We were in Pell City, Alabama for DCI Birmingham and when we came back to the gym from rehearsal, the lights went on and hundreds of HUGE cockroaches went stampeding.  Many went into sleeping bags that had been laid out.  Lots of people ran outside then…. Bats, hundreds of bats.  What a night.

5 hours ago, wolfgang said:

A news story mentioned TaylorSwift accidently swallowed a bug during a recent Chicago concert.

With this as the inspiration, what drum corps-related bug stories can you share?

Not a drum corps story, but the bugs in the Texas panhandle are at a different level. They are pure bug giants.

1 hour ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Not a drum corps story, but the bugs in the Texas panhandle are at a different level. They are pure bug giants.

If you know any military personnel out there in Texas that have been stationed in Japan, ask them about Japanese bugs/insects. 

I remember seeing an insect so big in Japan, he wasn't flying, HE WAS FREAKING HOVERING!! Lol. 

And don't get me started on Djibouti Africa. It's pretty terrifying to get stung/bit by something that we don't even have a name for back in the states. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ironlips said:

DCI Midwest in Whitewater in the '70s and '80s always seemed to coincide with the National Mosquito Festival.

Both events held their respective Finals the same evening at Warhawk Stadium. Seeing the enormous size of these insects, some performers would freak out, fearing Malaria.To calm them we referred to the bugs as harmless 'biting hummingbirds' that had escaped from the Zoology Lab. Then we soaked the kids in Deet.

I got bit/stung by a mystery bug on my neck at full retreat in 1993, in Oklahoma City. Part of my face along with my lips went numb and swelled up in a short amount of time. I was able to get our horn sergeant's attention and he just laughed when he saw my face. I must've looked like the Elephant Man. Fortunately there was no victory concert after that show, so I was able to get some Benadryl and an ice pack on our drive to Texarkana. Good times.

On 6/6/2023 at 9:03 AM, wolfgang said:

A news story mentioned TaylorSwift accidently swallowed a bug during a recent Chicago concert.

With this as the inspiration, what drum corps-related bug stories can you share?

Interesting....she's probably write a song about that.

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

Interesting....she's probably write a song about that.

and somehow, she'll blame the bug for breaking her heart.    :laughing:

• Haha 2

On 6/6/2023 at 12:51 PM, LabMaster said:

I hear you can get a few mosquitos in Whitewater.

Having grown up in SE Wisconsin and attended UW-Whitewater, I can confirm this, as so many others can do.  Hence, I will be carrying my full allotment of bug spray when I go back to the Midwest for the Cavaliers 75th Gala and Cavalcade over the 4th of July weekend.

I remember support staff fogging the rehearsal field multiple times before and during rehearsals back in the 80s.

Do I need to even mention bug juice?

I can also speak to the bugs in Albany, GA when the Commandants Own performed on base.  Surprising, Avon Skin-So-Soft was a popular item for my fellow Marines when we were there. This was the best insect repellent we found for both Albany and MCRD at Parris Island.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

I’m saddened and disappointed that Port Clinton, OH in 1996 and the mayflies has not been mentioned yet.

Nor has the infestation of the field in La Cross, WI. Legendary bug infestation. The starting line was squishy so you can imagine what insects were present. There were literally clouds of flying critters around the stadium lights.

Edited by Sutasaurus