Stanford & Son (DCI West, July 9, 2023)

As my screen name would imply, I'm very much a visual guy.  This Blue Devil's show is pure eye candy for me!

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

I don't know how anyone can dislike this Blue Devils show. It's got so many great moments, and this is the ballad of the year for me for sure.

My wife hates it cause she hates jazz! 🙂  But I think its amazing and I like it more every time I see it.  Calling it now that this show breaks 99 and maybe sets the new record.  It's that darn good this early in the season.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, WarriorWay said:

So I really understand nothing about this show or the theme, but as my first read of it this season they can definitely hang musically with PR and Cadets, but visual is dirtier. 

In the beginning the corps feels really small when the two half’s are separated in the two uniforms. Maybe different in person 

If you go to DCI.org, there is a article about the 2023 Mandarins show "Sinnerman"

It breaks down the entire show, from the uniform change, to how the seven props represent each of the seven deadly sins etc. 

Hope that helps. 

• Like 2

Mandarins... just wow! Just so many cool moments throughout the entire show. In my top 3 favorite for the season.

Seeing BD live again tonight, I agree with others... Flo doesn't do it any justice. I don't see anyone beating them this season.

• Like 9

Not a BD homer. I can count on one hand (without using all five fingers) the number of BD shows I've enjoyed since the turn of the century. This show feels like it's two minutes away from being a masterpiece. They've finally gotten me on board, and I find myself excited to watch every chance I get. I just hope they can find a way to get the last ~2 minutes of the show (starting at the Tuba feature) to connect with the first ~10 minutes in some meaningful way.

• Like 6