San Antonio - Draw for Order of Appearance

2 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Last San Antonio I got to watch was 2019.  I’ve been…….busy since then 🙂

Looking forward to watching comfy at home this year and hopefully back on the road next summer 🫡 

I missed San Antonio in 2019 because I had to go to the ER right before the show. (Like, a couple of hours.) Last year, I was able to see the show but had to go to the ER Sunday morning. I’m reaaally hoping to end that particular streak this year. (Seriously, WTH?) This will also be the first Denton show I’ve been to.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Grandpa Joe said:

I see the snarky a-holes are out in full force today. 

I was at a Phillies game that started 3 hours late due to rain and then went 12 innings. Sorry I’m late

Just now, Grandpa Joe said:

Good to see you can at least admit it.

Hey we won, I was seen on the telecast and the Phanatic was 15 feet away from me. I’m good with it

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vuitton said:

What do you mean? Do you think that's going to hurt Crown's chances? The judges better be capable of placing Crown 2nd or 3rd, if they are the 2nd or 3rd best, even if they perform first. 

9 hours ago, BWise said:

No

I think hurt BAC if Crown is right before them. Ppl say order of appearance doesn’t matter .. I disagree. Otherwise why not make every show random. ?

So we are taught to judge the show regardless of performance order. All things regarding the philosophy, descriptors, point scale is designed to be applied to each performance individually. In the one local circuit I judge in, they rotate the class order performance ever show and we actually ignore class rating and judge the show top to bottom as if it’s one whole contest, we let the computer pop out the classes. That being said, your best band might be first on the certain evening their class performance first. Or it may be in the middle of the pack. It’s about applying the criteria and getting a number. 

Personally, I think, even if it’s just for one off shows that aren’t regionals, DCI scheduling should be completely random. Make BD go on first some night. Let PC go on last. And on regionals, expand the groups to 4, 5, or 6. It should be more randomized. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

So we are taught to judge the show regardless of performance order. All things regarding the philosophy, descriptors, point scale is designed to be applied to each performance individually. In the one local circuit I judge in, they rotate the class order performance ever show and we actually ignore class rating and judge the show top to bottom as if it’s one whole contest, we let the computer pop out the classes. That being said, your best band might be first on the certain evening their class performance first. Or it may be in the middle of the pack. It’s about applying the criteria and getting a number. 

Personally, I think, even if it’s just for one off shows that aren’t regionals, DCI scheduling should be completely random. Make BD go on first some night. Let PC go on last. And on regionals, expand the groups to 4, 5, or 6. It should be more randomized. 

And by randomizing the order, what does that do? Like what's the intended purpose or the end goal if there is one?

38 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

And by randomizing the order, what does that do? Like what's the intended purpose or the end goal if there is one?

Creates opportunities for corps to go on later. Like mentioned earlier, BD consistently gets the most rehearsal time because they always go on later.

The theory behind the one local circuit I mentioned was so that every band got a chance to perform “under the lights”.

It would also create an appearance of more fairness in the activity. If BD is going on 4th to last and wins you can’t really say judges are just “slotting” or going based off performance order.  

Edited by TheOneWhoKnows
  • Like 3