Still Crum-bling on the hill in Allentown - August 5, 2023

6 minutes ago, jaylogan said:

My thinking is as follows: If they were treating Atlanta and W/S as one event, they wouldn’t have spelled them out separately as one of 4 events in the first sentence. To me it’s clear the next sentence is referring to the previous relevant sentence when mentioning 4 events.

If corps knew that each event was intended to be a "major regional event" then all corps would go to both. DCI deliberately split up corps between Atlanta and W/S because they no longer have a dome for Atlanta to allow for daytime performances that aren't in the sweltering heat of the south. Remember that in the previous paragraph of the same article where that wording came from, they specified that for corps who attended both, the average of the two scores from Atlanta and W/S would be used to determine Allentown. For corps that didn't attend both, they did NOT use their most recent score to fill in for that 4th show then. 

Edited by brassboy

8 minutes ago, brassboy said:

If corps knew that each event was intended to be a "major regional event" then all corps would go. They deliberately split up corps between Atlanta and W/S because they no longer have a dome for Atlanta to allow for daytime performances that aren't in the sweltering heat of the south. Remember that in the previous paragraph of the same article where that wording came from, they specified that the average of the two scores from Atlanta and W/S would be used to determine Allentown. For corps that didn't attend Atlanta or W/S they didn't use their most recent score to fill in for that 4th show then. 

I guess there is a presumption that the corps don’t know which shows are “regionals” that I don’t yet buy into. Also, it seems reasonable to me that they would make specific rules for ordering for Allentown and another set of rules for ordering in finals. 

I guess we will see when DCI lists the ordering, but for now I find Barneveld’s understanding of the sentences correct.

Edited by jaylogan

21 minutes ago, Metalbinky said:

The corps that performed today had an extra day compared to when they all last competed together at the same show. 

Unless we know everyone’s day to day schedules, and we don’t, everyone has had pretty much the same amount of rehearsal time.  To challenge your assumption, Boston had a 3 day camp this week versus taking on a show. So maybe they got extra time and used it to their advantage.

25 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

But that's not true for everyone, is it? What did Crown do on Thursday and Friday when they weren't performing? Some corps (BD and BAC) got 1 day of rehearsal between Thursday and when they performed at Allentown. Some (Crown) got 2. And one (Bloo) got zero. 

And what is the whole point of this?  It all balances out. Is someone thinking there was some kind of advantage being had by Sat corps?  What would it matter?  Do people think Sat corps scoring was skewed in their favor of because they supposedly had an extra rehearsal?  If so, then make a specific correlation or forget about it.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Metalbinky said:

The corps that performed today had an extra day compared to when they all last competed together at the same show. 

You could also look at it another way: the corps that performed yesterday have an extra day to get ready for Indy. It all evens out in the end.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just re-ran the spreadsheet using the other interpretation (use the average of last weekend's events, and then average those with S.A. and Allentown). The only placement difference would be that Crown and Bloo would swap (Bloo in 3rd, Crown 4th). Everybody else is unchanged.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

King Arthur … we have your liver … come to gate one to claim it 

Best comment of the night. 😂😂😂

• Thanks 1