Battle At The Alamo(dome) - July 22,2023

1 hour ago, saxfreq1128 said:

That didn’t pan out score-wise but I’m happy to offer told you so’s over Bloo guard 🫡

Not showing up in the scores doesn’t mean it isn’t happening. To me, the show communicates so well now musically and has taken big strides visually, just not as much as musically. Crown faces tremendous competition at the top, and improvement doesn’t mean better placement if others above you are improving as fast or faster or if you still have ground to make up. Summary: I still think you called it right on the trend.

Props to you on seeing Bloo’s guard early. Judge had them with achievement over content last night and BAC guard with a 4th on content. I am just so far out of my depth at this level, but so many guards doing spectacular things this year.

Feel free to send me props for being an early believer in BAC’s show this season - no one else will 😂 

Edited by lawdn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

But I wouldn't mind seeing it spin from the first note until it is finally lassoed.

I might agree whole heartedly, except that in the middle of the show the harmonica guy is 20 feet in the air on his platform and the sun is directly behind him, not spinning. 

I would not normally have noticed but the camera did a phenomenal job of framing him in the middle of the sun's "hole" while it was not spinning.  If the sun were spinning it would detract from the musician.  Instead it bought focus and clarity to the harmonica guy. 

I thought that moment was riveting with a laser focus most corps can't achieve with a solo musician standing by himself.  I didn't have to look for him all over the field. He was right there on the 50, in the center with the largest object on the field calling attention to him. 

In that regard, mission  accomplished.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Sorry if someone addressed this in an earlier post but with thousands of comments I might have missed part of the conversation.

I noticed (but forgot about) Troopers don't have their sun prop activated the entire time like they did early season.  I think it's effective to turn it on and off to emphasize transitions between musical sections.

What say you?  Why did Troopers change the way the sun prop is used?

I enjoy staring at the sun when it's on.  When it's not spinning, I lose interest in it. ☀️

1 hour ago, DrumManTx said:

Okay I’ll bite!  

First of all, again, I think the “you’re not a judge” pot shot is always an easy one to make.  I’m a young part of the music education world and designing some.  Am I an expert?  HELL NO!  Do I have some personal observations and opinions about the peak of the activity I am going to spend the rest of my life working in?  Yes.   I think I can.  Just like you or anyone else.   It’s so boring if we just silence ourselves from expressing what we see and hear   

Can Cadets finish 5th?  Absolutely.  They’re close.  If they do it, it will be on the strength of their music performance captions and eeking out some more Music GE points.  They’re playing amazingly well in brass and drums and move pretty well.  The opener is amazing and the first ballad soloist is one of the best of the year.  I like the show a lot.  

Do I think Mandarins and Phantom Regiment have better products?  Yes.  Can Cadets make changes to be more competitive with those two shows?  Yes. But the foundation is weaker than those two.  The theme and overall through thought is not very apparent besides “look how athletic we are” and the Atlas thing in the second ballad (I’ve read and watched all the videos before I get linked those).  The pacing movement to movement is really jerky, especially into Corynorhinus.  The drill makes them look small.  The props are just there and look very much props for props sake, the transition of them into the Zimmer ballad and lack of interaction with them is not very well conceived.   Versus PR and Mandarins who IMO have the best prop usage and integration of the season. They have a ton of variety, orientations, effective staging within the drill, and effect.  Those two shows also flow VERY well musically and visually and feel like a complete and total thought from conception through what you see on the field.  The intent is always incredibly clear.  

I like Cadets show a lot, but I have the personal opinion that it’s a 7th place show this season. I’ll also take it over anything since 2014.  

There you go 🫡 

I very much respect your views and also agree with many of them myself. It’s also very apparent you are more than just a Drum Corps fan but someone with an expert background in the marching activity. Thank you for sharing! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I know I am four hours late, but my kid is a sinner lol. 

Nice, I would want to be a sinner too, lol. Glad to see all 12 tubas are back and let your kid know they have one of my favorite shows this year, I’ll be cheering for them in Indy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mikah said:

I enjoy staring at the sun when it's on.  When it's not spinning, I lose interest in it. ☀️

Can imagine what it costs.  Smaller ones for back yards are not expensive, but they probably wouldn't survive higher wind speeds.

https://mymodernmet.com/anthony-howe-kinetic-sculptures-wind/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIbk4AKFMTc

Edited by TOC

6 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Thanks brother! Mandarins did a great job last night!

To be able to stand there and trade punches with the Cadets and Phantom Regiment speaks volumes. 

I think we can OFFICIALLY say the Mandarins have arrived. 

I've been a fan of JW since he was at Spirit. He'd always know when we were opening the food truck to start breakfast. He'd be there to get his morning coffee. He's a GREAT guy and I always enjoyed talking with him. So glad to see the Mandarins doing so well. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Incidentally,  neither Blue Stars nor Cavaliers are that far off from 5th. 2 points is within competitive groups historically.  Same for Troopers and Colts. They could nip 8th and 9th.

That spread comes and goes all the time.

Something we agree on but others won't 🤝 I'm sure people didn't have BK and Crossmen dropping so much last year or the run the troopers had up. Finding the perfect time to peak is the hardest thing to do in the activity. I'll never forget the high we felt in 08 sitting in 8th and then watched 3 groups wall past us the last week. Still got to be the last outdoor finals but we peaked hard. 

Edited by BlueStainGlass
  • Like 2