Corps in the Heat at Mesquite (TX) - July 24, 2023

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

Because what we (In general) are really saying is we want scores and placement chaos.............as long as my favorite corps isn't negatively impacted by it each night. 

Imagine the craziness on here if Drum Corps Planet existed back in the 70s when scores could go up or down ten points or more from show to show. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

There's a lot of new blood in the judging ranks, which is honestly a good thing. It's good for new perspectives and opinions to be present among the judging ranks. If we always had the same set of judges and never introduced new perspectives into the judging ranks, people would continue complaining (like they already do now) that only certain corps or styles are favored by the judges. 

Would it matter if a judge had little to no drum corps background and be judging shows, in assigned positions?  If a judge had mostly, if not only, WGI experience, what captions would they be appropriate to judge?  I’m all for new judging blood, but if their experience is limited, should they, can they, be judging DCI shows?  I’m curious.  Asking, not challenging.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Would it matter if a judge had little to no drum corps background and be judging shows, in assigned positions?  If a judge had mostly, if not only, WGI experience, what captions would they be appropriate to judge?  I’m all for new judging blood, but if their experience is limited, should they, can they, be judging DCI shows?  I’m curious.  Asking, not challenging.

WGI covers everything caption that's on the DCI sheets. There are so many indoor and outdoor circuits that have judges constantly seeing the next thing that hits DCI. There are people that have degrees with no DCI/Wgi experience still at the top of the field. Having marched drum corps does not make you a great judge. 

Drum Corps International

Judge Requirements

Requirements to become a DCI Judge

Judging for Drum Corps International is a challenging and rewarding experience. DCI does not “train” judges who have no prior experience in the marching arts. We strive to provide the best assessment of our constituent drum corps through a comprehensive vetting and education process for prospective candidates.

The expectation for any prospective judge candidate is that they have extensive background in the marching arts and related education as follows:

Prior judging experience in a marching arts activity

Prior experience as a writer, designer, and/or instructor in the marching arts is highly desirable

Demonstrated ability to judge more than one music caption (brass or percussion, plus music analysis or general effect) or more than one visual caption (field visual, visual analysis, general effect, color guard)

Successful completion of DCI online judge training sessions (for those selected to trial judge)

Summer availability to trial judge at two or more DCI competitions (ideally three to four competitions on two captions)

Edited by BlueStainGlass
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Sensioto said:

I think there was some electromagnetic interference from that big, scary radio tower last night that electrified all the scores. That tower does things.

Aluminum foil hats to all marching members.  

That’s one way to bring back hats!

1 hour ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

Chaos and fluctuations are great! As long as they are representative of what's happening on the field from night to night. The scores last night don't read as a "show of the night" they read as "these people are not applying the sheets the same as the other judges", which is a problem.

The swing in numbers/placements from Saturday to yesterday are way outside the "this group had a better run" range, that's the problem.

What’s your explanation then for why judges in several different categories scored PC lower vs Crossmen than the previous judges?  

Do you believe they are all corrupt or incompetent coincidentally in the same direction?  

Were they directed to score things differently by someone in DCI?  

Is there a conspiracy?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

Chaos and fluctuations are great! As long as they are representative of what's happening on the field from night to night. The scores last night don't read as a "show of the night" they read as "these people are not applying the sheets the same as the other judges", which is a problem.

The swing in numbers/placements from Saturday to yesterday are way outside the "this group had a better run" range, that's the problem.

Seriously, how can you possibly say that? Were you down on the field last night or are you basing that on music that is being transmitted over the internet? 

We all, me included, don't always agree with scores and placements, but I always give myself the reality check that I'm not a judge. I can't judge. I don't have the skills, knowledge, experience or expertise to judge. I doubt you do either. Few of us on here do. Therefore, we have no choice but to trust the judging. It's either that, or get frustrated and angry, and to me that's not worth it. None of us have any control over a number someone is going to write down.

I liked the scores last night. I feel there should be a lot more fluctuation than their is. With largely subjective judging, people are going to have differing opinions, and people here seem to agree with those opinions when it matches theirs and disagree when it doesn't. It doesn't work that way.

Edited by Vuitton
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

What do I want?  I want SCV back, that’s what I want. But I also wanted to hit the Powerball jackpot, so my track record is not good. 

We want the EXACT same things! And then you had to start talking about figure skating. Are you me? Am I you?

Edited by Vuitton

37 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

. Having marched drum corps does not make you a great judge. 

I would think thats true enough. I would not know what makes for a " great judge " over a " so so judge ".  I suppose they are all screened for " great " hearing and eyesight ability and retention of these important physical attributes above all else, especially if they are high up in the box. Good analytical ability to apply the judging sheets DCI has approved and provided to them seems not far behind in requisite ability.  Experience teaching, designing in the Marching Arts field of course goes without saying. They all go thru proper vetting and training before becoming judges. They dont all think alike, nor assess alike. I think thats natural. 

In the end, I believe the field moves in sort of a judging collective wisdom.... and as a result,  I generally think the placements come out about where they ultimately should in the end, with albeit some head scratching caption scores bound to happen some nights during the season.  Its a subjective enterprise. Cant please everybody the byproduct of that.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I don't know what DCI's vetting process is for judges. I can only assume there is some sort of training that is done to ensure everyone is interpreting the sheets in similar ways. But I don't know for sure 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I don't know what DCI's vetting process is for judges. I can only assume there is some sort of training that is done to ensure everyone is interpreting the sheets in similar ways. But I don't know for sure 

My last post was edited to include frlm DCI their criteria. Here's the rest of the info 

https://www.dci.org/static/judge-requirements