Battle At The Alamo(dome) - July 22,2023

Blue Devils. Stunning! The music is so good. It's definitely a fun and demanding musical book. Brass and percussion were on fire. Plenty of cleaning to do for BD, but the level of detail and excellence they have in upper and lower body control and timing is truly wonderful to watch. 

The way they can extend and push a phrase to perfection is only matched by Crown. The range asked of the performers, the level of articulations, key signature and meter changes, and style changes in the music book are really not matched by anyone...though Crown, Boston, and Bluecoats all do well here. 

Thought their guard was incredible and doing some amazing things. Very demanding book. Visually this show is wonderful. As this continues to clean, and with such a wonderful music book, the GE should be something special. Way to go, BD!

• Like 8

They should have that group from Taipei again while we wait for scores 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, crownisking said:

Agreed. But fans are way more polite today than they used to be. Cadets were openly bood in 2006-2008. It was ugly.

I wasn’t there love for 06-08, but I can say that the amount of booing at 2015 was sad.

• Like 1

I have revised my top 4 based on tonight's performances on FLO.

1. BD 92.0

2. BAC 91.5

3. Crown 90.5

4. Bluecoats 89.9. (Due to a nearly complete lack of visual design)

Just now, Zeke said:

Hopefully  Troopers  DM is en route..NOW

In 1991 at the Parma, Ohio show, Troopers DM was doing their thing as the drum majors came front and center for scores. Somebody yelled out "MOVE FASTER!!!" and he just...STOPPED. In mid-stride. The place went nuts.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Just now, jwillis35 said:

Blue Devils. Stunning! The music is so good. It's definitely a fun and demanding musical book. Brass and percussion were on fire. Plenty of cleaning to do for BD, but the level of detail and excellence they have in upper and lower body control and timing is truly wonderful to watch

The way they can extend and push a phrase to perfection is only matched by Crown. The range asked of the performers, the level of articulations, key signature and meter changes, and style changes in the music book are really not matched by anyone...though Crown, Boston, and Bluecoats all do well here. 

Thought their guard was incredible and doing some amazing things. Very demanding book. Visually this show is wonderful. As this continues to clean, and with such a wonderful music book, the GE should be something special. Way to go, BD!

I was going to say the same thing. It's really remarkable. I remember about 10 years ago when people used to complain about their marching technique. Not sure if its changed much since then, but whatever they are doing now is amazing!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Super Don-O said:

I recall seeing Star in '93, during one of the quiet parts someone yelled out "Play Something!"

I recall seeming them boo-ed once too.

Now the show is fondly remembered.

Edited by dcsnare93
  • Like 1

BD is Exhibit A that you don't need to be high concept to be stellar. "The Cutouts" doesn't mean much of anything. It's a device more than it is a structure. Cohesion and legibility can exist on their own terms. Give 150 talented performers a vehicle that allows them to stretch themselves beyond what they think they can do, and the result can be pretty spectacular.

• Like 3

Just now, theonlyfizzle said:

Being entertained is so subjective, because i am purely entertained by BD 100%

Oh, I don’t mean it like that. I’m just saying sometimes people in general have trouble being entertained by art that isn’t as accessible. Blue Devils tend to be more geared toward audience members that are a little more appreciative of eclectic offerings. I don’t mean to say no one finds it entertaining. There a plenty of people who love it as much as you, and I’m glad DCI caters to a rainbow of tastes. No offense intended. 

• Like 4