On 6/6/2023 at 2:10 PM, Chief Guns said:

Not drum corps related, but back in 1999 I was stationed aboard the USS Germantown (LSD-42) in Sasebo Japan. 

My ship went on a three-month CARAT (Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training) Cruise which took us all over Southeast Asia. 

We were in Pattaya Beach Thailand, and me and some of my Sailor/Marine buddies decided to go paintballing one afternoon. We were in the Thai Jungle (Literally) at this amazing paintball course, and I got stung on the shoulder by an Asian Giant Hornet. 

I remember the severe pain of the sting, having difficulty breathing. Next thing I knew I was in a hospital bed. I was told I had lost consciousness, my blood pressure dropped, and I was airlifted to a hospital in Bangkok two hours away. Spent nine days in the hospital before I was released, to catch up with my ship which was now in Kota Kinabalu Malaysia. 

At the time I knew nothing about the Asian Giant Hornet, and I quickly learned they are the deadliest Hornet in the world responsible for hundreds of deaths every year all over Asia.

Needless to say I was VERY VERY lucky. 

Aaannnndddd mental note. Asian Giant Hornet = NOPE

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 1:50 PM, Sutasaurus said:

“Off” spray was just another drum corps summer smell…..along with freshly mowed contest fields and diesel fumes.

One of our sops in 84 doused himself with the stuff at one rehearsal, but it seemed to act more like an attractant, because they ate him alive.

He was Canadian....I suppose the bugs thought the Off was a sesoning for all that Canadian bacon....

• Haha 4

On 6/9/2023 at 9:10 PM, Sutasaurus said:

Nor has the infestation of the field in La Cross, WI. Legendary bug infestation. The starting line was squishy so you can imagine what insects were present. There were literally clouds of flying critters around the stadium lights.

Ummm, gross.

I was in Minnesota many years ago (traveling with the Glenn Miller Orchestra) and I found a post card that said Minnesota State Bird and then had a large photo of a Mosquito. 🙂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

I was in Minnesota many years ago (traveling with the Glenn Miller Orchestra) and I found a post card that said Minnesota State Bird and then had a large photo of a Mosquito. 🙂

It’s true!

12 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Ahhh love me some Glenn Miller

• Like 1

Literally any year at the US Open walking off the field a pint of blood low.

Clearwater and then down into Orlando. Palmetto Bugs and Bananna Spiders. 

Late July... 90's and 95% humidity... watching a fog of sweat bees just descend on the field and no one is supposed to wave or swat at them.  Civil disobedience of the highest order!

On 6/19/2023 at 8:35 AM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Clearwater and then down into Orlando. Palmetto Bugs and Bananna Spiders. 

Hopefully those spiders are not the real venomous ones. I know there is a spider called the Brazilian Wandering Spider that sometimes gets referred to as a Banana spider. Some do end up in this country via the Banana trade. Either way I hate spiders. 🙂

Edited by jwillis35