Hornet. 

I remember the severe pain of the sting, having difficulty breathing. Next thing I knew I was in a hospital bed. I was told I had lost consciousness, my blood pressure dropped, and I was airlifted to a hospital in Bangkok two hours away. Spent nine days in the hospital before I was released, to catch up with my ship which was now in Kota Kinabalu Malaysia. 

At the time I knew nothing about the Asian Giant Hornet, and I quickly learned they are the deadliest Hornet in the world responsible for hundreds of deaths every year all over Asia.

Needless to say I was VERY VERY lucky. 

I’ve heard stories about Pattaya.  

DCI Midwest in Whitewater in the '70s and '80s always seemed to coincide with the National Mosquito Festival.

Both events held their respective Finals the same evening at Warhawk Stadium. Seeing the enormous size of these insects, some performers would freak out, fearing Malaria.To calm them we referred to the bugs as harmless 'biting hummingbirds' that had escaped from the Zoology Lab. Then we soaked the kids in Deet.

• Haha 2

“Off” spray was just another drum corps summer smell…..along with freshly mowed contest fields and diesel fumes.

21 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I’ve heard stories about Pattaya.  

You..............have..............no.............idea.

If I say anything further, we will have to douse DCP in holy water with a fire hose.

I will leave it at that. 

• Haha 4