Top 12 Predictions 2023 (No off topic discussion, please!)

1 hour ago, TOC said:

Since BD supposedly haven't had their final ending on the field yet, they are still undefeated. Some of the corps chasing them have already shown their ending or at least some of it, and still are behind.  BD might sit on a new ending until Saturday.

That's certainly in line with historical BD final pushes, which is why they often prevail.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 90svet said:

That's certainly in line with historical BD final pushes, which is why they often prevail.

But I like their current ending

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TOC said:

I'm guessing it will be real tight Friday night.  Then interest in Saturday night will be off the charts.

I hope so. We had BD .05 ahead of Crown and Bluecoats, which is great, but when all four get in the mix I just don't know what that's going to mean. 

8 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

But I like their current ending

Me too. Maybe it's just cleaning and tweaking, i think. I don't expect a full out ending change again, would more expect maybe additional details of something if they decided to. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Vuitton said:

I hope so. We had BD .05 ahead of Crown and Bluecoats, which is great, but when all four get in the mix I just don't know what that's going to mean. 

And, we had Boston only .3 behind BD...

• Like 1

So I was gonna try to put together my own list here, when it occurred to me that this has never happened to this extent with 4 corps all within reach of the title (at least in my 30 years around the activity)...so as I started trying to project how the top 4 would shake out, I thought of the great Ted Lasso (paraphrasing):

"Now regarding this (finals week)...yeah, I don't know what's gonna happen.  You know what I mean?  No one does.  It'd be a lot less fun if we did.  You know?"

So I thought of a different aspect of this...one of these 4 corps is going to be, arguably, the greatest 4th place show of all time.  It's debatable, of course (as all things marching arts related are).  But it led me to do a quick deep dive into the pantheon of great 4th place shows.  It's not really fair to look at numbers - and that being said we don't know how the numbers will shake out by Saturday night anyway - but these are the ones to me that have stood the test of time.  Keep in mind, none of these shows were real title contenders by Finals week...but ####, they're some amazing shows.  Starting with...

• 2013 SCV - The GOAT!!!  (Sorry, I don't post here much, but when I do it's often to express my love for this show)  And FWIW, it is technically the highest scoring 4th place show ever (96.85, barely missing out on 3rd).
  • 2008 Crown - a virtual tie for that current highest scoring 4th place show with a 96.8
  • 1999 Cadets - Massively underrated show (also scored in the 96s)
  • 1998 Cavies - the beginning of their ascent to the mountaintop, this is the only other of the 4th placers above a 96

So those are statistically the best 4th place shows ever.  I would submit these shows are more than worthy submissions on a "greatest of" list as well:

• 1995 Scouts - I mean, c'mon.  No brainer.  They were actually the 2nd show I thought of after 2013 SCV when making this list came to mind.
  • 1992 BD - these guys don't show up in 4th place much, but they had several in this stretch that all could be on this list (89, 90) but this one has such a lasting impact that it stands out the most to me.
  • 1991 SCV - Made me fall in love with the activity.
  • 1988 Cadets - Criminally underrated show.  Probably (guessing here) a bit of Garfield fatigue at the time, especially on the heels of the Copland masterpiece in 87.

I'm sure there's others further back that I'm omitting, but that's as far back as my own fandom takes me really.  And there are other years where the top 3 was an absolutely furious battle (84, 92, 97, 15 come to mind) but then a bit of a drop off to 4th.  So if there's others I'm missing - or others you just love - please feel free to add to it.

Regardless, I don't think it's a stretch to say that whichever "unlucky" corps finds itself in 4th on Saturday night is actually going to be making a bit of history in their own right.  It's going to be 3 of the most fascinating nights of DCI competition I've ever witnessed.

Edited by bkbass98
Forgot one
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Vuitton said:

I agree. I don’t think any of the top 4 have gone as far as they can go. All have great shows this year. It’s going to be interesting to see Thursday if they all really are within 0.5 of each other. That would be wild.

Yeah I agree. They all have little issues and dirt that I’m so excited to get cleared up over the course of the week. Their baseline consistency is good — that’s why their scores are rising — but each still has a few dependably flawed moments to iron out, whether it’s drill that’s never been nailed or a flag/brass/battery phrase that’s never been clean in competition yet.

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 3