Top 12 Predictions 2023 (No off topic discussion, please!)

1 hour ago, phan1738 said:

8. Blue Stars - Is anyone actually excited to see them? Hard to go on the up and ups without a passionate fan base. Seem to have taken a step down from last season. 

Hard truth and reality. I enjoy their show; unfortunately, it's just not "it" enough to take that next step up to 6th or 5th. Once again, they find themselves just treading water in the middle of the Top 12. They still haven't fully figured out the GE caption along with proper editing of a show. I also know that they are typically an August corps; but if they want to take that next jump up in the ranks, they need to come out with a more refined show out of the gates that will sustain for the long haul and will be easier to clean. On a positive note, the Blue Stars are masters at using the entire field; something that has kind of gone away with modern drill design. Kevin Ford writes amazing drill for the corps.
Hopefully, one of these years they will be a Top 5 corps, again. I would be very happy to see the Blue Stars place 5th and if that's their peak in the Top 12 I would be quite satisfied. 
...on a final note, at least they are still in the Top 12 and are not in any immediate danger of falling out any time soon. 

Edited by corps8294
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Regardless of who’s in at 11 or 12 -  they’re going to be of the weakest finalists we’ve ever had - comparatively speaking. 

I think that whoever finishes 12th in 2023 is probably a more talented Corps than the 1972 Bleu Raeders or 1973 Commodores. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

BTW - Here’s DCI’s first 12 place finisher in 1972:

1.  Thank you for posting this

2.  Can you imagine what a 1972 Corps could do with 2023 talent?  I realize that the talent of the strongest players in any given Corps/section hasn’t changed, but the talent of the weakest players in 2023 is way higher than weakest players in 1972.  
3.   Arrangement of ‘Walk him up the stairs’ remarkably similar to 1978 SoA.  
4. I think Marty Hurley, later of PR & DCI HoF member was their percussion instructor 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
Further useless facts

32 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I think that whoever finishes 12th in 2023 is probably a more talented Corps than the 1972 Bleu Raeders or 1973 Commodores. 

I think if you talk to a 1978 Garfield Cadet or a Boston Crusader, they’ll say Kilties of 78. A Freelancer may agree, but that year everyone seemed to have Garfield or BAC as a finalist. I knew a few BAC folks that it took a long time before they wore plaid or sang “Auld Lang Syne” on New Year’s Eve.🙂

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I think Marty Hurley, later of PR & DCI HoF member was their percussion instructor 

I met Marty Hurley years ago. I wasn’t a drummer at the time but he inspired me to become one. The very next day after witnessing his guest instruction, I ran out to the music store, bought myself a Gladstone Drum Pad with 3s sticks, and the rest, as they say, is history. 

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 2

On 7/8/2023 at 11:26 AM, drumcorpsfever said:

Regardless of who’s in at 11 or 12 -  they’re going to be of the weakest finalists we’ve ever had - comparatively speaking. 

You've not lived through the history of DCI.

BK 1996 already holding your beer.

• Like 4