2023 Scores Question

4 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

In theory, a longer spring training should equate to complete and cleaner. Doesn't mean it will. You can have a 6 weeks spring training and still come out and bomb it. Makes no difference. Or you could have serious design flaws that you just spent 6 weeks cleaning and because no one adjudicated it the entire time, you had no idea your baby was ugly. 

See Cadets 2016

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

See Cadets 2016

Could have been, and honestly mostly was, great. The 3 levels of depth involved in the storyline was great. I just don’t think it was communicated well enough.

16 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Also, with a season this short, I wonder if including a placeholder ending, to be replaced by the real ending a certain weeks before DCI finals makes sense.  Put the real ending in from get-go rather than fiddling around with something you know you’re going to cut.  

No - there may be more fiddling instead.  Corps are doing fewer shows-per-week during the season, so that gives them more time to mess with design changes.

18 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Rank then score

Opps.

This is exactly what Lindsey Vento let slip during   last year's "Tour Premiere " Broadcast.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

Opps.

This is exactly what Lindsey Vento let slip during   last year's "Tour Premiere " Broadcast.

This is what every judge in WGI tells you when trying to explain why local shows have higher scores and tank when more groups are together. You will always see the bottom groups drop or small increase compared to top groups because there is more room for comparison. Most reclassed wgi groups saw 10 point drops from last circuit score to prelims. That was the explanation I was given on why

In reality, the top tier corps should start the season well into the 80s. DCI judging is stupid, quite frankly, and the numbers mean nothing other than to put he corps in order. A 1st show Blue Devils is better than and would still beat corps a corps that scores in the low 80s come finals week. The numbers assigned in each caption should actually be quantified but they aren't. It's all rather pointless actually. And, with the subjectivity of judging I've come to believe this activity isn't actually even capable of being judged. Achievement, perhaps, but nothing else.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DudleytheWest said:

In reality, the top tier corps should start the season well into the 80s. DCI judging is stupid, quite frankly, and the numbers mean nothing other than to put he corps in order. A 1st show Blue Devils is better than and would still beat corps a corps that scores in the low 80s come finals week. The numbers assigned in each caption should actually be quantified but they aren't. It's all rather pointless actually. And, with the subjectivity of judging I've come to believe this activity isn't actually even capable of being judged. Achievement, perhaps, but nothing else.

The point of the competition is the drive to excel, the attempt to exceed even your most optimistic expectations.  Watching young people do things they have no business to be even attempting can be life changing for the members and rewarding for the teachers and entertaining for the rest of us.   (And this is ignoring all the other life lessons drum corps imparts to it's participants which have been listed here many times).  Anyone who takes the numbers seriously needs to get some perspective about what the activity TRULY is about.  The sheets and the criteria are educational in and of themselves but writing down numbers for band is truly a futile exercise.  BUT....competition and the numbers permit a bunch of OTHER benefits to materialize so everyone pretends they are real.  Just don't forget we're all pretending.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, karuna said:

Watching young people do things they have no business to be even attempting   

I' m not trying to be facetious, but what exactly does this mean ?

For brass and percussion you're talking about young men and women in their late teens to early 20's playing a musical instrument while marching.

Guard is performing drill and gymnastics.

The pit is just playing.

Difficult, in many cases yes.

Does it require talent, skill  and determination.

I just think that " Watching . . .  " sounds  a  bit "over the top" 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I' m not trying to be facetious, but what exactly does this mean ?

For brass and percussion you're talking about young men and women in their late teens to early 20's playing a musical instrument while marching.

Guard is performing drill and gymnastics.

The pit is just playing.

Difficult, in many cases yes.

Does it require talent, skill  and determination.

I just think that " Watching . . .  " sounds  a  bit "over the top" 

backspaced my reply about 20 times so NVM.  

Honestly, I'd rather the judges just award straight up ordinals, and rigidly enforce the captions to avoid Caption Bleed.  Right now, everything is driven by visual design and visual performance, including music captions.  And (echoing others) trying to tell us that X corps is 0.02 better than Y corps in percussion performance is stupid beyond belief.  

Mike

• Thanks 1