Define General Effect

General Effect IMO is not just about technique or precision...it's about touching hearts and awakening emotions...It's about that unexplainable feeling when the performers become one with their show...igniting a spark in our hearts that transcends words...It's the intangible essence that sets the great apart from the extraordinary... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Sensioto said:

General Effect is the only category of adjudication that is not based upon technical or tangible performance mechanisms. I agree with all of the above responses, and will add that it is, quite literally, the effect of the show in a general sense. It includes the entire production, not just the highs and lows, but transitions too, and how the corps command the field.

From this DCI write-up: "The GE judges are doing the romantic job, they’re feeling what the show is offering and responding to what the show is. There are three parts to GE, the intellectual, the aesthetic, and the emotional." More here: https://www.dci.org/news/adjudication-101-who-judges-what

Agree. The following clip comes form that link you provided. This mostly gives a good account of GE. 

Responsibilities: One of the GE judges has a music background and the other has a visual background, but each utilizes the same judging sheet because they are effectively judging the entire show, not just the effect of the music offering or the effect of the visual production. GE judges must be the most experienced, most knowledgeable, and most flexible members of the audience. Plus, they know how to manage numbers in order to give a proper score. The GE judges are doing the romantic job, they’re feeling what the show is offering and responding to what the show is. There are three parts to GE, the intellectual, the aesthetic, and the emotional.

14 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Alright I always see the arm chair QB saying XYZ is better than ABC in General Effect.

So since everyone here knows everything define General Effect in your own words.

GE measures how impactful your show is. Whereas Music/Visual Analysis scores HOW WELL you are doing what you're doing, GE focuses more (but not exclusively) on WHAT you are doing, or at least what your intentions are, and how well your intentions of the entire package are coming across to the audience/judges,.  

• Are there impactful or exciting moments in your show?
  • What makes them impactful?
  • How well spaced out and paced are these moments?
  • Is the music or visual contributing to how impactful these moments are, and are they working together to achieve it?
  • Do the moments in between impactful moments, set up these moments appropriately (ie does the total form make sense)?
  • Are the members executing your intentions well, and if not, how does their failure to do so affect how well the intentions are communicated? 

If you have a very cool package, but it's being executed poorly, then that poor execution has a negative impact on how effective your package is. So while GE aren't scoring cleanliness per se, there are scoring how the level of cleanliness affects the communication of the package. 

14 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Nah I've listened to plenty of tapes. This is a spot for all the people telling the judges that they are wrong and how their corps has so much. 

Also your attitude is unwarranted. GE is pretty subjective, and dependent on what a particular judge is looking/listening for. Some are really into seeing simultaneous demand, some really want high execution, some reward expressivity, etc. Technically ALL of these things (and more obviously) are in the purview of the GE judge, but how they weight each category might be different. 

For instance, I'm of the opinion that a lot of judges WAY OVER REWARD execution in their calculations. There are several years where other shows were more interesting, effective, impactful, creative, etc. but BD executed their show better and won. In my opinion, the judges got it wrong, but it's subjective.  

Edited by MarimbaManiac

9 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

GE measures how impactful your show is. Whereas Music/Visual Analysis scores HOW WELL you are doing what you're doing, GE focuses more (but not exclusively) on WHAT you are doing, or at least what your intentions are, and how well your intentions of the entire package are coming across to the audience/judges,.  

• Are there impactful or exciting moments in your show?
  • What makes them impactful?
  • How well spaced out and paced are these moments?
  • Is the music or visual contributing to how impactful these moments are, and are they working together to achieve it?
  • Do the moments in between impactful moments, set up these moments appropriately (ie does the total form make sense)?
  • Are the members executing your intentions well, and if not, how does their failure to do so affect how well the intentions are communicated? 

If you have a very cool package, but it's being executed poorly, then that poor execution has a negative impact on how effective your package is. So while GE aren't scoring cleanliness per se, there are scoring how the level of cleanliness affects the communication of the package. 

Also your attitude is unwarranted. GE is pretty subjective, and dependent on what a particular judge is looking/listening for. Some are really into seeing simultaneous demand, some really want high execution, some reward expressivity, etc. Technically ALL of these things (and more obviously) are in the purview of the GE judge, but how they weight each category might be different. 

For instance, I'm of the opinion that a lot of judges WAY OVER REWARD execution in their calculations. There are several years where other shows were more interesting, effective, impactful, creative, etc. but BD executed their show better and won. In my opinion, the judges got it wrong, but it's subjective.  

Not sure why you need to put it towards me. The whole point of this is for arm chair usernames to define what they think GE is. Every night people say "their GE" but never say what GE is so here is the time and place for each person to back up what GE means. There is no right or wrong answer since it's a user opinion but the accuracy of what they believe vs what is judged is out there. Someone told me to go listen to tapes like I don't know and I said I've listened to plenty. I can form my own opinion of what GE is but I never use that as an argument of scores because to me GE is the most subjective caption.  You can double panel and see very different numbers judging the same thing in the same spot. Same reason one person can like a show here and gate what everyone loves. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

General Effect.

BD should do a show on all the possible meanings of General Effect ala Tempus Blue